Used 1999 Ford Escort LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great car !!!
By andy908

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a very good car. With the low price and age, it still runs like a beast. I bought it for $1500 about 6 months ago, runs great. The handling is great, maneuvering is easy, and drives smooth. Mileage is great. I drive about 25 miles a day, have to fill it up every two weeks!!!, about $70/month I use for gas. The red color sure makes it look sporty! In my opinion its a good looking car (contrary to what other people are saying). Make sure to maintain it well regularly. Aged cars need regular care. The only downside I can think of is its acceleration. Acceleration is not so quick or smooth as other newer cars.

Handling, Control, Safety, Maneuvering, Gas Mileage, Reliability. Good for regular commute.

Acceleration

Starting to Show Signs of Wear...
By scottyvillage

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I keep getting check engine soon light. The transmission is burning fluid and I have to flush the transmission fluid out every 4-6 weeks and then the light comes on again. I received a quote from a transmission place in Hayward, CA for a rebuilt transmission for $1600. Another place quoted me $1700 for a used transmission. The car still runs okay, but I keep putting in about $100 every month for flushing the transmission fluid. I've had a fairly good run with this car, and it's time to get a newer vehicle and I plan to keep the Escort as a backup. Still, car needs some work, though. Car has Automatic Transmission and not 5-Speed Manual as indicated when I selected the model.

Great First Car
By tkhan86

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, bought it at 40K miles for about $3K. Best purchase I've ever made to date. My father regularly changed the oil and we took it for regular check-ups. Had to replace the alternator once, and had to replace the breaks & heater at about 100K miles (this was probably more due to the fact that when I was younger, I was a bit excessive with my acceleration and subsequent breaking). Aside from those two things (and the occasional windshield blade needing to be replaced), this car has been incredible. I ran it pretty hard (to and from Virginia for four years) and I think it has lived a VERY full life. I'll miss my ford.

For a 4 cylinder (and a personality in need of speed), it has been good enough for the past 6 years. I tell people that I "zip around town" in my little '99 red ford escort. The pick-up is surprising. Not to mention it's small enough to fit in compact car parking spots!

Forget this ambassador of Ford junk
By elly2

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

When it was new it was problem free but after a few years and miles even with good maintenance and light driving the problems start showing up. I now expect major work on an annual basis. No doubt the CCRM failed on the A/c which is common to this model, rear springs snapped which is also common, engine pipe fell off, speedometer meter in the axle broke, and even the shift console light doesn't work, and now some kind of power sapping engine problem. Driving this car is zero fun and all hassle.

Nobody is going to rifle through it if you forget to lock the doors.

I'd say stop making it but Ford already figured that out.

1999 Escort 4 Door LX
By MacBob

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Basic transportation with good gas mileage. Surprised at the cheap plastic trim that breaks easily. My Escort is basic model, 5 speed, with no P/W or Power Locks, but does have A/C. Good handling and decent performance from 2.0 L motor. * I chose this over buying ZX2 because ZX2 motor(Zetec)less reliable than this basic motor. If you can an obtain a used Escort for a good price, buy one. Otherwise buy a Corolla, Elantra, or comparible better car.

Good gas mileage, handles ok, reliable (if avoid ZX2 model).

Very cheap plastic trim needs improvement.