Used 1999 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort Sedan

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Starting to Show Signs of Wear...
By scottyvillage

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I keep getting check engine soon light. The transmission is burning fluid and I have to flush the transmission fluid out every 4-6 weeks and then the light comes on again. I received a quote from a transmission place in Hayward, CA for a rebuilt transmission for $1600. Another place quoted me $1700 for a used transmission. The car still runs okay, but I keep putting in about $100 every month for flushing the transmission fluid. I've had a fairly good run with this car, and it's time to get a newer vehicle and I plan to keep the Escort as a backup. Still, car needs some work, though. Car has Automatic Transmission and not 5-Speed Manual as indicated when I selected the model.

Great car !!!
By andy908

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a very good car. With the low price and age, it still runs like a beast. I bought it for $1500 about 6 months ago, runs great. The handling is great, maneuvering is easy, and drives smooth. Mileage is great. I drive about 25 miles a day, have to fill it up every two weeks!!!, about $70/month I use for gas. The red color sure makes it look sporty! In my opinion its a good looking car (contrary to what other people are saying). Make sure to maintain it well regularly. Aged cars need regular care. The only downside I can think of is its acceleration. Acceleration is not so quick or smooth as other newer cars.

Favorite Features

Handling, Control, Safety, Maneuvering, Gas Mileage, Reliability. Good for regular commute.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE
By zescown

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My car is actually an automatic transmission. I bought it for 1,500 used and it had around 164,000 miles on it with new brakes. It's my first car that I bought and is mine. It's small and has good mobility. It's really good on gas. My dads Chevy Tahoe has a 20 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week while my car has a 10 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week but this is an estimate from experience. It depends on how much you drive. It's fun drifting around in the winter time using the E-Brake. It also has a spoiler which I like. I read on the wheels that it can hold a max weight of 1,100 something pounds.

Favorite Features

High miles per gallon. Reliable transportation. Front seats can angle super far back that you can practically sleep in the car.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if there was an arm rest on the right side of the drivers seat. Would also be good if there was more cup holders for the back seats. It would be really nice to have a bigger gas tank so I don't need to fill it up once a week or two meaning I would fill it up once every 2 to 3 weeks. It also has a cassette player which I don't have any and in today's days there are CD players which would be nice on the car.

Great First Car
By tkhan86

1999 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, bought it at 40K miles for about $3K. Best purchase I've ever made to date. My father regularly changed the oil and we took it for regular check-ups. Had to replace the alternator once, and had to replace the breaks & heater at about 100K miles (this was probably more due to the fact that when I was younger, I was a bit excessive with my acceleration and subsequent breaking). Aside from those two things (and the occasional windshield blade needing to be replaced), this car has been incredible. I ran it pretty hard (to and from Virginia for four years) and I think it has lived a VERY full life. I'll miss my ford.

Favorite Features

For a 4 cylinder (and a personality in need of speed), it has been good enough for the past 6 years. I tell people that I "zip around town" in my little '99 red ford escort. The pick-up is surprising. Not to mention it's small enough to fit in compact car parking spots!

still runs good
By draculara_0427

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I brought a 1999 ford escort with 125000 something miles on it. (don't remember the exact mileage) but I've had it for 2 years now I haven't had any major problems just replaced the starter. Monthly service like oil changes and tune up stuff like that other than that still a good running car. It has about 144000 miles on it and its been a good little family car. Still gets me where I need to go. I say it would be a great car for a high school student or college student. Planning to purchase another vehicle soon and i will keep this one.