Used 1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

fordtovw
By Joe

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Got the car as a gift from my grandfather for my first car. Had 115k on it. Now has 123k and is sitting in my driveway. I loved it when I first got it... But it started to deteriorate substantially after a rough new england winter. Traction is terrible, but never killed me. Always idled very rough, car shakes when not moving. Rusts out cery bad. Tranny started to shift hard, throwing code for tranny failure. Got rid of it for an '05 jetta, Love it much more. All in all, not a bad choice for a first car/cheap transportation

I love my ZX2! Very roomy for such a small car!
By cayce106

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my car brand new 12 years ago and am still driving it. I wish Ford still made these, because I would definitely buy another one. This car has never let me down. I've had three collisions in this car (none my fault) all on the front ends and stayed safe through all three. This car is very peppy- you can pull out very quickly and you can zoom uphill with no problem. Other than some maintenance (new alternator at 90,000 miles, new break pads, a few batteries, a repair on the air conditioner) I've had no major problems. The only complaints are that it's hard to get into the back seat, but once you're there it's pretty roomy.

I love how the back seats fold down and I can even fit my double bass back there! Great for a college student since it pretty much held my entire dorm room when I moved out every summer. For such a small car, it holds a lot of stuff. I also love my moon roof. The cd player and sound system are great, however the tape player broke within the first year I had it. However, I've only recently begun to miss the tape player when I wish I could hook up my ipod through the tape deck. The paint on my car has held up well, as well as the interior upholstery. This car is also pretty fuel efficient.

still going
By rosa

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought this used, and now has over 200,000 miles on it, and still going strong, absolutly great gas mileage, but the ride is bumpy and noisy, but it's basic and cheap transportation, moon roof is neat, body paint still shines, replaced thrmostat, timing belt, rods, battery, tires. will drive it til it dies.

moon roof

Look Good for Cheap
By Subaroid!

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This is a good, cheap piece of transportation. There's not much to this car, just the bare necessities. Crank windows, no CD player, no A/C. It's got 108,000 miles on it, and has done well for a Ford. Only replaced the alternator and an idler pulley so far (relatively cheap fixes, $400, $100), have done the brakes; rotors and pads front for $50. It's got the 2.0 liter engine and a 5 speed manual so it gets good mileage (25 or so with me driving it hard), has good handling, and is fun to drive. It's due for a clutch, and there are squeaks, rattles, and oil leaks. Interior trim pieces are also falling off.

Good performance, handling. Good mileage (25-28). Cheap to own. Looks cool!

Where's the CD player and A/C? Uncomfortable seats, noisy inside, choppy ride and noisy, buzzy engine. Cheap interior.

99 Ford ZX2 5 speed
By Randy

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Purchased with 89K and so far it has been a steal. Fun to drive, very peppy and handles nicely. Have the primo sound 6 disc changer and it sounds great. Gas mileage mostly highway is 29mpg. (moderate driving speeds/acceleration)

Sun roof and 6 disc cd. Geared for someone who likes to drive.

Engine is noisy. Long trips not the best as the seat comfort up front is not the best. Red paint faded slightly.

• SUV