Used 1999 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort Coupe

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great Car!
By yaknow

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My familly has owned a ford escort sport zx2 from 1999 to now. of the course of its life a huge tree has fell on it and still it runs. however some of the accessories arent doing so well, cd changer and cassette tape doesnt function perhaps because the wiring is faulty after being repaired from the tree. It is now my first car and it is great. i love how it rides. i usually dont like carpeted interior but this car wouldn be what it is if it didnt have the carpeted interior. I encourage everyone to buy it unless you are like 6 feet tall cause it has a low roof.

Favorite Features

CD changer (when it worked) Carpeted interior

Very good car
By eskimopride

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

i bought the car for 1200 and i only had to replace the altinator at round 95k its been replaced once before that. Its a sporty little coupe. The seats are comfortable for a 2.4 hour drive. I was surpirsed how much room there was in the back seat im 5;11 and i can have the seat where i would drive and still have a little room not much but better then the cavalier

Favorite Features

the manual, peppyness of the engine

Suggested Improvements

more cubby holes, and shudve been more of a coupe interior like the probe

I love my ZX2! Very roomy for such a small car!
By cayce106

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my car brand new 12 years ago and am still driving it. I wish Ford still made these, because I would definitely buy another one. This car has never let me down. I've had three collisions in this car (none my fault) all on the front ends and stayed safe through all three. This car is very peppy- you can pull out very quickly and you can zoom uphill with no problem. Other than some maintenance (new alternator at 90,000 miles, new break pads, a few batteries, a repair on the air conditioner) I've had no major problems. The only complaints are that it's hard to get into the back seat, but once you're there it's pretty roomy.

Favorite Features

I love how the back seats fold down and I can even fit my double bass back there! Great for a college student since it pretty much held my entire dorm room when I moved out every summer. For such a small car, it holds a lot of stuff. I also love my moon roof. The cd player and sound system are great, however the tape player broke within the first year I had it. However, I've only recently begun to miss the tape player when I wish I could hook up my ipod through the tape deck. The paint on my car has held up well, as well as the interior upholstery. This car is also pretty fuel efficient.

First New Car
By Steve

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sadly I don't have this car anymore, but I wanted to write a review anyway. It was the first car I ever bought brand spanking new (with only 9 miles on it). It was sharp looking, unbelievably reliable, surprisingly good in the snow, and served me well for the 5 years I owned it. I traded it in for my current car, 2005 Volvo S40 turbo, but still miss it and sometimes wish I still had it.

Favorite Features

Styling, reliability, great gas mileage, and a lot of fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Toss the ZX3 and bring the ZX2 back!

LOVE IT
By elizabeth

1999 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, got it when I was 16 I'm almost 19 now. When my mom gave it to me it had 150,000 miles. Now it has 215,700. Its been totaled twice. Been involved in a few more little wrecks. I've backed into 4 cars (hasn't messed up either car either time) the timing belt broke on it. Thought the motor was gone, but it wasn't. I tore the front end up and the hole drivers side door up by hitting a fence. It chirps wheels in second gear. I couldn't have asked for a better first car. Gas mileage. Filled it up today for 28$ itll run 300 miles a tank. My kids will probably be driving this car. I have a spare exact same car (but it has a sunroof) with 140,000 on it when the motor blows in this one.

Favorite Features

6 disk cd changer, cute look, easy gas mileage, drives easy, can hold up well in wrecks, the junk yards sell parts for it everyday. insurance not high. cute colors. great first car for anyone. oh its quick too.