Used 1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Got it used at 80,000. About to hit 200,000
By Rob

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I heard that the automatics can be not so reliable. I have the 5 speed and I love it.
No major repairs in the 6 years I've had it. Got it used with about 80,000 miles on it and it's going to be hitting 200,000 this year. I fully expect to get 300,000 minimum.
This car is amazing in the snow and overall handling.The dimensions or center of gravity must be just right because this this is a serious trooper. I Live in North East Pennsylvania, I've commuted to my job as a snow plow driver in snow nearly a foot deep to where the bumper was pushing snow. Rain, snow, ice whatever you throw at it as long as you know what you're doing it can handle it all.

Decent for local, bad for distance
By Josh

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

We were the second owners of this car and it was good at first but after making numerous trips of over 500 miles the car did not prove to be reliable. We had many problems with the belt and brakes. It was very small for us. Once we stayed local and drove only 3 mile a day, we were ok and didn't have prolems, but it always felt like the car was in the shop.

Great Car!
By yaknow

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My familly has owned a ford escort sport zx2 from 1999 to now. of the course of its life a huge tree has fell on it and still it runs. however some of the accessories arent doing so well, cd changer and cassette tape doesnt function perhaps because the wiring is faulty after being repaired from the tree.
It is now my first car and it is great. i love how it rides. i usually dont like carpeted interior but this car wouldn be what it is if it didnt have the carpeted interior.
I encourage everyone to buy it unless you are like 6 feet tall cause it has a low roof.

CD changer (when it worked) Carpeted interior

Very good car
By eskimopride

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

i bought the car for 1200 and i only had to replace the altinator at round 95k its been replaced once before that. Its a sporty little coupe. The seats are comfortable for a 2.4 hour drive. I was surpirsed how much room there was in the back seat im 5;11 and i can have the seat where i would drive and still have a little room not much but better then the cavalier

the manual, peppyness of the engine

more cubby holes, and shudve been more of a coupe interior like the probe

First New Car
By Steve

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sadly I don't have this car anymore, but I wanted to write a review anyway. It was the first car I ever bought brand spanking new (with only 9 miles on it). It was sharp looking, unbelievably reliable, surprisingly good in the snow, and served me well for the 5 years I owned it. I traded it in for my current car, 2005 Volvo S40 turbo, but still miss it and sometimes wish I still had it.

Styling, reliability, great gas mileage, and a lot of fun to drive.

Toss the ZX3 and bring the ZX2 back!