1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Great Car!
By yaknow on 06/09/12 17:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My familly has owned a ford escort sport zx2 from 1999 to now. of the course of its life a huge tree has fell on it and still it runs. however some of the accessories arent doing so well, cd changer and cassette tape doesnt function perhaps because the wiring is faulty after being repaired from the tree. It is now my first car and it is great. i love how it rides. i usually dont like carpeted interior but this car wouldn be what it is if it didnt have the carpeted interior. I encourage everyone to buy it unless you are like 6 feet tall cause it has a low roof.

Very good car
By eskimopride on 03/20/11 11:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

i bought the car for 1200 and i only had to replace the altinator at round 95k its been replaced once before that. Its a sporty little coupe. The seats are comfortable for a 2.4 hour drive. I was surpirsed how much room there was in the back seat im 5;11 and i can have the seat where i would drive and still have a little room not much but better then the cavalier

First New Car
By Steve on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sadly I don't have this car anymore, but I wanted to write a review anyway. It was the first car I ever bought brand spanking new (with only 9 miles on it). It was sharp looking, unbelievably reliable, surprisingly good in the snow, and served me well for the 5 years I owned it. I traded it in for my current car, 2005 Volvo S40 turbo, but still miss it and sometimes wish I still had it.

LOVE IT
By elizabeth on 03/12/10 20:12 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, got it when I was 16 I'm almost 19 now. When my mom gave it to me it had 150,000 miles. Now it has 215,700. Its been totaled twice. Been involved in a few more little wrecks. I've backed into 4 cars (hasn't messed up either car either time) the timing belt broke on it. Thought the motor was gone, but it wasn't. I tore the front end up and the hole drivers side door up by hitting a fence. It chirps wheels in second gear. I couldn't have asked for a better first car. Gas mileage. Filled it up today for 28$ itll run 300 miles a tank. My kids will probably be driving this car. I have a spare exact same car (but it has a sunroof) with 140,000 on it when the motor blows in this one.

Beautiful and fast
By seekbob on 07/08/08 15:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is great looking and fun to drive with 25 to 30 mpg. I have had it for over 4 years. I have replaced front brakes and tires and one tie rod that is it. Best car I ever had.

Great
By HERB on 04/04/08 07:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Drives and handles great. Looks great. Drove it to New Orleans and back last year with no problems at all. Didn't even have it checked out before I left, I have that much faith in it. Just routine maintenance, nothing more.

Ford Failure
By 1REDZX2 on 12/27/07 12:17 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Bought this for my daughter for features, price and CU rating. Noisiest engine,sounds like a diesel, replaced both driveshafts before 60k, now at 85k one is failing again. Both ABS wheels cracked prior to 60K. Odd sized tires that you'll pay a premium for. At least it still looks good

Great car
By Mr. Burger on 09/21/07 12:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have put 194,000 miles on so far and have had no maintenance issues thus far. Change the oil every 3,500, that's it. Am still averaging 35.4 MPG. This has been a great can and expect to get 300,000 miles out of it easy.

DO NOT BUY
By Hatemycar on 03/12/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have had such a bad time with this car. I have put two transmissions in it and it had left me stranded numerous times.

So far, so good!
By Dover ZX2 on 12/27/05 20:53 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sporty, quick car that's fun to drive! I bought my ZX2 with 30,000 miles in 2001 for $8K. I have put 90,000 more miles on it in 4 years. This car gets great gas mileage on the highway… my best was 39 mpg. Some gripes: tends to drift on concrete pavement. Engine is loud over 70 mph. I agree with a few reviewers, this car has a mind of its own. My cruise control will stop working randomly. The horn went off by itself … I had to pull the fuse! I bought an extended warranty which was a great investment … it covered the cost of replacing the entire AC system, alternator, radio/cassette, tie rod, and horn.