1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE
By zescown on 10/31/12 12:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My car is actually an automatic transmission. I bought it for 1,500 used and it had around 164,000 miles on it with new brakes. It's my first car that I bought and is mine. It's small and has good mobility. It's really good on gas. My dads Chevy Tahoe has a 20 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week while my car has a 10 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week but this is an estimate from experience. It depends on how much you drive. It's fun drifting around in the winter time using the E-Brake. It also has a spoiler which I like. I read on the wheels that it can hold a max weight of 1,100 something pounds.

still runs good
By draculara_0427 on 01/24/12 08:16 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I brought a 1999 ford escort with 125000 something miles on it. (don't remember the exact mileage) but I've had it for 2 years now I haven't had any major problems just replaced the starter. Monthly service like oil changes and tune up stuff like that other than that still a good running car. It has about 144000 miles on it and its been a good little family car. Still gets me where I need to go. I say it would be a great car for a high school student or college student. Planning to purchase another vehicle soon and i will keep this one.

Great all around car
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car.I bought it in 2004 with 17k and currently has 106k.I'm not a FORD lover,I only bought it cause it was in my price range and got good reviews.Ive fixed only brakes, rotors, belt, tie rod and flex pipe piece ($1050).Just moved cross country with almost 900lbs of stuff.No problems handling it at 85 mph. Does display the common rough idle which most escorts do just due to the type of engine.So far it beat the life of my parents chevy malibu and dodge intrepid, which blew head gaskets and transmissions before 100k.I'm not a car guy,dont prefer one brand over another,but this car doesn't die, starts every time. Not much to look at. Gets you from A to B with no problems at all.

1999 ford escort 2.0 4 dr auto
By theresa on 03/09/10 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Well, I guess this car is pretty reliable, in a way. Always starts on the first try, but here lately it has nickeled and dimed me to death. And finally, the number 4 valve seat is shot. A common problem with this car, as I have found. Gonna cost 1100.00 to fix and I only paid 1500.00 for the car 3 years ago. So sell for junk I guess.

Best car to learn how to drive on!
By Nikki on 06/09/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car for me to learn how to drive on in 2005. 4 years later, we've put about 20K miles on it and it still runs great. It gets me back and forth between school and home whenever I need it to, and even survived large tree branches falling on it during an intense wind storm with just a few dents and a broken windshield. It has its quirks, but it's an old car at this point and will. My parents bought my sister another escort after I got my license so I could drive this one, never had any problems!

Stayed in the Family
By Commuter Scooter on 05/19/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Car was purchased very inexpensively as a commuter scooter. I needed cheap miles and this car fit the bill. Only 8400 miles at the time of purchase but with hail damage that didn't affect operation. Issues have been easy to fix (relay module, tie rod end and vacuum hose) but otherwise no problems in over 100,000 miles. It has never left anyone stranded. Great gas mileage city or open road. Easy to work on by a shade tree mechanic. Now my daughter considers it "her" car for use at college. I see it several times a year now and keep the maintenance up for her. She understands the economics of inexpensive, reliable transportation instead of a fashion statement.

chopped
By Duck on 04/06/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my escort from a shoty used car guy after I wrecked my Neon. I've been into modding cars since I was 16 so the thought of getting an Escourt didnt thrill me in the least. Big time surprise to me swapped the original motor for a 2000 DOHC Ztec ZX2 w/ 74k miles then began the work on this car, my feul economy is sorta my fault....:P but other than that no real complaints with the new ZX2 motor and upgrades its quick, still great for long trips.....not only that but I'm killin mustangs off the line and putting 140 easy on the speedo and 11.6 on the board

engine idle vibration
By Lynn on 03/07/09 11:19 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a salvage 1998 Ford Escort SE Sedan with 63,000 miles and LOVED it. I had it for almost seven years and parted with it because of a rusted frame. It had 138,000 miles and was running strong. I loved it so much that I recently bought a 1999 Ford Escort with 65,000 miles. I'm sorry to say the engine idle vibration and a constant exhaust-like noise has forced me to ask for a replacement vehicle. My 1998 Escort never had this problem though it did have broken coil springs. I found the TSB 031515 but the local Ford dealership said the problem may or may not be resolved with mount replacements and such so my GM dealership didn't take the chance on the costs of repairs.

I love my car!
By syne on 03/01/09 19:46 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I purchased it with 83k miles on it. Five years later and we're up to 160k, and the timing belt just broke. But it's okay because my model has a non interference engine so it didn't do any other damage besides leaving me in a parking lot. I've done little to no maintenance in the last 80k miles and its been so good to me! I hope I can get this past 200k, and am planning on keeping it until it it dies. Fuel economy slowly shrinking, now its about 26mpg combined.

Going strong
By michigan91 on 01/02/09 00:36 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have always been a fan of Escorts and was excited to get one as my first car. It was purchased in July of 2006 with 79,000 miles and I'm almost to 91,000. When I bought the car the radio had stuff spilled in it so that was replaced. My check engine light gave me trouble for an idle speed thing, fixed and it idles very well. Other than that I blew one rusty trans line, the CEL is on again for the EGR valve (im ignoring it) and my blower motor just went, but other than the trans line which is expected in a winter climate, all my repairs have been cheap and have not been detrimental to the car in terms of running. Hasn't left me stranded, and we're almost to 91,000 miles.