1999 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE
By zescown on 10/31/12 12:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My car is actually an automatic transmission. I bought it for 1,500 used and it had around 164,000 miles on it with new brakes. It's my first car that I bought and is mine. It's small and has good mobility. It's really good on gas. My dads Chevy Tahoe has a 20 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week while my car has a 10 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week but this is an estimate from experience. It depends on how much you drive. It's fun drifting around in the winter time using the E-Brake. It also has a spoiler which I like. I read on the wheels that it can hold a max weight of 1,100 something pounds.

Great Car!
By yaknow on 06/09/12 17:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My familly has owned a ford escort sport zx2 from 1999 to now. of the course of its life a huge tree has fell on it and still it runs. however some of the accessories arent doing so well, cd changer and cassette tape doesnt function perhaps because the wiring is faulty after being repaired from the tree. It is now my first car and it is great. i love how it rides. i usually dont like carpeted interior but this car wouldn be what it is if it didnt have the carpeted interior. I encourage everyone to buy it unless you are like 6 feet tall cause it has a low roof.

Starting to Show Signs of Wear...
By scottyvillage on 02/08/12 14:34 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I keep getting check engine soon light. The transmission is burning fluid and I have to flush the transmission fluid out every 4-6 weeks and then the light comes on again. I received a quote from a transmission place in Hayward, CA for a rebuilt transmission for $1600. Another place quoted me $1700 for a used transmission. The car still runs okay, but I keep putting in about $100 every month for flushing the transmission fluid. I've had a fairly good run with this car, and it's time to get a newer vehicle and I plan to keep the Escort as a backup. Still, car needs some work, though. Car has Automatic Transmission and not 5-Speed Manual as indicated when I selected the model.

still runs good
By draculara_0427 on 01/24/12 08:16 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I brought a 1999 ford escort with 125000 something miles on it. (don't remember the exact mileage) but I've had it for 2 years now I haven't had any major problems just replaced the starter. Monthly service like oil changes and tune up stuff like that other than that still a good running car. It has about 144000 miles on it and its been a good little family car. Still gets me where I need to go. I say it would be a great car for a high school student or college student. Planning to purchase another vehicle soon and i will keep this one.

Great First Car
By tkhan86 on 01/12/12 19:15 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, bought it at 40K miles for about $3K. Best purchase I've ever made to date. My father regularly changed the oil and we took it for regular check-ups. Had to replace the alternator once, and had to replace the breaks & heater at about 100K miles (this was probably more due to the fact that when I was younger, I was a bit excessive with my acceleration and subsequent breaking). Aside from those two things (and the occasional windshield blade needing to be replaced), this car has been incredible. I ran it pretty hard (to and from Virginia for four years) and I think it has lived a VERY full life. I'll miss my ford.

Forget this ambassador of Ford junk
By elly2 on 03/21/11 22:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

When it was new it was problem free but after a few years and miles even with good maintenance and light driving the problems start showing up. I now expect major work on an annual basis. No doubt the CCRM failed on the A/c which is common to this model, rear springs snapped which is also common, engine pipe fell off, speedometer meter in the axle broke, and even the shift console light doesn't work, and now some kind of power sapping engine problem. Driving this car is zero fun and all hassle.

Very good car
By eskimopride on 03/20/11 11:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

i bought the car for 1200 and i only had to replace the altinator at round 95k its been replaced once before that. Its a sporty little coupe. The seats are comfortable for a 2.4 hour drive. I was surpirsed how much room there was in the back seat im 5;11 and i can have the seat where i would drive and still have a little room not much but better then the cavalier

I love my ZX2! Very roomy for such a small car!
By cayce106 on 02/02/11 14:55 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my car brand new 12 years ago and am still driving it. I wish Ford still made these, because I would definitely buy another one. This car has never let me down. I've had three collisions in this car (none my fault) all on the front ends and stayed safe through all three. This car is very peppy- you can pull out very quickly and you can zoom uphill with no problem. Other than some maintenance (new alternator at 90,000 miles, new break pads, a few batteries, a repair on the air conditioner) I've had no major problems. The only complaints are that it's hard to get into the back seat, but once you're there it's pretty roomy.

Great all around car
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car.I bought it in 2004 with 17k and currently has 106k.I'm not a FORD lover,I only bought it cause it was in my price range and got good reviews.Ive fixed only brakes, rotors, belt, tie rod and flex pipe piece ($1050).Just moved cross country with almost 900lbs of stuff.No problems handling it at 85 mph. Does display the common rough idle which most escorts do just due to the type of engine.So far it beat the life of my parents chevy malibu and dodge intrepid, which blew head gaskets and transmissions before 100k.I'm not a car guy,dont prefer one brand over another,but this car doesn't die, starts every time. Not much to look at. Gets you from A to B with no problems at all.

First New Car
By Steve on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sadly I don't have this car anymore, but I wanted to write a review anyway. It was the first car I ever bought brand spanking new (with only 9 miles on it). It was sharp looking, unbelievably reliable, surprisingly good in the snow, and served me well for the 5 years I owned it. I traded it in for my current car, 2005 Volvo S40 turbo, but still miss it and sometimes wish I still had it.