Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Reliable!
By Diane

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have 190K miles on this car and it is still going strong! It serves its purpose, but now I am feeling that it may be on its last leg (the gas mileage is lowering and it struggles a little to get up certain hills), but I haven't had any major breakdowns or work done to it - just a timing belt and the e-brake chain. Brakes are worn easily, but I stop and go a lot. A fine little car that does a decent job.

Favorite Features

There is no one outstanding feature - - it is just that everything is good, and there hasn't been any big problems. The reliability of this car is the best feature I guess. 3 cup holders!

Suggested Improvements

Can't open the trunk when the car is running (maybe it is safer though, that it doesn't). Can't use cigarette lighter plug thing while using one cup holder. Also, position of steering wheel in relation to seat is a little awkward - no tilt wheel. Seems like wheel is too far away.

Great Car
By claus

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in '02 with 29000 miles on it. It now has 106000 and I have had to replace the water pump, timing belt, tie rods 3x, serpentine belt a few times and the ac is out on it right now, but other than that it has been a reliable car to get me through college. Excellent gas mileage and sound system.

Favorite Features

The zippiness of it, sporty look, and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Inside trunk release, passenger keyless entry, more horsepower.

No more Fords!
By Frank

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Had an 87 Escort wagon made in New Jersey, got good basic A-to-B transportation & made it to 250,000 mi. So I got this newer 1998 replacement but only made it to 150,000 & had to junk it. Was made in Mexico & had many poor quality problems (rust, bad dash & dome lights, replaced P/S, etc & finally internal engine damage). Have had other Fords before & know they're generally lesser quality than other brands, but this was worst experience. Now I'm an angry ex-Ford customer.

Favorite Features

Cheap to buy. Gas mileage 27 to 30 MPG. Interior space of wagon model

1998 Escort SE - A great, reliable car!
By Scooter

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in '98 for my wife to drive around town, an SE Sport model that's still fun to drive. After 9 years and only 31,000 miles, the engine still has a lot of pep and gets GREAT gas mileage. No major repairs other than a serpentine belt and A/C work (common to Escorts). Most problems due to age rather that normal wear and tear. Routine maintenance was as expected. Will be a great car to pass on down to the kids!

Favorite Features

Sporty look, fuel economy, roomy interior, good size trunk, A/C, all power w/ tilt-steering and cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior seating for better comfort, fit and finish needs work, need to reduce engine and road noise.

A great small car value
By Satisfied owner

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We bought our Escort SE new in January 1998. This car was going to be a commuter car for my wife. Well, nine and a half years and 100,000 miles later it is still commuting! It has been a very reliable car. The only thing we have done is change the oil and replace items as they wore out. We replaced the struts/springs in 2005 and the clutch in Sept of 2006. Overall cost of ownership has been low and the gas mileage is still good (30mpg+). Other than a dent on the left rear quarter panel from a parking lot fender bender the body is still in good shape.