1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
best car i've ever owned
By mevix on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned my escort since brand new, it's only had 2 things ever go wrong, stereo when it was fairly new and the other the electronic sensor for the a/c. I was told by a Ford mechanic that it was a design flaw and in 1999 it was changed. This is the best car I've ever owned, 100% reliable, great gas mileage, roomy inside for a compact car. Sorry to say I was involved in an accident this week, got hit by an S10 truck directly in the left front, and I think held up well. Unfortunately it was totalled and I can honestly say I'm devastated as it was such a great car! Too bad Ford quit making them.

Fun to Drive Expensive to fix.
By Erinf on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I bought this car back in 2000, off a lease. Got the extended warranty. Until 60k the car was fine. I had one transmission problem, which the dealership fixed and gave me a rental for a week. At around 60k things got scarey. Repairs in the 2-3k range, all over the place. It like the car had been built to survive just past the warranty then totally fall apart... hondas and toyotas don't do this, why do fords?

weee
By iced98lx on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

The 5spd helps with performance, and it never breaks down, get 38mpg on the road, what more do I need?

good for the money
By triniman on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This is a fun little car that is good on gas and cheaper to maintain. problem free if you ask me

Good Car
By SSOASS on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Note: My reliability rating are based on my past 99 escort. Good littel car, fun to drive. Interior recalls all the American sports coups of the 1980's, this car doesnt look at all foreign, unlike some newer Fords. Nice pickup, great handling.

My ZX2 experience
By SarMK on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased my ZX2 used about a year and a half ago. With the exception of some trouble getting it started on some brutally cold winter days (which was remedied by a coolant flush which was probably due anyway) this car has been very reliable! I even drove it cross-country from NY to AZ and was pleased with the my car's performance. My only complaint- sometimes it gets a little shakey at the higher speeds, but much better than my last escort! Overall rating- an attractive, reliable car that was affordable for a college student even with lots of options.

ford zx2
By Dashbrdluvr on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I've had my car for a few months, and i really don't have anything bad to say about it. It has a lot more power than I thought it would have and its performance is exellent.

Definitely a Great Car
By ZX24ME on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have 90000 miles and no major repairs or maintenance issues (5speed Manual). Sporty and stylish with a modest price tag. I bought it at a time when I never imagined I would own an American manufactured vehicle, and voila, I have been duly converted. Cheers to the designers and engineers. Great Car!

a good car
By rpm2424 on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

150000 and going strong it great!!!

Peppy
By focusser on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I was most impressed with the car's solid feel and responsiveness. The car is 5 years old yet responds with real vigor. Had to replace the front left cable and align the wheels.. otherwise its been trouble free.