Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

1998 ZX2 Escort
By 87irocZ28camaro

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The Escort isn't the best car but for the price come on. It never had trouble only needed a new pair of cheap tires and some cheap brakes and that was right before I sold it. It's a great car. Family look but great performance. Get one if you want a reliable cheap sport car.

Favorite Features

Performance, spoiler, traction, miles, and mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Interior, rims, cargo area

My First Car
By Dre

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I just resently got a 98 Ford Escort LX as my first car. When I first saw it I wasn't very happy with it. It just didn't look quite right. Now that I have it I really like it. My Escort only has 74,950 miles on it! Not bad for a 98.

Favorite Features

I really like the power windows, locks, and mirrors. The front is very roomy and even the back too, and I am 5'10".

Suggested Improvements

A inside trunk release would be nice and a standard CD player.

It Could Be Worse (but not much)
By Justin

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Do not get this car if you enjoy driving or like cars even a little bit. You'll be dissapointed with the performance, handling and just about everything. Fuel economy is great as long as you don't touch the gas and don't look at the A/C. I don't think the designers even knew what fun-to-drive meant. Interior is basic. Not even a tach or cd player. If you stare at the exterior long enough it starts to look alright. It's only broken down on me once because of a bad alternator but there are a few parts that have needed replacing in the two years I've had it. (Motor mounts twice and A/C.) The trunk leaks on the right too. Summary: If you're old or don't like cars, the Escort is for you.

Favorite Features

The only things I like about the car are the few things I've done to it. The sound system, intake and wheels. And it was free from the grandparents.Obviously I wouldn't have bought the car.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start? Power, handling, cd player, more MPGs when using the A/C or the gas pedal the slightest bit, and a tachometer even though it's an automatic.

Very trusty, reliable car
By artbkward

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven my 98 Escort since I turned 16 (8 years ago), it has never required any more than routine repair. It's got 147,000 miles on it now and still has alot of life left in it. Gets good fuel mileage although does have small spot of rust on the door. I added a CD player since it came with AM/FM radio only. It's been a great little car for me, I would highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior despite small size, reliablity, fuel mileage,

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder doesn't fit large drink while car is in park. Rear cup holder isn't deep enough: drink spills when going around turns. CD player should be standard. Rear defrost.

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great
By Andrew

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!

Favorite Features

Drivability, 35 MPG at 75 mph highway speeds, sound system, reliability, sporty looks, the whole packet. Job well done, you could still make this model.

Suggested Improvements

Internal trunk release! Everything else is as should be for a car this size!