1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Fixed Or Repaired Daily
By Steffidips on 01/08/05 12:13 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car was great for the first four years of existence, but soon began developing small problems here and there. Those small problems have now developed into large problems with the transmission, the flex plate in the shifter and the fact that I get a back massage each time it is at idle because the idle is so rough. Despite these problems, the car can still handle well through corners and can keep up with some of the most moderately priced vehicles. Great car for a new driver.

Love our little Red Escort
By rail81 on 01/03/05 18:55 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used as a replacement for a Nissan Sentra. Other than being a little noisy, it's been a great car. It now has 110K on the odometer and still going strong. We've had to replace motor mounts and the drive axles in the past few months but at 100K those are wear items anyway. This car has been flawless otherwise. Car has never had to go in for service except for routine maintenance items. For those who are shopping, stay away from the dual cam engine unless you just gotta have the power. Routine maintenance for the twin cammer is far more expensive than the single cammer, or so I've read.

My Escort
By Sonia on 12/08/04 21:33 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've had my Escort for 6 and a half years. I bought it brand new and it is as reliable today as it was back in June 1998! It has almost 130,000 miles and going strong. It even survived about two years of being used by my wild teenage son. When this car finally retires, I will definately want to buy another Ford. Wish they still had Escorts.

Excellent economical car!
By carbunny on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This is an excellent car if you want an inexpensive car and don't car much about extras. This was my first car. I have had it for 6 years, have 50,000 miles on it and nothing on it has EVER broken. It is a "bare minimum" car...no casette player, no cd player, no power windows, etc. But...if what you are looking for is low price and good performance this is the car.

I love my ZX2
By BonBon on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My car is great. Good gas mileage, reliable, small (but not too small!), sporty....Ford did a great job.

Nice Nice Nice car
By Mr on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Second car my car for running around town love the car love the silver color hope to have it another 10 years. Have a grand marquie for other car feel safer with grandkids in bigger car, escott is a nice nice nice car and I love it.

It just keeps on going
By mruconn on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 LX after my 1993 Ecort GT started to give me problems and it was the most affordable car for me at taht time. I bought it new with 18 miles on it and as of today, 6/10/04, I now have 209,670 miles. No major problems, just things are wearing out but that is to be expected, plus I ma still getting 35+ mpg. It just keeps running and running, maybe thats why Ford discontinued it, it was too good.

Zippy
By cb on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car, fun to drive and great on gas. There is a small rattle in the engine that is from a cap that cannot be removed so it hits the hood of the car causing the rattle.I also had to change the front left tie rod on only 33000 miles. Those were the only problems that have arised; Otherwise I have had no other problems with it.

Great Car
By Pauline Stewart on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I had this car for less than a year and it had a lot of miles on it when i bought it. i bought i for $3,000. i though that was a good deal. i am a senior in high school and use it everyday to go to school, work and sometimes the mall. I really like my car. It is depenable, has great gas milage and it is just a perfect car for someone;s first car.

Good car
By Sis on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car for the most part. Handled well, good in snow, easy to drive, spunky. Repairs over 4 years included new fuel pump, new tie rods three times, one brake job. The last two break downs were almost the end. The CV joint broke, literally, in the middle of the road. No warning that is was bad. That was relatively cheap to repair. But the same week, we had to deal with the engine light on constantly. The code told us something was wrong with the cam shaft. Apparently, this model has the V-tech engine. Cam shaft repairs would be around $800-1000. What to do with trade-in value of $1800 at best? We traded it in and will probably never buy another.