1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
great little car that keeps on running!
By markiejohng on 06/14/06 21:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Ford Escort LX back in Sept. of 2005 and this car has been nothing but a great little ride. It is very reliable, has peppy performance with the 5-speed, drives very well, the interior is very functional, and the body is in excellent shape. It provides me with great all-around transportation. It had 121,000 miles when I purchased it and the motor continues to run strong like new. It gets excellent gas mileage. All around, it has been a great car to own. The only things I have had to replace was a thermostat and a new battery. Other than that, it just keeps running and running.

"98 Ford Escort Wagon
By Shey on 02/20/06 18:17 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

A/C not working but has been a very reliable car.

Basic Transportation, Noisy on the Road
By Ken H on 01/11/06 19:25 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

We bought this car for our daughter's use while at school on the east coast. It spent three years in Philadelphia, crossed the country three times ending up on the west coast. The car has 101K miles on it currently. We've had two major engine repairs. One involving an internal governing device in the engine and the other was a head gasket that had to be replaced at 80K miles. One thing that does stand out with this car is the high road noise especially at freeway speeds. Only other item that is an irritant is the seat belts are attached well behind the front seats and are very difficult to reach with the doors closed.

She's good
By Lovemycar on 11/05/05 09:59 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My first car, has held up very well. Bought her with 39,000 on it, so far am at 52,000 in a little over a year. Very few maintenance problems, and any problems were minor, like windshield wipers. Excellent for all of the driving that I do between school, work and home (over 60 miles daily M-F) and I only fill up about once a week. She's always been there for me.

Phenomenal
By Rick on 09/06/05 22:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my pre-owned Escort coupe as a temporary replacement for my older car, until I could decide what I wanted. Well, I fell in love with the car right away and I've had it for five years. It has a great ride for a small car. I was especially pleased with how it runs with ease on the highway. Now, after five years, it has 90K miles and I cannot recall a single repair. I've only changed the oil on schedule, kept up with the rest of the maintenance schedule and replaced the tires. I've been very pleasantly surprised with this car. Now, with the price of gas, I really am glad that I have it. It is still one of the most efficient cars out there.

Serious problems ZX2
By caden on 08/11/05 08:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have had my 98 ZX2 near 3 years now. Since buying it with 70k on it, after 100,000 seems it started having problems, waterpump, tension pulley has broken off twice, thermostat. Other routine maintence. Pretty expensive to have the timing belt replaced. But the biggest problem is the auto transmission. Have to have it rebuilt and still doesn't shift correctly. Some unknown problem has drained all of my power, i have to have it too the floor to barely get going most of the time. Great sound system though, small and compact, keyless entry only on the driver door is weird though.

Great commuter
By Lily on 07/12/05 21:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since it came out 7 years ago and it's a fantastic car. Other than routine maintenance, I've never had a problem and it has been the most reliable car in my driveway. Its compact size but interior comfort make it a great commuter car, which is fantastic in an area with some of the worst traffic in the nation. Overall, great car and I plan to keep driving it for years to come!

I'm hard on vehicles, but...
By andreaguinn on 04/26/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I adore my Ford Escort! I drive constantly because of school, work, and club outings. Not once has it died or not started up on the first try, and I got it at 110,031 miles. I would highly recommend this car to anyone at all. It's wonderful. Perfect for a busy teen like me.

Good looking,reliable, gets the job done
By Drive it to the bone on 03/23/05 19:12 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I got this car after high school graduation and had it throughout college. My dad used it to drive pretty far to work everyday while I was away, and this whole time nothing bad has gone wrong. Besides the usual wear and tear, the worst thing that happened was the horror that was installing my CD deck over the old trim. I would change some small things, but overall, its a fun, reliable and good looking vehicle considering some factors.

Not a fan of the look, LOVE the rest
By MikeMG on 03/09/05 11:38 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last September. I was originally looking for a ZX3 but this one was CHEAP. I test drove it and bought it the same day. The performance is unbelievable for a stock car, if only the aesthetics could be comparable. If you're young and want a tough, quick car, then this is it. I can't seem to break it, which is hard to believe. Parts are cheap too ($25 Cdn for a wheel bearing). Service it regularly and this car will last forever.. And if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads, undercoat it every year.