Used 1998 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

10 years and still going strong!
By lori & kenzie

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We have owned this car for 10 years and we can't complain. We've never had to replace anything except for a brake, the alternator, and some tires. This car has been on 3 long road trips (about 650 miles each way with a dog) and we had no major breakdowns. The car is still running (even with over 200,000 miles on it) but we're finally going to purchase a new 2007 Elantra so we will donate it to charity. BTW: We have the bare bones model-5 speed manual, cassete player (no cd), power nothing, no spoiler, basically just a shell with an engine and some tires.

Favorite Features

Durability- it's like the little engine that could! Outside styling- I always thought the front looked like bugs bunny.

Suggested Improvements

Standard CD player and get rid of that ugly mocha frost color. Air vents in the back and more than 1 cupholder.

Useful & reliable
By Boston driver

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 98. It's been very reliable and a great city car for maneuvering and parking and mileage. Decent pickup with the five-speed manual. Wet-road handling got better with new tires at 50k. The trunk opening is very small, but with the back seats down you can stuff a lot in. E- brake is starting to fail at 73k.

Favorite Features

Pickup and gas mileage. A/C works great.

Suggested Improvements

You can only open the trunk with the key or the keyring clicker (no in-car lever), and the clicker won't work with the engine running, so you have to shut the engine off to open the trunk, which is annoying.

Unexpectedly decent car
By Escort driver

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We bought a used 98 model in late 2002. Since then we made a round trip to Canada (about 1500 miles) made a trip to Virginia twice and so far has put on mileage of 60k. The car runs great. No mechanical problems so far. Hope it would keep running, since I am a JDM fan, so astonished by its performance.

Favorite Features

Nice exterior and interior for a small car. Comfy.

Suggested Improvements

The handling is really questionable. Have strong doubts about its handling in rain and snow as it skids a lot.

great little car that keeps on running!
By markiejohng

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Ford Escort LX back in Sept. of 2005 and this car has been nothing but a great little ride. It is very reliable, has peppy performance with the 5-speed, drives very well, the interior is very functional, and the body is in excellent shape. It provides me with great all-around transportation. It had 121,000 miles when I purchased it and the motor continues to run strong like new. It gets excellent gas mileage. All around, it has been a great car to own. The only things I have had to replace was a thermostat and a new battery. Other than that, it just keeps running and running.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, interior layout, roomy trunk, easy accessibility, fun 5-speed manual transmission, and cute look.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension feels "loose" and not solid like some imports with similar mileage, brakes squeak too much, and back seat is a little cramped for passengers.

She's good
By Lovemycar

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My first car, has held up very well. Bought her with 39,000 on it, so far am at 52,000 in a little over a year. Very few maintenance problems, and any problems were minor, like windshield wipers. Excellent for all of the driving that I do between school, work and home (over 60 miles daily M-F) and I only fill up about once a week. She's always been there for me.

Favorite Features

Miles per gallon - while the tank is small, the car goes over 300 miles before the light comes on. Trunk space very good. I love my clicker - door lock/unlock, alarm, trunk pop.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank is small - Quikfill won't stamp my card because I can rarely put in 10 gal. Doesn't handle well in rain, or snow (without studded tires). Accelerates rather slowly, which also makes it sometimes difficult to pass a slower moving vehicle ahead of me.