1998 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Good for a Student
By BDbuddy23 on 06/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Escort for about 2 years now and I have to say it has been a solid experience. The escort gets excellent gas mileage, and has a reasonable ride for a 'no frills' type of car. I've only had one problem and that was a radiator hose break.

My Green Escort
By Julieturtle on 06/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My hubby & I bought our '98 light green Escort LX in 2000 and we've put a lot of miles on it. In 3 years alone, we've doubled the miles. It has been a great, reliable car for us and our growing family. I tend to have a lead foot, so I wish it had more balls, but it's probably better that it didn't. It's a great car, anyway, and we're very sure it'll be our family vehicle for a long time.

One of the better Fords
By Bob315 on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Very fuel efficient and reliable - almost 5 years old and no mechancial problems - far superior to its replacement the Ford Focus

Best car ever owned
By Horst Odparlik on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This has been a tremendously reliable vehicle. I would have bought 10 of them if I had known what little this car would have cost me over the course of these 4+ years.

Not a fun to drive, but it never dies
By likesoccer on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort because it is what I could afford at that time. It had only 20K and looks almost new. I have been driving this car on daily basis for 2 years and put 30k on it. Escort is a plain, compact, low-priced seden. There is really not much fun to drive it. The engine, transmission and brake system works fine for commuting daily, but performance is mediocre. Overall it is a reliabe car and gives me great gas mileage (~28 city and ~36 highway). I have never had any problem with its mechanical quality, even after one collision and one weather disaster. I changes the oil regularly at local Ford dealership. A great car for daily life!

Watch out Ferrari!
By Jeffro on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Overall, the car has been great since day one. Put more than 35k in one year and it just won't die!

Been good to me so far..
By 2 Ford Owner. on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Escort in Nov 1997 when the new models came out. I paid about 13K. This car has been very good to me, I have never been stranded, the car runs great, of course I did not put alot of miles on it and I do get the maintenance done as instructed by Ford. I have since bought a 2002 Taurus SEL premium (and kept my Escort too) which blows my 98 escort away in comfort and power. However, when filling up at the pump, the Escort wins hands down.

Sweetness!
By K on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Its Cool. I turbo'd it so it runs like 267 Horsepower now. I put racing parts on it. It runs like a 12-13 second 1/4. Probably Closer to 12

Wagon's Ho !
By Phranq on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought a used '98 SE Wagon with ~25K miles. Overall I am very satisfied with the performance and reliability of the wagon so far. The extra cargo area and roof rack have come in handy when hauling stuff and taking a short trip. Great Gas mileage (35+ on freeway with automatic trans.) and the controls are logically placed. Great Used car for the $ and features.

Great basic transportation!
By JPH on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We have really enjoyed this car. We have 75,000 miles on it and have no problems. It is great basic transportation. Excellent gas mileage 34 city, 39 highway