Used 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort Coupe

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Best first car ever...
By Jldude

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 6 months ago, and have put on 10000 miles since. Have never had to replace anything yet. I use synthetic racing oil and the engine is just as good as any import. My biggest praise of the car is its mpg. I get a hair over 40 on the highway. I've never gotten below 35 mpg. Also the engine is very fun at higher speed with the 5 speed. The biggest complaint that I have with the car is the noise. The tire noise is actually much louder than the engine noise on the highway. It is a very rough engine when it's idling at a drive through. If Ford still built these with a higher overdrive and a better interior, it would dominate.

Favorite Features

Engine power, fuel economy, light weight.

Suggested Improvements

Standard keyless entry, power everything, much higher overdrive, better engine mounts, awesome factory sound system, and of course, I wish Ford still made them.

Phenomenal
By Rick

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my pre-owned Escort coupe as a temporary replacement for my older car, until I could decide what I wanted. Well, I fell in love with the car right away and I've had it for five years. It has a great ride for a small car. I was especially pleased with how it runs with ease on the highway. Now, after five years, it has 90K miles and I cannot recall a single repair. I've only changed the oil on schedule, kept up with the rest of the maintenance schedule and replaced the tires. I've been very pleasantly surprised with this car. Now, with the price of gas, I really am glad that I have it. It is still one of the most efficient cars out there.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and reliability.

Serious problems ZX2
By caden

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have had my 98 ZX2 near 3 years now. Since buying it with 70k on it, after 100,000 seems it started having problems, waterpump, tension pulley has broken off twice, thermostat. Other routine maintence. Pretty expensive to have the timing belt replaced. But the biggest problem is the auto transmission. Have to have it rebuilt and still doesn't shift correctly. Some unknown problem has drained all of my power, i have to have it too the floor to barely get going most of the time. Great sound system though, small and compact, keyless entry only on the driver door is weird though.

Favorite Features

sound system, used to be power but not anymore, GOOD gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I have heard of too many transmission complaints.

Not a fan of the look, LOVE the rest
By MikeMG

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last September. I was originally looking for a ZX3 but this one was CHEAP. I test drove it and bought it the same day. The performance is unbelievable for a stock car, if only the aesthetics could be comparable. If you're young and want a tough, quick car, then this is it. I can't seem to break it, which is hard to believe. Parts are cheap too ($25 Cdn for a wheel bearing). Service it regularly and this car will last forever.. And if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads, undercoat it every year.

Favorite Features

Performance. Amazingly comfortable for long drives. Pretty quiet at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

No power passenger's door lock is ridiculous. Dash is very plain, but oh well. When windy out, wind noise around windows is very annoying.

Fixed Or Repaired Daily
By Steffidips

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car was great for the first four years of existence, but soon began developing small problems here and there. Those small problems have now developed into large problems with the transmission, the flex plate in the shifter and the fact that I get a back massage each time it is at idle because the idle is so rough. Despite these problems, the car can still handle well through corners and can keep up with some of the most moderately priced vehicles. Great car for a new driver.

Favorite Features

Dashboard and controls are easy to locate and use. Handles great. Comfortable car for short road trips (200 miles and under) with amazing gas mileage (approximately 25 city/30 highway). Was the perfect first car for a female driver!

Suggested Improvements

Headlights could be improved with the addition of fog lights (some models do have these, but not mine) as well as higher wattage in the high beams.