1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
1998 ZX2 Escort
By 87irocZ28camaro on 09/13/08 22:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The Escort isn't the best car but for the price come on. It never had trouble only needed a new pair of cheap tires and some cheap brakes and that was right before I sold it. It's a great car. Family look but great performance. Get one if you want a reliable cheap sport car.

My First Car
By Dre on 09/07/08 15:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I just resently got a 98 Ford Escort LX as my first car. When I first saw it I wasn't very happy with it. It just didn't look quite right. Now that I have it I really like it. My Escort only has 74,950 miles on it! Not bad for a 98.

It Could Be Worse (but not much)
By Justin on 08/07/08 02:25 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Do not get this car if you enjoy driving or like cars even a little bit. You'll be dissapointed with the performance, handling and just about everything. Fuel economy is great as long as you don't touch the gas and don't look at the A/C. I don't think the designers even knew what fun-to-drive meant. Interior is basic. Not even a tach or cd player. If you stare at the exterior long enough it starts to look alright. It's only broken down on me once because of a bad alternator but there are a few parts that have needed replacing in the two years I've had it. (Motor mounts twice and A/C.) The trunk leaks on the right too. Summary: If you're old or don't like cars, the Escort is for you.

Very trusty, reliable car
By artbkward on 04/11/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven my 98 Escort since I turned 16 (8 years ago), it has never required any more than routine repair. It's got 147,000 miles on it now and still has alot of life left in it. Gets good fuel mileage although does have small spot of rust on the door. I added a CD player since it came with AM/FM radio only. It's been a great little car for me, I would highly recommend.

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great
By Andrew on 03/27/08 19:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!

Reliable!
By Diane on 03/18/08 19:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have 190K miles on this car and it is still going strong! It serves its purpose, but now I am feeling that it may be on its last leg (the gas mileage is lowering and it struggles a little to get up certain hills), but I haven't had any major breakdowns or work done to it - just a timing belt and the e-brake chain. Brakes are worn easily, but I stop and go a lot. A fine little car that does a decent job.

Great Car
By claus on 03/18/08 08:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in '02 with 29000 miles on it. It now has 106000 and I have had to replace the water pump, timing belt, tie rods 3x, serpentine belt a few times and the ac is out on it right now, but other than that it has been a reliable car to get me through college. Excellent gas mileage and sound system.

No more Fords!
By Frank on 03/07/08 22:31 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Had an 87 Escort wagon made in New Jersey, got good basic A-to-B transportation & made it to 250,000 mi. So I got this newer 1998 replacement but only made it to 150,000 & had to junk it. Was made in Mexico & had many poor quality problems (rust, bad dash & dome lights, replaced P/S, etc & finally internal engine damage). Have had other Fords before & know they're generally lesser quality than other brands, but this was worst experience. Now I'm an angry ex-Ford customer.

1998 Escort SE - A great, reliable car!
By Scooter on 07/24/07 10:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in '98 for my wife to drive around town, an SE Sport model that's still fun to drive. After 9 years and only 31,000 miles, the engine still has a lot of pep and gets GREAT gas mileage. No major repairs other than a serpentine belt and A/C work (common to Escorts). Most problems due to age rather that normal wear and tear. Routine maintenance was as expected. Will be a great car to pass on down to the kids!

A great small car value
By Satisfied owner on 07/11/07 11:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We bought our Escort SE new in January 1998. This car was going to be a commuter car for my wife. Well, nine and a half years and 100,000 miles later it is still commuting! It has been a very reliable car. The only thing we have done is change the oil and replace items as they wore out. We replaced the struts/springs in 2005 and the clutch in Sept of 2006. Overall cost of ownership has been low and the gas mileage is still good (30mpg+). Other than a dent on the left rear quarter panel from a parking lot fender bender the body is still in good shape.