Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

This car won't die
By kennedys

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I put about 500 miles a week on this car on my daily commute to work. I have been waiting for it to die since I graduated college and got my long distance job. I have never broken down in it yet. So far since I took it over I have only had to replace tires and the tape deck/Radio which I was going to do anyway. One year I didn't even change the oil from inspection to inspection and it still ran like a champ. I wish I had a reason to get a new car but it is so reliable even at 130K. Who ever said foreign cars are more reliable than domestic really needs to check the date it isn't the 80's anymore.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, acceleration, easy to maintain engine and cheap replacement parts.

Suggested Improvements

Resale value but honestly anyone buying an escort and expecting a resale value is kidding themselves. Better seats and better wiper fluid system. Word of advice don't blast the wiper fluid with the windows down or you will get covered in wiper fluid.

realibility plus
By monty

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

i purchased this auto from my employer 6 years ago with 74k on it. i now have 140k. i get 25mpg around town and 35mpg highway.the timing belt broke at 110k. did not cause any engine damage as with many autos. purchasd new belt for $20 at auto parts store.alternator went this year,very easy to replace. ($45used with 1 year warrenty)as with most drivers i would like a newer auto but the escorts reliability and very reasionable replacement parts cost will have me driving it for a few more years.

Favorite Features

realibility and gas mileage and low cost maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

maybe a little more horesepower but not at the sacrifice of gas mileage

cabin car
By Jerry

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Purchased 5 years ago at 29000 miles. It had been dealer maintained, driven as second car, never in salt, paid $3600. I have alloy wheels (I had on a Mazda)and hi performance tires. We drive summers only as our (2 people) only car during that time. Now with 86000 miles replacement tires and front brake pad only. Nothing has failed. It is a great car for local use. Mileage with automatic, driven in a spirited manner is 30mpg locally, 33-4 at 73mph using cruise. On extended interstate trips it is acceptably comfortable, shifts out of lockup on hills when using cruise. Very reliable, economical utilitarian vehicle. Nowhere as comfortable, peppy, sporty handling as our 2004 Mazda 3.

Favorite Features

Reliability, utility, excellent mileage

Suggested Improvements

More power (or better gear ratio?) at highway speeds, better front seats

Can't be killed
By jaxson

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is ridiculous. Got this in 11/01 used from some dude who wanted a car with cruise control. Had 56K miles on it, almost 8 years later I have 143K on it. No problems at all with this thing. Runs as smooth as it did the day i took it over. Oil is always clean, probably dont even have to get an oil change every 5k miles. I still have to replace the timing belt. The tie rods had to be occasionally replaced every now and then. But thats it. I wish this thing would die already so I can feel justifed to get a new car already!

Favorite Features

Peppyness, quick off the draw.

Good for 6 years only
By DarthSodomus

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased this as my first car way back on Halloween 1998. This car was very good to me for the first 6.5 years. I did all the required maintainance. Then the transmission went after 110K miles - expensive repair. After repairing that, the engine went 2 years later - expensive repair. I have had to replace the alternator twice as well replace the water pump and some drive pulleys all expensive repairs. Finally, just now, the AC compressor went and had to install an aftermarket AC delete pulley. I've gotten 11 years so far out of it but the repairs have been expensive over the last 4 years ~$8000. But (unfortunately) still cheaper than new car payments so I could not justify a new car

Favorite Features

Nice acceleration. Good handling. Lots of features for price. As for reliability go buy a Honda civic instead. A CON is no resalve value. The car is now worthless.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the reliability. Now I'm waiting for a cash for clunkers bill in canada to replace it with a civic. If the Canadian government gives me $3500 for a $500 car I'm gonna laugh all the way to the Honda dealership to get a civic. Buy honda for resale value.