Used 1998 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

What a good little car
By redgirl

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought car 11 months ago it now has 134,000 miles and I think with a new clutch. It will make it to 150,000. Only thing is it is beat up looking. The person who owned it last scratched it all up. So I am selling her. It took me to Gainseville, and Orlando. I live in Stuart and that's a hike. Again great little car

Stick shift

Leg room for driver

I love this car
By chris

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 165k on it in jan of 08. It now has 200k on it. I have replaced the wheel bearings, the serpentine belt, and tires. It is by far the cheapest and most reliable car I have ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone. I'm kinda upset they stopped making them. When or if this one dies I will be buying another one.

I own the 5 speed. I love the performance. i Put a lot of bolt on parts and for what it is it's pretty fast. And I love the gas mileage. I consistantly get low 40's. Easily keeps up with a stock Honda v-tech.

Larger interior. Maybe make it a 6 speed transmission. It runs at a kinda high rpm at 60 mph.

1998 ZX2 Escort
By 87irocZ28camaro

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The Escort isn't the best car but for the price come on. It never had trouble only needed a new pair of cheap tires and some cheap brakes and that was right before I sold it. It's a great car. Family look but great performance. Get one if you want a reliable cheap sport car.

Performance, spoiler, traction, miles, and mpg.

Interior, rims, cargo area

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great
By Andrew

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!

Drivability, 35 MPG at 75 mph highway speeds, sound system, reliability, sporty looks, the whole packet. Job well done, you could still make this model.

Internal trunk release! Everything else is as should be for a car this size!

Great Car
By claus

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in '02 with 29000 miles on it. It now has 106000 and I have had to replace the water pump, timing belt, tie rods 3x, serpentine belt a few times and the ac is out on it right now, but other than that it has been a reliable car to get me through college. Excellent gas mileage and sound system.

The zippiness of it, sporty look, and gas mileage.

Inside trunk release, passenger keyless entry, more horsepower.