1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Excellent economical car!
By carbunny on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This is an excellent car if you want an inexpensive car and don't car much about extras. This was my first car. I have had it for 6 years, have 50,000 miles on it and nothing on it has EVER broken. It is a "bare minimum" car...no casette player, no cd player, no power windows, etc. But...if what you are looking for is low price and good performance this is the car.

Zippy
By cb on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car, fun to drive and great on gas. There is a small rattle in the engine that is from a cap that cannot be removed so it hits the hood of the car causing the rattle.I also had to change the front left tie rod on only 33000 miles. Those were the only problems that have arised; Otherwise I have had no other problems with it.

Good car
By Sis on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car for the most part. Handled well, good in snow, easy to drive, spunky. Repairs over 4 years included new fuel pump, new tie rods three times, one brake job. The last two break downs were almost the end. The CV joint broke, literally, in the middle of the road. No warning that is was bad. That was relatively cheap to repair. But the same week, we had to deal with the engine light on constantly. The code told us something was wrong with the cam shaft. Apparently, this model has the V-tech engine. Cam shaft repairs would be around $800-1000. What to do with trade-in value of $1800 at best? We traded it in and will probably never buy another.

Good Car
By SSOASS on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Note: My reliability rating are based on my past 99 escort. Good littel car, fun to drive. Interior recalls all the American sports coups of the 1980's, this car doesnt look at all foreign, unlike some newer Fords. Nice pickup, great handling.

Definitely a Great Car
By ZX24ME on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have 90000 miles and no major repairs or maintenance issues (5speed Manual). Sporty and stylish with a modest price tag. I bought it at a time when I never imagined I would own an American manufactured vehicle, and voila, I have been duly converted. Cheers to the designers and engineers. Great Car!

Peppy
By focusser on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I was most impressed with the car's solid feel and responsiveness. The car is 5 years old yet responds with real vigor. Had to replace the front left cable and align the wheels.. otherwise its been trouble free.

1998 Ford Escort ZX2
By RodDogKen on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Features: Automatic and A/C. Front-wheel drive. Only 23,500 miles in 5 1/2 years. Everything still works well! Right front wheel-bearing was replaced/was making a noticable noise.

Best car i ever owned
By froman on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

it is a great car for the price i paid for it. i bought it used a few months ago and havent had any problems.

Been Great for the Long Haul
By JennyFL on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've had my ZX2 since buying it new in 98--its been great! I've put over 100000 miles on it with few problems-- had to replace the alternator. The 5spd is zippy and tight. Nothing better than knowing its gonna start up every time I need it to. I'm sooo pleased to have gotten so much out of this little car and hope I'm driving it for a few more years b/c I'll hate to give it up!

GREAT CAR
By fromthetown on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

My experience has been great with my ZX2. It is fun car to drive and gets great mileage. I have put very little money into the car except for regular oil changes and a K&N Air Filter. My only complaint is the spongy feeling brake pedal. Besides this the car is awesome. I would recomend this car to anyone, but especially to any college student who needs reliable transportation like me.