1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
1998 ZX 2 cool coupe
By Mike on 06/10/09 05:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 91K it now has 170K just replaced timming belt, water pump, regular belts and pulleys, still has original clutch (5 speed) and some of the vacume lines are starting to crack but it is a very reliable car . Parts are cheap and avalible. down fall is it is a very hard car to work on as it is very tight in the engine compartment. All above work was done as preventive maintenace not corrective. This car also wears tires a little funny and somtimes you will get a woomp woomp woomp from the under carrage as the tires wear though that phase of wear I guess. Anyway I wish more companies made cars like this they would be in less trouble now.

167,000 miles and still going strong!
By EHWRYN on 06/08/09 00:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with around 70k miles on it and so far in the past 5 years only have had 1 major break-down ( pullies for the serpentine belt broke)since this is a non-interference engine - no engine damage. Other than that I have had very little trouble (alternator went out and a PC valve - around 120k miles). It is very reliable and starts every time! For a 11 yr old car, it still has power and is fun to drive. The engine has never overheated, even when charging up a hill with the A/C on full blast while it is over 100 degrees outside. I never worry when I have to drive long distances - And a mechanic told me it was a "throw-away car not built to last".

This pony won't quit
By Dennis on 05/26/09 19:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have put on 40,000 miles after the first owner's 206,000 miles. The engine still runs perfectly with surprising mileage --30-32 mpg in my daily 45 mile commute through and around Detroit and up to 40 mpg in slower highway driving. The body has not a squeak or rattle. Snow traction is great. I've driven through a foot of snow without any problem other than ice getting jammed in the suspension. The AC failed last year; estimates were for more than I paid for the car so I am living with that. I replaced rear struts at about 230,000 miles. Looking ahead, I see only months left on the clutch and 3rd gear is down to a nub so I have to decide soon whether to see if I can get another 200k.

1998 Ford Escort
By 1998 Ford Escort on 03/28/09 01:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Very Reliable vehicle. Great gas mileage 40 HWY miles. This vehicle was subjected to a MN winter- 30 days in a row of zero degrees. The car started EVERY morning without a problem. Vehicle is just now starting to show a little rust. Dependable, great gas mileage. feels solid when driving during a MN winter...

GREAT
By tink on 03/07/09 18:58 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used 3 years ago i had to do very little mechanical work the major thing that went wrong was the timing jumped i am getting ready to buy a 2nd ford escort if that tells ya how much i loved this car my son(teenager) drives the one i bought 3 years ago and loves it i would reccommend this car it very realiable and trustworthy

Excellent Small Wagon
By senior citizen on 02/09/09 20:03 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new for my late wife. I've used it as an around-town car since she died. It's been a great small wagon for that purpose. Very dependable, good quality, minimal repairs, great gas mileage, still looks good and drives well. (I keep it garaged and regularly serviced at the Ford dealer.) I expect to keep it until I die or wreck it.

Cheap, affordable, and great
By Nambow on 12/31/08 20:03 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car after it had been sitting for 1-2 yrs. I had to replace the tires and tie rods. It drives good, and is a manual. I average anywhere from 31-35mpg. My car has 119k and shows no sign of giving up.

What a good little car
By redgirl on 12/30/08 17:16 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought car 11 months ago it now has 134,000 miles and I think with a new clutch. It will make it to 150,000. Only thing is it is beat up looking. The person who owned it last scratched it all up. So I am selling her. It took me to Gainseville, and Orlando. I live in Stuart and that's a hike. Again great little car

Original satisfied owner.
By Joe on 12/04/08 12:26 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

98 SE Wagon. This has been a good economical vehicle. Simple interior design. 24 to 34 mpg. Scheduled maintenance routines were followed for normal usage. Fair to good handling in moderate snow conditions. Final assembly, U.S.A. (I purposely avoided the non-U.S.A. assemblies). Original tires, Uniroyal Tiger Paw, lasted 70K. OEM battery, 8 yrs. Uncomfortable seating on long drives.

I love this car
By chris on 11/06/08 14:49 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 165k on it in jan of 08. It now has 200k on it. I have replaced the wheel bearings, the serpentine belt, and tires. It is by far the cheapest and most reliable car I have ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone. I'm kinda upset they stopped making them. When or if this one dies I will be buying another one.