Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great Car
By claus

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in '02 with 29000 miles on it. It now has 106000 and I have had to replace the water pump, timing belt, tie rods 3x, serpentine belt a few times and the ac is out on it right now, but other than that it has been a reliable car to get me through college. Excellent gas mileage and sound system.

Favorite Features

The zippiness of it, sporty look, and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Inside trunk release, passenger keyless entry, more horsepower.

zx2
By mike

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned this little car since I purchased it new in 1998. It has been a fun and economical. I have never had issues until the car reached over 200k. Then things started to break, typical stuff alternator, rear wheel cylinders, struts, just recently the fuel pump. The a/c works some times. Heck what do expect from a car with nearly 300k

Favorite Features

fuel economy my average has been 32-33 mpg

Suggested Improvements

none they quite making this vehicle

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great
By Andrew

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!

Favorite Features

Drivability, 35 MPG at 75 mph highway speeds, sound system, reliability, sporty looks, the whole packet. Job well done, you could still make this model.

Suggested Improvements

Internal trunk release! Everything else is as should be for a car this size!

Good for 6 years only
By DarthSodomus

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased this as my first car way back on Halloween 1998. This car was very good to me for the first 6.5 years. I did all the required maintainance. Then the transmission went after 110K miles - expensive repair. After repairing that, the engine went 2 years later - expensive repair. I have had to replace the alternator twice as well replace the water pump and some drive pulleys all expensive repairs. Finally, just now, the AC compressor went and had to install an aftermarket AC delete pulley. I've gotten 11 years so far out of it but the repairs have been expensive over the last 4 years ~$8000. But (unfortunately) still cheaper than new car payments so I could not justify a new car

Favorite Features

Nice acceleration. Good handling. Lots of features for price. As for reliability go buy a Honda civic instead. A CON is no resalve value. The car is now worthless.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the reliability. Now I'm waiting for a cash for clunkers bill in canada to replace it with a civic. If the Canadian government gives me $3500 for a $500 car I'm gonna laugh all the way to the Honda dealership to get a civic. Buy honda for resale value.

Fantastic City Car
By jhs7

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for the past 11 years and have had very few problems with it. It has enough power to be fun to drive, and to get you around slow trucks when you need to, while still getting good gas mileage. The best thing about it, though, is the amazing amount of cargo space for an economy coupe. Between the surprisingly roomy trunk, and the fold-down seats, you can actually haul quite a lot of stuff. I am regularly surprised at how much I can stuff into such a small car. On top of that, it's one of the best-looking cars in its class, (IMHO), it turns on a dime, and it fits in almost any parking space. The only thing it doesn't do well is snow. But then, what little car does?

Favorite Features

Big trunk and large opening to the trunk (for its class). Tight turning radius. Cool-looking headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift can be a bit persnickety. Also, the electrical outlet shuts off when you turn off the car, which can be annoying at times.