1998 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
What a good little car
By redgirl on 12/30/08 17:16 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought car 11 months ago it now has 134,000 miles and I think with a new clutch. It will make it to 150,000. Only thing is it is beat up looking. The person who owned it last scratched it all up. So I am selling her. It took me to Gainseville, and Orlando. I live in Stuart and that's a hike. Again great little car

I love this car
By chris on 11/06/08 14:49 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 165k on it in jan of 08. It now has 200k on it. I have replaced the wheel bearings, the serpentine belt, and tires. It is by far the cheapest and most reliable car I have ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone. I'm kinda upset they stopped making them. When or if this one dies I will be buying another one.

1998 ZX2 Escort
By 87irocZ28camaro on 09/13/08 22:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The Escort isn't the best car but for the price come on. It never had trouble only needed a new pair of cheap tires and some cheap brakes and that was right before I sold it. It's a great car. Family look but great performance. Get one if you want a reliable cheap sport car.

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great
By Andrew on 03/27/08 19:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!

Great Car
By claus on 03/18/08 08:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in '02 with 29000 miles on it. It now has 106000 and I have had to replace the water pump, timing belt, tie rods 3x, serpentine belt a few times and the ac is out on it right now, but other than that it has been a reliable car to get me through college. Excellent gas mileage and sound system.

158,000 miles so far
By 158,000miles so far on 02/18/07 14:39 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car! My wife and I have been driving this one for a few years now. Bought it at 70,000 miles and have driven it nearly trouble free to 158,000 miles presently. I have no complaints about this car. Here are the few small repairs. Water pump replacement, some small A/C module to restore normal ac function, serpentine belt of course, radiator leaked a little when it was real cold outside, I finally replaced it after watching it drip during startup for two winters and a small water leak in the cab and trunk. Lastly, emergency brake cables are sticking some, the rubber is breaking on them and the weather has gotten to them. This is normal STUFF. THIS CAR IS GREAT! I used to be a mechanic.

Highly Recommended!
By Meg022 on 02/08/07 12:27 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I really love this car--it's the second one I have owned (totaled the first one). It has great pickup considering it's a 4-cyl. The exterior design is fabulous! (I have the 2-dr coupe with spoiler on the back). I love looking at it, even after all these years! Bought both of my ZX2s used, and had minimal repair...until I hit the 90K mark. Then, every inspection has been a $500+ ordeal, but had no emergency repairs. I had to replace the E-brake cable, the thermostat, needed to add freon for A/C, replaced the CAM shaft, and one of the control arms, etc. over a period of about two years. It does get a little uncomfortable for long trips--the interior is small, and the seats are FIRM.

Amazx2ing
By mike1975nj on 01/20/07 08:31 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used in 9/03 from a private party. I have all original receipts from this car since new including the window sticker. I lucked out big time. I have a 1998 5 speed and at the time I didn't want red nor did I want a Ford. After three years of owning this car I must say it is without a doubt mint. I love everything about this car except the fact that Ford canceled it and replaced it with junk. I must say that I am so happy that I got a stick rather than the automatic which is terrible and boring in this car. This is not a sport or racing car rather a sporty little economical car that if treated right with go head to head with any Toyota, Honda, or Madza (lol). Amazing!

Good car for young drivers
By cpa0217 on 09/25/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought for teenage driver. She has been driving it for 5 years. Other than some "wear & tear" items & maintenance, this has been a very trouble-free car.

awesome little car
By jldude on 08/31/06 13:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought this car 7 months ago, haven't had a problem since, never had to replace anything, sure there are worn out mounts and all, but it's typical. Does 0-60 in 7.8! Cannot say enough good things about the fuel economy. I get 42 mpg on flat highway at 65, and 36 aggressive city mpg. Biggest complaint, the vibration and noise. Tires and/or suspension seem to amplify road noise, engine runs at 2900 rpm at 65 which can get annoying. And wheel hop when accelerating at traction limits is ridiculous. But it has a large comfortable back seat and a very inexpensive car to own. Great little car, wish Ford still made it with a Mazda suspension, Zetec engine, 6 speed and standard power EVERYTHING! Oh and yellow!