Used 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Basic Transportation, Noisy on the Road
By Ken H

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

We bought this car for our daughter's use while at school on the east coast. It spent three years in Philadelphia, crossed the country three times ending up on the west coast. The car has 101K miles on it currently. We've had two major engine repairs. One involving an internal governing device in the engine and the other was a head gasket that had to be replaced at 80K miles. One thing that does stand out with this car is the high road noise especially at freeway speeds. Only other item that is an irritant is the seat belts are attached well behind the front seats and are very difficult to reach with the doors closed.

Gas mileage.

Not sure how you'd fix the engine problems. The front seat belts could maybe be placed on a track like some are so you don't have to reach way behind yourself to grab the belt. Heavy undercoating would hopefully help with the road noise problem.

Great commuter
By Lily

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since it came out 7 years ago and it's a fantastic car. Other than routine maintenance, I've never had a problem and it has been the most reliable car in my driveway. Its compact size but interior comfort make it a great commuter car, which is fantastic in an area with some of the worst traffic in the nation. Overall, great car and I plan to keep driving it for years to come!

Good looking,reliable, gets the job done
By Drive it to the bone

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I got this car after high school graduation and had it throughout college. My dad used it to drive pretty far to work everyday while I was away, and this whole time nothing bad has gone wrong. Besides the usual wear and tear, the worst thing that happened was the horror that was installing my CD deck over the old trim. I would change some small things, but overall, its a fun, reliable and good looking vehicle considering some factors.

Style, reliability, fog lights.

Trunk release from the inside, passenger side unlock from the remote, push seat release for the back passengers to get out (currently we have to get out, pull the seat forward, and pull up the release to let them out). My accelerator stuck once but it never happened again.

I love my ZX2
By BonBon

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My car is great. Good gas mileage,
reliable, small (but not too small!),
sporty....Ford did a great job.

I like the fog lamps, wheels, and it's a 5-speed manual transmission. It's hard for stick lovers to find good stick shift cars anymore!

I would have liked a trunk release on the inside of my car.

Fun to Drive Expensive to fix.
By Erinf

I bought this car back in 2000, off a
lease. Got the extended warranty. Until
60k the car was fine. I had one
transmission problem, which the
dealership fixed and gave me a rental
for a week. At around 60k things got
scarey. Repairs in the 2-3k range, all
over the place. It like the car had
been built to survive just past the
warranty then totally fall apart...
hondas and toyotas don't do this, why
do fords?

Fun to drive, was a dream until 60k miles.

Lets try to make a car last longer that 60k miles.