1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
good for the money
By triniman on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This is a fun little car that is good on gas and cheaper to maintain. problem free if you ask me

My ZX2 experience
By SarMK on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased my ZX2 used about a year and a half ago. With the exception of some trouble getting it started on some brutally cold winter days (which was remedied by a coolant flush which was probably due anyway) this car has been very reliable! I even drove it cross-country from NY to AZ and was pleased with the my car's performance. My only complaint- sometimes it gets a little shakey at the higher speeds, but much better than my last escort! Overall rating- an attractive, reliable car that was affordable for a college student even with lots of options.

ford zx2
By Dashbrdluvr on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I've had my car for a few months, and i really don't have anything bad to say about it. It has a lot more power than I thought it would have and its performance is exellent.

a good car
By rpm2424 on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

150000 and going strong it great!!!

Z-licious
By gucciboy75 on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Well, I just purchased a 1998 zx2 "hot" from a private party. The car had 62,500miles when i bought it. The car has every option available except abs because when the seller ordered the car abs wasn't an option then. I have all the service and maintanence records for the car since new. That in itself is amazing. Its a perfect car for me because the upgraded seats hug my back althought I don't recommend it to large frame people. All in all I am very satisfied with my car and never thought I would say that about a ford.

1998 Ford Escort Sedan
By Christina Williams on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Reliable. Good gas mileage. Dependable. Great trunk space.

After nearly 5 years, it's been great!!
By wje on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased my '98 ZX2 Sport brand new. After nearly 5 years, I've put 40K miles on it. I'm using Mobil1 sythetic oil in my car. It's never been in the shop for a repair. Sadly, my daughter is now 9-years-old and I need to spring for a 4-door car, so I've got to sell my ZX2 :( The car has been a fun car and my red paint shines as good as (or better) than the day I purchased it due to my extensive upkeep on the car. I'm not young - nearly 40, but this has been a fun car to drive.

good car
By probe user on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

this was my first car, it was a good car until i totaled it. oops. Never gave me any problems the 3 years i had it. good car

Good, but watch out
By wingchunner on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I didn't like the way the automatic transmission shifted. It handles and responds well, but because of the lightness of the car, it is affected by wind which at times makes it a little more difficult to control. Changing the serpantine belt is a little coslty .I thought there was a squeecking noise which I thought was the belt (not), then they thought something was rubbing against the transmission, so that was pulled (not that either), so the mechanic believes that the crankshaft is somehow getting out of kilter or the bearing might be worn wrong. It will cost over two grand to replace the engine or repair the crankshaft.

Buyer Beware
By Mrs. Den on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This cute, sporty car has been awesome...until now! Only four years old and both the transmission AND engine have gone belly up in less than 40,000 miles...NOT GOOD! More trouble and money than it's worth ~ gave up and traded it in for a Toyota!!!