Used 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort Coupe

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

1998 ZX 2 cool coupe
By Mike

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 91K it now has 170K just replaced timming belt, water pump, regular belts and pulleys, still has original clutch (5 speed) and some of the vacume lines are starting to crack but it is a very reliable car . Parts are cheap and avalible. down fall is it is a very hard car to work on as it is very tight in the engine compartment. All above work was done as preventive maintenace not corrective. This car also wears tires a little funny and somtimes you will get a woomp woomp woomp from the under carrage as the tires wear though that phase of wear I guess. Anyway I wish more companies made cars like this they would be in less trouble now.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive overhead cam engine has nice pickup and great ecomomy 36+ MPG

Suggested Improvements

Since its not in production this would be a mute point

167,000 miles and still going strong!
By EHWRYN

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with around 70k miles on it and so far in the past 5 years only have had 1 major break-down ( pullies for the serpentine belt broke)since this is a non-interference engine - no engine damage. Other than that I have had very little trouble (alternator went out and a PC valve - around 120k miles). It is very reliable and starts every time! For a 11 yr old car, it still has power and is fun to drive. The engine has never overheated, even when charging up a hill with the A/C on full blast while it is over 100 degrees outside. I never worry when I have to drive long distances - And a mechanic told me it was a "throw-away car not built to last".

Favorite Features

Reliable, well constructed, (no door handles breaking or knobs falling off) and AMAZING gas mileage. Back seat size is fine for me - never get chosen to be the driver on a long road trip with friends!

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to manufacture them again, with the added feature of an interior trunk release.

What a good little car
By redgirl

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought car 11 months ago it now has 134,000 miles and I think with a new clutch. It will make it to 150,000. Only thing is it is beat up looking. The person who owned it last scratched it all up. So I am selling her. It took me to Gainseville, and Orlando. I live in Stuart and that's a hike. Again great little car

Favorite Features

Stick shift

Suggested Improvements

Leg room for driver

I love this car
By chris

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 165k on it in jan of 08. It now has 200k on it. I have replaced the wheel bearings, the serpentine belt, and tires. It is by far the cheapest and most reliable car I have ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone. I'm kinda upset they stopped making them. When or if this one dies I will be buying another one.

Favorite Features

I own the 5 speed. I love the performance. i Put a lot of bolt on parts and for what it is it's pretty fast. And I love the gas mileage. I consistantly get low 40's. Easily keeps up with a stock Honda v-tech.

Suggested Improvements

Larger interior. Maybe make it a 6 speed transmission. It runs at a kinda high rpm at 60 mph.

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great
By Andrew

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!

Favorite Features

Drivability, 35 MPG at 75 mph highway speeds, sound system, reliability, sporty looks, the whole packet. Job well done, you could still make this model.

Suggested Improvements

Internal trunk release! Everything else is as should be for a car this size!