1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Great Car
By claus on 03/18/08 08:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in '02 with 29000 miles on it. It now has 106000 and I have had to replace the water pump, timing belt, tie rods 3x, serpentine belt a few times and the ac is out on it right now, but other than that it has been a reliable car to get me through college. Excellent gas mileage and sound system.

158,000 miles so far
By 158,000miles so far on 02/18/07 14:39 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car! My wife and I have been driving this one for a few years now. Bought it at 70,000 miles and have driven it nearly trouble free to 158,000 miles presently. I have no complaints about this car. Here are the few small repairs. Water pump replacement, some small A/C module to restore normal ac function, serpentine belt of course, radiator leaked a little when it was real cold outside, I finally replaced it after watching it drip during startup for two winters and a small water leak in the cab and trunk. Lastly, emergency brake cables are sticking some, the rubber is breaking on them and the weather has gotten to them. This is normal STUFF. THIS CAR IS GREAT! I used to be a mechanic.

Highly Recommended!
By Meg022 on 02/08/07 12:27 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I really love this car--it's the second one I have owned (totaled the first one). It has great pickup considering it's a 4-cyl. The exterior design is fabulous! (I have the 2-dr coupe with spoiler on the back). I love looking at it, even after all these years! Bought both of my ZX2s used, and had minimal repair...until I hit the 90K mark. Then, every inspection has been a $500+ ordeal, but had no emergency repairs. I had to replace the E-brake cable, the thermostat, needed to add freon for A/C, replaced the CAM shaft, and one of the control arms, etc. over a period of about two years. It does get a little uncomfortable for long trips--the interior is small, and the seats are FIRM.

Good car for young drivers
By cpa0217 on 09/25/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought for teenage driver. She has been driving it for 5 years. Other than some "wear & tear" items & maintenance, this has been a very trouble-free car.

awesome little car
By jldude on 08/31/06 13:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought this car 7 months ago, haven't had a problem since, never had to replace anything, sure there are worn out mounts and all, but it's typical. Does 0-60 in 7.8! Cannot say enough good things about the fuel economy. I get 42 mpg on flat highway at 65, and 36 aggressive city mpg. Biggest complaint, the vibration and noise. Tires and/or suspension seem to amplify road noise, engine runs at 2900 rpm at 65 which can get annoying. And wheel hop when accelerating at traction limits is ridiculous. But it has a large comfortable back seat and a very inexpensive car to own. Great little car, wish Ford still made it with a Mazda suspension, Zetec engine, 6 speed and standard power EVERYTHING! Oh and yellow!

Best first car ever...
By Jldude on 07/29/06 12:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 6 months ago, and have put on 10000 miles since. Have never had to replace anything yet. I use synthetic racing oil and the engine is just as good as any import. My biggest praise of the car is its mpg. I get a hair over 40 on the highway. I've never gotten below 35 mpg. Also the engine is very fun at higher speed with the 5 speed. The biggest complaint that I have with the car is the noise. The tire noise is actually much louder than the engine noise on the highway. It is a very rough engine when it's idling at a drive through. If Ford still built these with a higher overdrive and a better interior, it would dominate.

Phenomenal
By Rick on 09/06/05 22:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my pre-owned Escort coupe as a temporary replacement for my older car, until I could decide what I wanted. Well, I fell in love with the car right away and I've had it for five years. It has a great ride for a small car. I was especially pleased with how it runs with ease on the highway. Now, after five years, it has 90K miles and I cannot recall a single repair. I've only changed the oil on schedule, kept up with the rest of the maintenance schedule and replaced the tires. I've been very pleasantly surprised with this car. Now, with the price of gas, I really am glad that I have it. It is still one of the most efficient cars out there.

Serious problems ZX2
By caden on 08/11/05 08:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have had my 98 ZX2 near 3 years now. Since buying it with 70k on it, after 100,000 seems it started having problems, waterpump, tension pulley has broken off twice, thermostat. Other routine maintence. Pretty expensive to have the timing belt replaced. But the biggest problem is the auto transmission. Have to have it rebuilt and still doesn't shift correctly. Some unknown problem has drained all of my power, i have to have it too the floor to barely get going most of the time. Great sound system though, small and compact, keyless entry only on the driver door is weird though.

Not a fan of the look, LOVE the rest
By MikeMG on 03/09/05 11:38 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last September. I was originally looking for a ZX3 but this one was CHEAP. I test drove it and bought it the same day. The performance is unbelievable for a stock car, if only the aesthetics could be comparable. If you're young and want a tough, quick car, then this is it. I can't seem to break it, which is hard to believe. Parts are cheap too ($25 Cdn for a wheel bearing). Service it regularly and this car will last forever.. And if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads, undercoat it every year.

Fixed Or Repaired Daily
By Steffidips on 01/08/05 12:13 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car was great for the first four years of existence, but soon began developing small problems here and there. Those small problems have now developed into large problems with the transmission, the flex plate in the shifter and the fact that I get a back massage each time it is at idle because the idle is so rough. Despite these problems, the car can still handle well through corners and can keep up with some of the most moderately priced vehicles. Great car for a new driver.