1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
A great small car value
By Satisfied owner on 07/11/07 11:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We bought our Escort SE new in January 1998. This car was going to be a commuter car for my wife. Well, nine and a half years and 100,000 miles later it is still commuting! It has been a very reliable car. The only thing we have done is change the oil and replace items as they wore out. We replaced the struts/springs in 2005 and the clutch in Sept of 2006. Overall cost of ownership has been low and the gas mileage is still good (30mpg+). Other than a dent on the left rear quarter panel from a parking lot fender bender the body is still in good shape.

10 years and still going strong!
By lori & kenzie on 06/17/07 18:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We have owned this car for 10 years and we can't complain. We've never had to replace anything except for a brake, the alternator, and some tires. This car has been on 3 long road trips (about 650 miles each way with a dog) and we had no major breakdowns. The car is still running (even with over 200,000 miles on it) but we're finally going to purchase a new 2007 Elantra so we will donate it to charity. BTW: We have the bare bones model-5 speed manual, cassete player (no cd), power nothing, no spoiler, basically just a shell with an engine and some tires.

Useful & reliable
By Boston driver on 03/03/07 19:50 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 98. It's been very reliable and a great city car for maneuvering and parking and mileage. Decent pickup with the five-speed manual. Wet-road handling got better with new tires at 50k. The trunk opening is very small, but with the back seats down you can stuff a lot in. E- brake is starting to fail at 73k.

Unexpectedly decent car
By Escort driver on 11/21/06 18:18 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We bought a used 98 model in late 2002. Since then we made a round trip to Canada (about 1500 miles) made a trip to Virginia twice and so far has put on mileage of 60k. The car runs great. No mechanical problems so far. Hope it would keep running, since I am a JDM fan, so astonished by its performance.

She's good
By Lovemycar on 11/05/05 09:59 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My first car, has held up very well. Bought her with 39,000 on it, so far am at 52,000 in a little over a year. Very few maintenance problems, and any problems were minor, like windshield wipers. Excellent for all of the driving that I do between school, work and home (over 60 miles daily M-F) and I only fill up about once a week. She's always been there for me.

I'm hard on vehicles, but...
By andreaguinn on 04/26/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I adore my Ford Escort! I drive constantly because of school, work, and club outings. Not once has it died or not started up on the first try, and I got it at 110,031 miles. I would highly recommend this car to anyone at all. It's wonderful. Perfect for a busy teen like me.

Love our little Red Escort
By rail81 on 01/03/05 18:55 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used as a replacement for a Nissan Sentra. Other than being a little noisy, it's been a great car. It now has 110K on the odometer and still going strong. We've had to replace motor mounts and the drive axles in the past few months but at 100K those are wear items anyway. This car has been flawless otherwise. Car has never had to go in for service except for routine maintenance items. For those who are shopping, stay away from the dual cam engine unless you just gotta have the power. Routine maintenance for the twin cammer is far more expensive than the single cammer, or so I've read.

My Escort
By Sonia on 12/08/04 21:33 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've had my Escort for 6 and a half years. I bought it brand new and it is as reliable today as it was back in June 1998! It has almost 130,000 miles and going strong. It even survived about two years of being used by my wild teenage son. When this car finally retires, I will definately want to buy another Ford. Wish they still had Escorts.

best car i've ever owned
By mevix on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned my escort since brand new, it's only had 2 things ever go wrong, stereo when it was fairly new and the other the electronic sensor for the a/c. I was told by a Ford mechanic that it was a design flaw and in 1999 it was changed. This is the best car I've ever owned, 100% reliable, great gas mileage, roomy inside for a compact car. Sorry to say I was involved in an accident this week, got hit by an S10 truck directly in the left front, and I think held up well. Unfortunately it was totalled and I can honestly say I'm devastated as it was such a great car! Too bad Ford quit making them.

Sensible Car
By squad57 on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This is the first new car that I have ever bought and it was a great investment. I had it paid off in 4 years which was great. I have never had anything major go wrong with the Escort and it rides smoothly. I get great gas mileage down the highways.