Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Serious problems ZX2
By caden

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have had my 98 ZX2 near 3 years now. Since buying it with 70k on it, after 100,000 seems it started having problems, waterpump, tension pulley has broken off twice, thermostat. Other routine maintence. Pretty expensive to have the timing belt replaced. But the biggest problem is the auto transmission. Have to have it rebuilt and still doesn't shift correctly. Some unknown problem has drained all of my power, i have to have it too the floor to barely get going most of the time. Great sound system though, small and compact, keyless entry only on the driver door is weird though.

Favorite Features

sound system, used to be power but not anymore, GOOD gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

I have heard of too many transmission complaints.

Great commuter
By Lily

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since it came out 7 years ago and it's a fantastic car. Other than routine maintenance, I've never had a problem and it has been the most reliable car in my driveway. Its compact size but interior comfort make it a great commuter car, which is fantastic in an area with some of the worst traffic in the nation. Overall, great car and I plan to keep driving it for years to come!

I'm hard on vehicles, but...
By andreaguinn

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I adore my Ford Escort! I drive constantly because of school, work, and club outings. Not once has it died or not started up on the first try, and I got it at 110,031 miles. I would highly recommend this car to anyone at all. It's wonderful. Perfect for a busy teen like me.

Favorite Features

It handles well, and the roominess is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

When payment is even slightly damp, braking causes horrible sliding due to the light weight of the car.

Good looking,reliable, gets the job done
By Drive it to the bone

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I got this car after high school graduation and had it throughout college. My dad used it to drive pretty far to work everyday while I was away, and this whole time nothing bad has gone wrong. Besides the usual wear and tear, the worst thing that happened was the horror that was installing my CD deck over the old trim. I would change some small things, but overall, its a fun, reliable and good looking vehicle considering some factors.

Favorite Features

Style, reliability, fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk release from the inside, passenger side unlock from the remote, push seat release for the back passengers to get out (currently we have to get out, pull the seat forward, and pull up the release to let them out). My accelerator stuck once but it never happened again.

Not a fan of the look, LOVE the rest
By MikeMG

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last September. I was originally looking for a ZX3 but this one was CHEAP. I test drove it and bought it the same day. The performance is unbelievable for a stock car, if only the aesthetics could be comparable. If you're young and want a tough, quick car, then this is it. I can't seem to break it, which is hard to believe. Parts are cheap too ($25 Cdn for a wheel bearing). Service it regularly and this car will last forever.. And if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads, undercoat it every year.

Favorite Features

Performance. Amazingly comfortable for long drives. Pretty quiet at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

No power passenger's door lock is ridiculous. Dash is very plain, but oh well. When windy out, wind noise around windows is very annoying.