Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Crash Review
By KarenRottie on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I was involved in a 60 mph crash and the design of this vehicle saved my life! While the car was totalled in the accident, I walked away with only some serious bruises.

1998 Ford Escort Sedan
By Christina Williams on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Reliable. Good gas mileage. Dependable. Great trunk space.

GREAT CAR
By fromthetown on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

My experience has been great with my ZX2. It is fun car to drive and gets great mileage. I have put very little money into the car except for regular oil changes and a K&N Air Filter. My only complaint is the spongy feeling brake pedal. Besides this the car is awesome. I would recomend this car to anyone, but especially to any college student who needs reliable transportation like me.

the perfect first car...
By CodyB on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I love my car!!! I bought one as my first car last year, and it's great. It's great to find the S curves on back roads and fly by my friend with a civic. The only reason I only put a 9 for performance is because it doesnt really compare to my dad's nissan 300ZX, but it's still a peppy little sports car and I love it.

Best car ever owned
By Horst Odparlik on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This has been a tremendously reliable vehicle. I would have bought 10 of them if I had known what little this car would have cost me over the course of these 4+ years.

Not a fun to drive, but it never dies
By likesoccer on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort because it is what I could afford at that time. It had only 20K and looks almost new. I have been driving this car on daily basis for 2 years and put 30k on it. Escort is a plain, compact, low-priced seden. There is really not much fun to drive it. The engine, transmission and brake system works fine for commuting daily, but performance is mediocre. Overall it is a reliabe car and gives me great gas mileage (~28 city and ~36 highway). I have never had any problem with its mechanical quality, even after one collision and one weather disaster. I changes the oil regularly at local Ford dealership. A great car for daily life!

After nearly 5 years, it's been great!!
By wje on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased my '98 ZX2 Sport brand new. After nearly 5 years, I've put 40K miles on it. I'm using Mobil1 sythetic oil in my car. It's never been in the shop for a repair. Sadly, my daughter is now 9-years-old and I need to spring for a 4-door car, so I've got to sell my ZX2 :( The car has been a fun car and my red paint shines as good as (or better) than the day I purchased it due to my extensive upkeep on the car. I'm not young - nearly 40, but this has been a fun car to drive.

Watch out Ferrari!
By Jeffro on 12/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Overall, the car has been great since day one. Put more than 35k in one year and it just won't die!

Great Car for the money
By langevette on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for college transportation. and it is great! I now have over 72000 and still runs great. I bought it with trans. problems and fought the dealer till he rebuilt if for free. ($1500 worth) Gas milage in the mid 30s, but I drive hard.

good car
By probe user on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

this was my first car, it was a good car until i totaled it. oops. Never gave me any problems the 3 years i had it. good car