Used 1998 Ford Escort SE Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort Wagon - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (15 reviews )

escort 330 k miles
By dan299

1998 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

bought the car with 156000 miles about 6 years ago..im at 330;000 and still running good had to replace the clutch,,but u should expect that with that mileage...other than that just regular maintenance.......

Broke all the time
By rose313

1998 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this Escort, my first car, with 55k miles on it and drove it until the transmission went at 210k miles. Every month from the time I bought it, it was in the shop. I had to replace everything, some things twice, such as the muffler and exhaust. I replaced the e-brake, shocks, struts, fuel injection system, intake valve, just about everything in this car. I loved it because it was my first car and the fact that it was so roomy, I loved having so much space in the back. I used to see these on the road all the time, but now I hardly ever see one, I'm guessing it's because they all fell apart.

Exterior was fine, paint didn't peel even after very high mileage. The hatchback was easy to use and had plenty of space.

I wish it had been made with better quality parts, so I wouldn't have to have spent so much money fixing it.

Great little hauler!
By Byron

1998 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new in 1998; wish I had bought two of them! Only major work in 12 years was replacing timing belt and rear brake lines. I put snow tires on their own rims on for 6 months of the year to help save original rims and tires (replaced twice). Live in New Hampshire, so a little rust has shown up around wheel wells. For less than $500 in body work, I'll have a car that should last for several more years. Gets mid 30's mpg on highway with manual transmission. Wish that Ford hadn't discontinued the Escort line. Will consider the Fiesta down the road for my next car, but am in no particular hurry.

Comfort, solid ride quality, reliability, gas mileage, convenience of wagon for hauling light loads.

A little more pep, only because engine strains with air conditioning, but living in New Hampshire, it rarely gets turned on.

Great little wagon
By Rod

1998 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new in 1998. As of June 2011, it has 193,000 miles on it. Only failing were the rear springs at 150K in 2005. Regular maintenance and regular (3K interval) oil changes. Starting to show it's age (some rust), but still gets 29-32 mpg to/from work in mixed highway city driving.

Cheap, very reliable and great mileage. MPG today at 193K miles is still better that many new cars today.

No longer made but it could have used more power. AC unit really puts a load on the engine.

A sleeper
By ford escort wagon

1998 Ford Escort Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Bought Ford wagon 2002 used with 48,000k miles drove it to 155,200k doing courier deliveries gave it to my daughter she drove it for 3 years, then she gave it to grand daughter for college later she gave it to younger sister then the care was sold in 2008 with 243,000, this car is still running only routine maintenance tires brakes timing belts tune ups

great american car