1998 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Fantastic City Car
By jhs7 on 10/07/11 22:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for the past 11 years and have had very few problems with it. It has enough power to be fun to drive, and to get you around slow trucks when you need to, while still getting good gas mileage. The best thing about it, though, is the amazing amount of cargo space for an economy coupe. Between the surprisingly roomy trunk, and the fold-down seats, you can actually haul quite a lot of stuff. I am regularly surprised at how much I can stuff into such a small car. On top of that, it's one of the best-looking cars in its class, (IMHO), it turns on a dime, and it fits in almost any parking space. The only thing it doesn't do well is snow. But then, what little car does?

LIKE THE ENERGIZER!!! IT JUST KEEPS GOIN AN GOIN!!
By mmfm on 12/24/10 11:20 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Ive had my 98 zx2 forever. She never lets me down. Im the third owner. The guy b 4 me literally drove the wheels off of it. didnt change the oil for 3 years over 41000 miles. when i got it did a tune up an a oil change.I only run the best. 93 octane ngk11 plugs an 8mm wires. castrol sytec fully sythetic. has 336,588 miles on it right now. still rips. took it to quaker drag strip ran a 15.3 at 91mph. bone stock. blew quite a few doors off it its time an will continue til it dyes on me. Its a fact if u take care of ur car ur car will take care of u. i have replace everthing on it once or maybe twice but i definatly got my moneys worth !!!!!5 STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This car is solid
By Heathro21 on 02/26/10 12:29 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

She is at 109,000 kms - just change the oil every 3K kms - only have had to change out the tie rods - that is it. I was going to buy a new car, but I don't have any need to. Great little car.

This car won't die
By kennedys on 01/24/10 20:47 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I put about 500 miles a week on this car on my daily commute to work. I have been waiting for it to die since I graduated college and got my long distance job. I have never broken down in it yet. So far since I took it over I have only had to replace tires and the tape deck/Radio which I was going to do anyway. One year I didn't even change the oil from inspection to inspection and it still ran like a champ. I wish I had a reason to get a new car but it is so reliable even at 130K. Who ever said foreign cars are more reliable than domestic really needs to check the date it isn't the 80's anymore.

Good for 6 years only
By DarthSodomus on 07/13/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased this as my first car way back on Halloween 1998. This car was very good to me for the first 6.5 years. I did all the required maintainance. Then the transmission went after 110K miles - expensive repair. After repairing that, the engine went 2 years later - expensive repair. I have had to replace the alternator twice as well replace the water pump and some drive pulleys all expensive repairs. Finally, just now, the AC compressor went and had to install an aftermarket AC delete pulley. I've gotten 11 years so far out of it but the repairs have been expensive over the last 4 years ~$8000. But (unfortunately) still cheaper than new car payments so I could not justify a new car

1998 ZX 2 cool coupe
By Mike on 06/10/09 05:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 91K it now has 170K just replaced timming belt, water pump, regular belts and pulleys, still has original clutch (5 speed) and some of the vacume lines are starting to crack but it is a very reliable car . Parts are cheap and avalible. down fall is it is a very hard car to work on as it is very tight in the engine compartment. All above work was done as preventive maintenace not corrective. This car also wears tires a little funny and somtimes you will get a woomp woomp woomp from the under carrage as the tires wear though that phase of wear I guess. Anyway I wish more companies made cars like this they would be in less trouble now.

167,000 miles and still going strong!
By EHWRYN on 06/08/09 00:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with around 70k miles on it and so far in the past 5 years only have had 1 major break-down ( pullies for the serpentine belt broke)since this is a non-interference engine - no engine damage. Other than that I have had very little trouble (alternator went out and a PC valve - around 120k miles). It is very reliable and starts every time! For a 11 yr old car, it still has power and is fun to drive. The engine has never overheated, even when charging up a hill with the A/C on full blast while it is over 100 degrees outside. I never worry when I have to drive long distances - And a mechanic told me it was a "throw-away car not built to last".

What a good little car
By redgirl on 12/30/08 17:16 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought car 11 months ago it now has 134,000 miles and I think with a new clutch. It will make it to 150,000. Only thing is it is beat up looking. The person who owned it last scratched it all up. So I am selling her. It took me to Gainseville, and Orlando. I live in Stuart and that's a hike. Again great little car

I love this car
By chris on 11/06/08 14:49 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 165k on it in jan of 08. It now has 200k on it. I have replaced the wheel bearings, the serpentine belt, and tires. It is by far the cheapest and most reliable car I have ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone. I'm kinda upset they stopped making them. When or if this one dies I will be buying another one.

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great
By Andrew on 03/27/08 19:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!