Used 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Fantastic City Car
By jhs7

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for the past 11 years and have had very few problems with it. It has enough power to be fun to drive, and to get you around slow trucks when you need to, while still getting good gas mileage. The best thing about it, though, is the amazing amount of cargo space for an economy coupe. Between the surprisingly roomy trunk, and the fold-down seats, you can actually haul quite a lot of stuff. I am regularly surprised at how much I can stuff into such a small car. On top of that, it's one of the best-looking cars in its class, (IMHO), it turns on a dime, and it fits in almost any parking space. The only thing it doesn't do well is snow. But then, what little car does?

Big trunk and large opening to the trunk (for its class). Tight turning radius. Cool-looking headlights.

Gear shift can be a bit persnickety. Also, the electrical outlet shuts off when you turn off the car, which can be annoying at times.

LIKE THE ENERGIZER!!! IT JUST KEEPS GOIN AN GOIN!!
By mmfm

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Ive had my 98 zx2 forever. She never lets me down. Im the third owner. The guy b 4 me literally drove the wheels off of it. didnt change the oil for 3 years over 41000 miles. when i got it did a tune up an a oil change.I only run the best. 93 octane ngk11 plugs an 8mm wires. castrol sytec fully sythetic. has 336,588 miles on it right now. still rips. took it to quaker drag strip ran a 15.3 at 91mph. bone stock. blew quite a few doors off it its time an will continue til it dyes on me. Its a fact if u take care of ur car ur car will take care of u. i have replace everthing on it once or maybe twice but i definatly got my moneys worth !!!!!5 STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE 5 SPEED TRANNY IS FLAWLESS...That car has surprized many people in its time.. ive made quite a few people mad.. cause they got beat by an escort.. I know id hate to lose to one. I also like the interior. pretty comphy for a guy my size. im 5/11 225lbs an its not hard on the back an i got plenty of room.

if they had to change somethin id say have to b the wheels. im not real keane of the front bumper either but they work an get the job done... 5STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This car is solid
By Heathro21

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

She is at 109,000 kms - just change the oil every 3K kms - only have had to change out the tie rods - that is it. I was going to buy a new car, but I don't have any need to. Great little car.

This car won't die
By kennedys

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I put about 500 miles a week on this car on my daily commute to work. I have been waiting for it to die since I graduated college and got my long distance job. I have never broken down in it yet. So far since I took it over I have only had to replace tires and the tape deck/Radio which I was going to do anyway. One year I didn't even change the oil from inspection to inspection and it still ran like a champ. I wish I had a reason to get a new car but it is so reliable even at 130K. Who ever said foreign cars are more reliable than domestic really needs to check the date it isn't the 80's anymore.

Gas mileage, acceleration, easy to maintain engine and cheap replacement parts.

Resale value but honestly anyone buying an escort and expecting a resale value is kidding themselves. Better seats and better wiper fluid system. Word of advice don't blast the wiper fluid with the windows down or you will get covered in wiper fluid.

Good for 6 years only
By DarthSodomus

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased this as my first car way back on Halloween 1998. This car was very good to me for the first 6.5 years. I did all the required maintainance. Then the transmission went after 110K miles - expensive repair. After repairing that, the engine went 2 years later - expensive repair. I have had to replace the alternator twice as well replace the water pump and some drive pulleys all expensive repairs. Finally, just now, the AC compressor went and had to install an aftermarket AC delete pulley. I've gotten 11 years so far out of it but the repairs have been expensive over the last 4 years ~$8000. But (unfortunately) still cheaper than new car payments so I could not justify a new car

Nice acceleration. Good handling. Lots of features for price. As for reliability go buy a Honda civic instead. A CON is no resalve value. The car is now worthless.

Increase the reliability. Now I'm waiting for a cash for clunkers bill in canada to replace it with a civic. If the Canadian government gives me $3500 for a $500 car I'm gonna laugh all the way to the Honda dealership to get a civic. Buy honda for resale value.