1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
zx2
By mike on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned this little car since I purchased it new in 1998. It has been a fun and economical. I have never had issues until the car reached over 200k. Then things started to break, typical stuff alternator, rear wheel cylinders, struts, just recently the fuel pump. The a/c works some times. Heck what do expect from a car with nearly 300k

Can't be killed
By jaxson on 07/18/09 16:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is ridiculous. Got this in 11/01 used from some dude who wanted a car with cruise control. Had 56K miles on it, almost 8 years later I have 143K on it. No problems at all with this thing. Runs as smooth as it did the day i took it over. Oil is always clean, probably dont even have to get an oil change every 5k miles. I still have to replace the timing belt. The tie rods had to be occasionally replaced every now and then. But thats it. I wish this thing would die already so I can feel justifed to get a new car already!

GREAT
By tink on 03/07/09 18:58 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used 3 years ago i had to do very little mechanical work the major thing that went wrong was the timing jumped i am getting ready to buy a 2nd ford escort if that tells ya how much i loved this car my son(teenager) drives the one i bought 3 years ago and loves it i would reccommend this car it very realiable and trustworthy

1998 ZX2 Escort
By 87irocZ28camaro on 09/13/08 22:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The Escort isn't the best car but for the price come on. It never had trouble only needed a new pair of cheap tires and some cheap brakes and that was right before I sold it. It's a great car. Family look but great performance. Get one if you want a reliable cheap sport car.

Amazx2ing
By mike1975nj on 01/20/07 08:31 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used in 9/03 from a private party. I have all original receipts from this car since new including the window sticker. I lucked out big time. I have a 1998 5 speed and at the time I didn't want red nor did I want a Ford. After three years of owning this car I must say it is without a doubt mint. I love everything about this car except the fact that Ford canceled it and replaced it with junk. I must say that I am so happy that I got a stick rather than the automatic which is terrible and boring in this car. This is not a sport or racing car rather a sporty little economical car that if treated right with go head to head with any Toyota, Honda, or Madza (lol). Amazing!

Basic Transportation, Noisy on the Road
By Ken H on 01/11/06 19:25 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

We bought this car for our daughter's use while at school on the east coast. It spent three years in Philadelphia, crossed the country three times ending up on the west coast. The car has 101K miles on it currently. We've had two major engine repairs. One involving an internal governing device in the engine and the other was a head gasket that had to be replaced at 80K miles. One thing that does stand out with this car is the high road noise especially at freeway speeds. Only other item that is an irritant is the seat belts are attached well behind the front seats and are very difficult to reach with the doors closed.

Great commuter
By Lily on 07/12/05 21:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since it came out 7 years ago and it's a fantastic car. Other than routine maintenance, I've never had a problem and it has been the most reliable car in my driveway. Its compact size but interior comfort make it a great commuter car, which is fantastic in an area with some of the worst traffic in the nation. Overall, great car and I plan to keep driving it for years to come!

Good looking,reliable, gets the job done
By Drive it to the bone on 03/23/05 19:12 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I got this car after high school graduation and had it throughout college. My dad used it to drive pretty far to work everyday while I was away, and this whole time nothing bad has gone wrong. Besides the usual wear and tear, the worst thing that happened was the horror that was installing my CD deck over the old trim. I would change some small things, but overall, its a fun, reliable and good looking vehicle considering some factors.

I love my ZX2
By BonBon on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My car is great. Good gas mileage, reliable, small (but not too small!), sporty....Ford did a great job.

Fun to Drive Expensive to fix.
By Erinf on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I bought this car back in 2000, off a lease. Got the extended warranty. Until 60k the car was fine. I had one transmission problem, which the dealership fixed and gave me a rental for a week. At around 60k things got scarey. Repairs in the 2-3k range, all over the place. It like the car had been built to survive just past the warranty then totally fall apart... hondas and toyotas don't do this, why do fords?