Used 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

zx2
By mike

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned this little car since I purchased it new in 1998. It has been a fun and economical. I have never had issues until the car reached over 200k. Then things started to break, typical stuff alternator, rear wheel cylinders, struts, just recently the fuel pump. The a/c works some times. Heck what do expect from a car with nearly 300k

Favorite Features

fuel economy my average has been 32-33 mpg

Suggested Improvements

none they quite making this vehicle

Can't be killed
By jaxson

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is ridiculous. Got this in 11/01 used from some dude who wanted a car with cruise control. Had 56K miles on it, almost 8 years later I have 143K on it. No problems at all with this thing. Runs as smooth as it did the day i took it over. Oil is always clean, probably dont even have to get an oil change every 5k miles. I still have to replace the timing belt. The tie rods had to be occasionally replaced every now and then. But thats it. I wish this thing would die already so I can feel justifed to get a new car already!

Favorite Features

Peppyness, quick off the draw.

GREAT
By tink

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used 3 years ago i had to do very little mechanical work the major thing that went wrong was the timing jumped i am getting ready to buy a 2nd ford escort if that tells ya how much i loved this car my son(teenager) drives the one i bought 3 years ago and loves it i would reccommend this car it very realiable and trustworthy

Suggested Improvements

a cd player and make it a lil more roomier on the inside

1998 ZX2 Escort
By 87irocZ28camaro

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The Escort isn't the best car but for the price come on. It never had trouble only needed a new pair of cheap tires and some cheap brakes and that was right before I sold it. It's a great car. Family look but great performance. Get one if you want a reliable cheap sport car.

Favorite Features

Performance, spoiler, traction, miles, and mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Interior, rims, cargo area

Amazx2ing
By mike1975nj

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used in 9/03 from a private party. I have all original receipts from this car since new including the window sticker. I lucked out big time. I have a 1998 5 speed and at the time I didn't want red nor did I want a Ford. After three years of owning this car I must say it is without a doubt mint. I love everything about this car except the fact that Ford canceled it and replaced it with junk. I must say that I am so happy that I got a stick rather than the automatic which is terrible and boring in this car. This is not a sport or racing car rather a sporty little economical car that if treated right with go head to head with any Toyota, Honda, or Madza (lol). Amazing!

Favorite Features

Handling turns, fog lights, moonroof, reliability, the heat/ ac, park it anywhere, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Continue making them, trunk cd player, braking system, interior.