1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
escort 330 k miles
By dan299 on 05/30/13 18:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

bought the car with 156000 miles about 6 years ago..im at 330;000 and still running good had to replace the clutch,,but u should expect that with that mileage...other than that just regular maintenance.......

Broke all the time
By rose313 on 08/23/12 13:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this Escort, my first car, with 55k miles on it and drove it until the transmission went at 210k miles. Every month from the time I bought it, it was in the shop. I had to replace everything, some things twice, such as the muffler and exhaust. I replaced the e-brake, shocks, struts, fuel injection system, intake valve, just about everything in this car. I loved it because it was my first car and the fact that it was so roomy, I loved having so much space in the back. I used to see these on the road all the time, but now I hardly ever see one, I'm guessing it's because they all fell apart.

Great little hauler!
By Byron on 08/13/10 13:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new in 1998; wish I had bought two of them! Only major work in 12 years was replacing timing belt and rear brake lines. I put snow tires on their own rims on for 6 months of the year to help save original rims and tires (replaced twice). Live in New Hampshire, so a little rust has shown up around wheel wells. For less than $500 in body work, I'll have a car that should last for several more years. Gets mid 30's mpg on highway with manual transmission. Wish that Ford hadn't discontinued the Escort line. Will consider the Fiesta down the road for my next car, but am in no particular hurry.

Great little wagon
By Rod on 06/26/10 18:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new in 1998. As of June 2011, it has 193,000 miles on it. Only failing were the rear springs at 150K in 2005. Regular maintenance and regular (3K interval) oil changes. Starting to show it's age (some rust), but still gets 29-32 mpg to/from work in mixed highway city driving.

A sleeper
By ford escort wagon on 05/27/10 13:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Bought Ford wagon 2002 used with 48,000k miles drove it to 155,200k doing courier deliveries gave it to my daughter she drove it for 3 years, then she gave it to grand daughter for college later she gave it to younger sister then the care was sold in 2008 with 243,000, this car is still running only routine maintenance tires brakes timing belts tune ups

realibility plus
By monty on 09/27/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

i purchased this auto from my employer 6 years ago with 74k on it. i now have 140k. i get 25mpg around town and 35mpg highway.the timing belt broke at 110k. did not cause any engine damage as with many autos. purchasd new belt for $20 at auto parts store.alternator went this year,very easy to replace. ($45used with 1 year warrenty)as with most drivers i would like a newer auto but the escorts reliability and very reasionable replacement parts cost will have me driving it for a few more years.

cabin car
By Jerry on 08/06/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Purchased 5 years ago at 29000 miles. It had been dealer maintained, driven as second car, never in salt, paid $3600. I have alloy wheels (I had on a Mazda)and hi performance tires. We drive summers only as our (2 people) only car during that time. Now with 86000 miles replacement tires and front brake pad only. Nothing has failed. It is a great car for local use. Mileage with automatic, driven in a spirited manner is 30mpg locally, 33-4 at 73mph using cruise. On extended interstate trips it is acceptably comfortable, shifts out of lockup on hills when using cruise. Very reliable, economical utilitarian vehicle. Nowhere as comfortable, peppy, sporty handling as our 2004 Mazda 3.

Excellent Small Wagon
By senior citizen on 02/09/09 20:03 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new for my late wife. I've used it as an around-town car since she died. It's been a great small wagon for that purpose. Very dependable, good quality, minimal repairs, great gas mileage, still looks good and drives well. (I keep it garaged and regularly serviced at the Ford dealer.) I expect to keep it until I die or wreck it.

Original satisfied owner.
By Joe on 12/04/08 12:26 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

98 SE Wagon. This has been a good economical vehicle. Simple interior design. 24 to 34 mpg. Scheduled maintenance routines were followed for normal usage. Fair to good handling in moderate snow conditions. Final assembly, U.S.A. (I purposely avoided the non-U.S.A. assemblies). Original tires, Uniroyal Tiger Paw, lasted 70K. OEM battery, 8 yrs. Uncomfortable seating on long drives.

No more Fords!
By Frank on 03/07/08 22:31 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Had an 87 Escort wagon made in New Jersey, got good basic A-to-B transportation & made it to 250,000 mi. So I got this newer 1998 replacement but only made it to 150,000 & had to junk it. Was made in Mexico & had many poor quality problems (rust, bad dash & dome lights, replaced P/S, etc & finally internal engine damage). Have had other Fords before & know they're generally lesser quality than other brands, but this was worst experience. Now I'm an angry ex-Ford customer.