Used 1998 Ford Escort SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Loretta
By tbone0822

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

After having this car for a couple of years, we decided she deserved a name, Loretta. We bought her when she was already 12 years old but she only had 63,000 miles on her. Now she's got almost 150,000 and still going strong. The fuel pump has been replaced and a couple of other things, but she's never left me stranded. All of those were things that I needed to do, but she gave me the time to save the money and never quit on me. We love this car. She is now being passed down to my daughter who loves her just as much as I do.

Favorite Features

She gets good mileage and never quits. Just goes and goes.

Suggested Improvements

Could have a little more get up and go and the ac doesn't work, but she's older than dirt.

Got me around
By usn_ht

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

One of Ford's best for basic trasportation. Purch from original owner with 111k mi after sitting in yard for 2yr. Have driven it 65k miles since. Never left me stranded, only normal maint. items; i.e. timing belt, brakes, tires, muffler. New England winters & excessive road salt have taken a toll on the body. Engine still runs strong and uses less that 1qt. of oil per 2k miles.

Favorite Features

Shifts well. Good gas mileage. Great for basic transport.

Suggested Improvements

more sound dampening. If body was in good shape I would Dynamat the whole interior and maybe a Corbeau driver seat. Stock seats are less than adequate for my 6'2" frame and a 38 mile commute.

Great Car
By Sandy Loam

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We had issues the very next day after driving it off the lot. The engine would die while driving. We took it back twice and when I demanded a free loaner while they fixed the problem, they replaced a sensor. At 30,000 miles, the transmission went and it took the Ford dealership in Sierra Vista, AZ 6 transmissions and 3 weeks to get the right one, they finally put in a Mazda transmission. AC went out, 2 dealerships could not find out why, it was never fixed.CD changer stopped working. After that, we had very little problems and we had to get rid of it after I hit a bear and totaled it out. It had well over 230,000 miles on it and was still going strong. Overall, great car & fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The ride and sportiness for being a 4 door sedan. MPG was great.

Suggested Improvements

Pick a transmission, and stick with it. The CD changer is garbage.

Great little car
By Dan

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Brought car with 96,000 mi and have 128,000 now. Only part replaced was a inner tie rod and with labor less then $100 No rust on the car after 2 northeast winters. AC still blowing cold and never serviced.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. I have a 5 speed standard and get an average 30 mpg city and 42 highway (going 70 MPH with AC on). Easy to reach cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. Easy to drive

Suggested Improvements

2.0 L engine ok for flat land and gradual hills, but slow to accelerate onto highway. Needs inside trunk release.

This pony won't quit
By Dennis

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have put on 40,000 miles after the first owner's 206,000 miles. The engine still runs perfectly with surprising mileage --30-32 mpg in my daily 45 mile commute through and around Detroit and up to 40 mpg in slower highway driving. The body has not a squeak or rattle. Snow traction is great. I've driven through a foot of snow without any problem other than ice getting jammed in the suspension. The AC failed last year; estimates were for more than I paid for the car so I am living with that. I replaced rear struts at about 230,000 miles. Looking ahead, I see only months left on the clutch and 3rd gear is down to a nub so I have to decide soon whether to see if I can get another 200k.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. I loved it on Kentucky mountain roads; no problem with potholed Detroit alleys. So reliable and durable. Still no oil use. This is a much better car than my previous six Fords.

Suggested Improvements

The padding in the seats is not designed for a 600 mile day.