Used 1998 Ford Escort LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

THIS CAR JUST KEEPS GOING!
By gradstudent99

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car back in 2005, have had it almost 6 years and have put close to 50,000 miles on it. This car has been through snow storms, and near floods. Has never left me stranded or broken down on me. Has never had a day where it didn't start. This has been the most low maintenance car I've ever had. Over the past 6 years I can't say that I've spend more than $1,200 on my car. Which is like an average of $300 a year including oil changes and tire replacements etc. Love this car, and at 140,000 its tickin' like it just left the dealer's lot.

Manual transmission has a good strength and feel for a car that only has 130 hp, it gets up there and has gone toe to toe with civics, eclipses and defeated them.

Horrible Car
By Will

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car is the most "Gutless" piece of machinery I have ever encountered. My dog can accelerate faster than this car. We have been stricken with repair after repair. Now the entire exhaust system is shot and needs replacement.

None!

Never build this car again!!

My First Car
By Dre

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I just resently got a 98 Ford Escort LX as my first car. When I first saw it I wasn't very happy with it. It just didn't look quite right. Now that I have it I really like it. My Escort only has 74,950 miles on it! Not bad for a 98.

I really like the power windows, locks, and mirrors. The front is very roomy and even the back too, and I am 5'10".

A inside trunk release would be nice and a standard CD player.

Very trusty, reliable car
By artbkward

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven my 98 Escort since I turned 16 (8 years ago), it has never required any more than routine repair. It's got 147,000 miles on it now and still has alot of life left in it. Gets good fuel mileage although does have small spot of rust on the door. I added a CD player since it came with AM/FM radio only. It's been a great little car for me, I would highly recommend.

Roomy interior despite small size, reliablity, fuel mileage,

Cup holder doesn't fit large drink while car is in park. Rear cup holder isn't deep enough: drink spills when going around turns. CD player should be standard. Rear defrost.

great little car that keeps on running!
By markiejohng

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Ford Escort LX back in Sept. of 2005 and this car has been nothing but a great little ride. It is very reliable, has peppy performance with the 5-speed, drives very well, the interior is very functional, and the body is in excellent shape. It provides me with great all-around transportation. It had 121,000 miles when I purchased it and the motor continues to run strong like new. It gets excellent gas mileage. All around, it has been a great car to own. The only things I have had to replace was a thermostat and a new battery. Other than that, it just keeps running and running.

Peppy engine, interior layout, roomy trunk, easy accessibility, fun 5-speed manual transmission, and cute look.

Suspension feels "loose" and not solid like some imports with similar mileage, brakes squeak too much, and back seat is a little cramped for passengers.