1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Loretta
By tbone0822 on 10/04/13 02:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

After having this car for a couple of years, we decided she deserved a name, Loretta. We bought her when she was already 12 years old but she only had 63,000 miles on her. Now she's got almost 150,000 and still going strong. The fuel pump has been replaced and a couple of other things, but she's never left me stranded. All of those were things that I needed to do, but she gave me the time to save the money and never quit on me. We love this car. She is now being passed down to my daughter who loves her just as much as I do.

escort 330 k miles
By dan299 on 05/30/13 18:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

bought the car with 156000 miles about 6 years ago..im at 330;000 and still running good had to replace the clutch,,but u should expect that with that mileage...other than that just regular maintenance.......

Broke all the time
By rose313 on 08/23/12 13:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this Escort, my first car, with 55k miles on it and drove it until the transmission went at 210k miles. Every month from the time I bought it, it was in the shop. I had to replace everything, some things twice, such as the muffler and exhaust. I replaced the e-brake, shocks, struts, fuel injection system, intake valve, just about everything in this car. I loved it because it was my first car and the fact that it was so roomy, I loved having so much space in the back. I used to see these on the road all the time, but now I hardly ever see one, I'm guessing it's because they all fell apart.

Got me around
By usn_ht on 03/02/12 13:34 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

One of Ford's best for basic trasportation. Purch from original owner with 111k mi after sitting in yard for 2yr. Have driven it 65k miles since. Never left me stranded, only normal maint. items; i.e. timing belt, brakes, tires, muffler. New England winters & excessive road salt have taken a toll on the body. Engine still runs strong and uses less that 1qt. of oil per 2k miles.

Fantastic City Car
By jhs7 on 10/07/11 22:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for the past 11 years and have had very few problems with it. It has enough power to be fun to drive, and to get you around slow trucks when you need to, while still getting good gas mileage. The best thing about it, though, is the amazing amount of cargo space for an economy coupe. Between the surprisingly roomy trunk, and the fold-down seats, you can actually haul quite a lot of stuff. I am regularly surprised at how much I can stuff into such a small car. On top of that, it's one of the best-looking cars in its class, (IMHO), it turns on a dime, and it fits in almost any parking space. The only thing it doesn't do well is snow. But then, what little car does?

THIS CAR JUST KEEPS GOING!
By gradstudent99 on 01/28/11 19:55 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car back in 2005, have had it almost 6 years and have put close to 50,000 miles on it. This car has been through snow storms, and near floods. Has never left me stranded or broken down on me. Has never had a day where it didn't start. This has been the most low maintenance car I've ever had. Over the past 6 years I can't say that I've spend more than $1,200 on my car. Which is like an average of $300 a year including oil changes and tire replacements etc. Love this car, and at 140,000 its tickin' like it just left the dealer's lot.

LIKE THE ENERGIZER!!! IT JUST KEEPS GOIN AN GOIN!!
By mmfm on 12/24/10 11:20 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Ive had my 98 zx2 forever. She never lets me down. Im the third owner. The guy b 4 me literally drove the wheels off of it. didnt change the oil for 3 years over 41000 miles. when i got it did a tune up an a oil change.I only run the best. 93 octane ngk11 plugs an 8mm wires. castrol sytec fully sythetic. has 336,588 miles on it right now. still rips. took it to quaker drag strip ran a 15.3 at 91mph. bone stock. blew quite a few doors off it its time an will continue til it dyes on me. Its a fact if u take care of ur car ur car will take care of u. i have replace everthing on it once or maybe twice but i definatly got my moneys worth !!!!!5 STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Car
By Sandy Loam on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We had issues the very next day after driving it off the lot. The engine would die while driving. We took it back twice and when I demanded a free loaner while they fixed the problem, they replaced a sensor. At 30,000 miles, the transmission went and it took the Ford dealership in Sierra Vista, AZ 6 transmissions and 3 weeks to get the right one, they finally put in a Mazda transmission. AC went out, 2 dealerships could not find out why, it was never fixed.CD changer stopped working. After that, we had very little problems and we had to get rid of it after I hit a bear and totaled it out. It had well over 230,000 miles on it and was still going strong. Overall, great car & fun to drive.

zx2
By mike on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned this little car since I purchased it new in 1998. It has been a fun and economical. I have never had issues until the car reached over 200k. Then things started to break, typical stuff alternator, rear wheel cylinders, struts, just recently the fuel pump. The a/c works some times. Heck what do expect from a car with nearly 300k

Great little hauler!
By Byron on 08/13/10 13:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car new in 1998; wish I had bought two of them! Only major work in 12 years was replacing timing belt and rear brake lines. I put snow tires on their own rims on for 6 months of the year to help save original rims and tires (replaced twice). Live in New Hampshire, so a little rust has shown up around wheel wells. For less than $500 in body work, I'll have a car that should last for several more years. Gets mid 30's mpg on highway with manual transmission. Wish that Ford hadn't discontinued the Escort line. Will consider the Fiesta down the road for my next car, but am in no particular hurry.