Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Most Helpful|
Fantastic City Car
By jhs7

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for the past 11 years and have had very few problems with it. It has enough power to be fun to drive, and to get you around slow trucks when you need to, while still getting good gas mileage. The best thing about it, though, is the amazing amount of cargo space for an economy coupe. Between the surprisingly roomy trunk, and the fold-down seats, you can actually haul quite a lot of stuff. I am regularly surprised at how much I can stuff into such a small car. On top of that, it's one of the best-looking cars in its class, (IMHO), it turns on a dime, and it fits in almost any parking space. The only thing it doesn't do well is snow. But then, what little car does?

Favorite Features

Big trunk and large opening to the trunk (for its class). Tight turning radius. Cool-looking headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift can be a bit persnickety. Also, the electrical outlet shuts off when you turn off the car, which can be annoying at times.

zx2
By mike

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned this little car since I purchased it new in 1998. It has been a fun and economical. I have never had issues until the car reached over 200k. Then things started to break, typical stuff alternator, rear wheel cylinders, struts, just recently the fuel pump. The a/c works some times. Heck what do expect from a car with nearly 300k

Favorite Features

fuel economy my average has been 32-33 mpg

Suggested Improvements

none they quite making this vehicle

LIKE THE ENERGIZER!!! IT JUST KEEPS GOIN AN GOIN!!
By mmfm

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Ive had my 98 zx2 forever. She never lets me down. Im the third owner. The guy b 4 me literally drove the wheels off of it. didnt change the oil for 3 years over 41000 miles. when i got it did a tune up an a oil change.I only run the best. 93 octane ngk11 plugs an 8mm wires. castrol sytec fully sythetic. has 336,588 miles on it right now. still rips. took it to quaker drag strip ran a 15.3 at 91mph. bone stock. blew quite a few doors off it its time an will continue til it dyes on me. Its a fact if u take care of ur car ur car will take care of u. i have replace everthing on it once or maybe twice but i definatly got my moneys worth !!!!!5 STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

THE 5 SPEED TRANNY IS FLAWLESS...That car has surprized many people in its time.. ive made quite a few people mad.. cause they got beat by an escort.. I know id hate to lose to one. I also like the interior. pretty comphy for a guy my size. im 5/11 225lbs an its not hard on the back an i got plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

if they had to change somethin id say have to b the wheels. im not real keane of the front bumper either but they work an get the job done... 5STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This car won't die
By kennedys

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I put about 500 miles a week on this car on my daily commute to work. I have been waiting for it to die since I graduated college and got my long distance job. I have never broken down in it yet. So far since I took it over I have only had to replace tires and the tape deck/Radio which I was going to do anyway. One year I didn't even change the oil from inspection to inspection and it still ran like a champ. I wish I had a reason to get a new car but it is so reliable even at 130K. Who ever said foreign cars are more reliable than domestic really needs to check the date it isn't the 80's anymore.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, acceleration, easy to maintain engine and cheap replacement parts.

Suggested Improvements

Resale value but honestly anyone buying an escort and expecting a resale value is kidding themselves. Better seats and better wiper fluid system. Word of advice don't blast the wiper fluid with the windows down or you will get covered in wiper fluid.

This car is solid
By Heathro21

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

She is at 109,000 kms - just change the oil every 3K kms - only have had to change out the tie rods - that is it. I was going to buy a new car, but I don't have any need to. Great little car.