Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

98 wagon
By mdwalker13@comcast.net

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Bought used in 1999 with 25,000 miles. Not a lot of power but fun to drive around town. Reliability has been better than average, interior and body/paint have held up well and average 30 - 32 mpg. A great second car and will keep it until it dies.

Loretta
By tbone0822

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

After having this car for a couple of years, we decided she deserved a name, Loretta.
We bought her when she was already 12 years old but she only had 63,000 miles on her.
Now she's got almost 150,000 and still going strong.
The fuel pump has been replaced and a couple of other things, but she's never left me stranded.
All of those were things that I needed to do, but she gave me the time to save the money and never quit on me.
We love this car.
She is now being passed down to my daughter who loves her just as much as I do.

She gets good mileage and never quits. Just goes and goes.

Could have a little more get up and go and the ac doesn't work, but she's older than dirt.

escort 330 k miles
By dan299

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

bought the car with 156000 miles about 6 years ago..im at 330;000 and still running good had to replace the clutch,,but u should expect that with that mileage...other than that just regular maintenance.......

Broke all the time
By rose313

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this Escort, my first car, with 55k miles on it and drove it until the transmission went at 210k miles. Every month from the time I bought it, it was in the shop. I had to replace everything, some things twice, such as the muffler and exhaust. I replaced the e-brake, shocks, struts, fuel injection system, intake valve, just about everything in this car. I loved it because it was my first car and the fact that it was so roomy, I loved having so much space in the back. I used to see these on the road all the time, but now I hardly ever see one, I'm guessing it's because they all fell apart.

Exterior was fine, paint didn't peel even after very high mileage. The hatchback was easy to use and had plenty of space.

I wish it had been made with better quality parts, so I wouldn't have to have spent so much money fixing it.

Got me around
By usn_ht

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

One of Ford's best for basic trasportation.
Purch from original owner with 111k mi after sitting in yard for 2yr. Have driven it 65k miles since. Never left me stranded, only normal maint. items; i.e. timing belt, brakes, tires, muffler. New England winters & excessive road salt have taken a toll on the body.
Engine still runs strong and uses less that 1qt. of oil per 2k miles.

Shifts well. Good gas mileage. Great for basic transport.

more sound dampening. If body was in good shape I would Dynamat the whole interior and maybe a Corbeau driver seat. Stock seats are less than adequate for my 6'2" frame and a 38 mile commute.