1997 Ford Escort Consumer Review: I can't find a better car

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Review

LX Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

I can't find a better car
By Grunchy on

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2004 with 160,000 km on the odometer (7 years old). It's now up to 230,000 km and runs the same. Not a lot of maintenance in that time, total must be < $500 for 5 years. I changed the timing belt because I didn't know its history, had the broken rear springs replaced (mainly because they made a disagreeable "clunk" noise). The CV joint boot split one day so I had CV joints done. The front brake discs developed a warp so I changed the pair for $65 Cdn including tax -- the pads still have lots of meat! The car still runs great, no problems. I am having an extremely difficult time finding a replacement that has the same features & functionality(it's now 12 years old).

Very clean, simple car. Excellent mileage, excellent reliability. Cheap, yet still manages to look presentable. This thing just will not quit!

I would consider putting in an aftermarket stereo but the faceplate adaptors all seem to be pretty cheap. Oh well, the factory radio still works 100%. It could use a set of bazooka tubes tho.