Great Utility Vehicle
By Escort Owner on
1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon
Have had no major problems other than blowing a head gasket at 130K miles. Fixed that for less than $300 with a box of wrenches and a Haynes manual. Drove crosscountry twice, and was main travel vehicle for years. Have hauled 1000 lbs of concrete in the back. Busted the shocks! 4x8 plywood fits nicely on the luggage rack. This car has carried the mail for me and my family for a long time. We used to joke about it being my sons first car. He was 1 when we got it. In a few years he will be old enough to drive it so it just may be. It's not fancy by any means but peppy for a small car. All in all it's been worth every penny.
Favorite Features
My favorite feature of this vehicle was it's ease of maintanence. Light and easy to fit in a garage for routine upkeep and oil changes. Parts are relatively inexpensive. I changed equip. on this vehicle mostly as preventative maintanence. Water pumps, timing belts, cables, and fluids.
Suggested Improvements
I would like the suspension to be upgraded. This car ate tie rod ends for some reason. Also I broke two sets of coil springs on the back of it. Once was my fault for overloading it but the second set I have yet to figure it out.