Used 1997 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

LUV my Escort Wagon
By LUV my Escort

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I live in Colorado & all these people move in from warmer climates & just have to buy their SUV's to get around in the snow. We only had 1 three foot blizzard in which it was impossible for anyone to get out. I also had to replace the rear springs & was shocked to learn they were broke. Apparently a common problem. Otherwise, this car has been extremely reliable & anyone who thinks that Ford doesn't build a good product should think again!

Cruise control & air conditioning.

Seat heaters!

It has served me well!
By kaisharif

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car in college and it has served me well. Very reliable, very good on gas. Minimal upkeep, just standard maintenance. Just made my last payment and plan on keeping it until it falls apart.

I love driving a 5 speed and it's actually a little peppy!

Cup holder is waaaayyyy to shallow. I can't count how many times I've spilled a drink!

great car, bad seller
By worldgirlorbit

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy my Escort, except for one thing. The oil system. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, but I have had so many problems with the pump, the sender unit, the filter. I've had three oil changes in the past two months alone, and I've only driven it a few times. Other than that I have had no problems.

Size and look of the car, it perfect for driving to the beach with my dog and some friends.

Make the engine compartment more accessible to home mechanics. This would cut down on the time it takes to fix it!

My kids hate this car! Mom loves it!
By LKB

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been very very loyal to me. Great gas mileage and very few repairs. I have driven it for 6.5 years and it has proven to be very reliable. It's not a pretty car; my kids don't want to be seen in it. I told them they'll be begging my to drive it when they get their licenses; I would have done backflips at 16 if this was my car. But I won't review the cars I had to drive with the rusted floorboards. It is great for a small person with 1 or 2 kids; nothing fancy and you do get plenty of road noise -- so turn up the radio!

Awesome gas mileage; about 30 MPG. My LS does have power windows & doors, so if you close your eyes, you COULD be in a nicer car.

Cup holders in front console are way too shallow to hold any cup of any size; good for change though. There is a middle holder that is a little deeper. Emergency brake is really touchy; its pretty close to the gear shift and if you are not careful, you'll engage it.

A working man's (women's) car
By Fordy Something

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I bought 2 brand new escorts, manual trans, the same exact day. At the time, I traveled over 750 miles a week. I swapped every other week attempting to have the cars outlast the loans. After 8 years and 330000 total miles on these 2 cars I can only say it was one of the better decisions I've made. Only major repair was the radiators on both failed the same week within a 1000 mi. of each other at about 100000 miles. That's it, aside from regularly scheduled maintenance. Unfortunately, the one with 150000 on it got rearended and the other with 180000 is getting tired. I'll miss them both. I suppose I'll never get this lucky again when it comes to purchasing a car.

manual trans gives it some guts - reliability was second to none - economical and affordable to operate

Install the same reliability in all cars! Especially the one I choose to buy next .... PLEASE!