1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Takes a Lickin'
By CA_Kid on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Bought new, now have over 100K on it and it still runs great. Body and paint job are outstanding and the engine is extremely durable. Like most 4 cyl. cars, some power is lost when turning on the A/C, but it sure comes out cool! Windshield seems to have a design flaw, the padding keeps coming out. Otherwise I couldn't be happier with this little commuter car.

1997 Escort
By Dueffert on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable, great gas mileage (about 34mpg. Easy to replace parts.

Great Car! No problems, hassle free.
By McGill on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

Serviced regularly, first issue was breaks started sqeaking (60k miles). Breaks were checked regularly & the mechanics were surprised that they were the original, 1st replace needed at 60K. Only problem was after I going over a "v" shaped driveway (v at the point road & driveway met), Heavier person in passenger seat & it hit caused a small leak in the radiator seam. Gets 30-35 in town, when not running the A/C and 40 on road trips. Bought a new car & now found a good deal on a Aero so hubby trying to talk me into selling it. We'll see, I've grown attached to it & the dependability.

Should Have Been Recalled
By gtrbernie on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I purchased my Escort in 2000 with 13,000 miles on it. After 19,000 miles of light duty, I was told that I needed new rear coil springs. I spoke to several people that owned the same vehicle, and several mechanics (including the service manager at my local Ford dealership), and was told that this is a common problem that Ford is aware of, but not footing the bill for. Otherwise, a reliable, but not very interesting, econobox. Total lack of ergonomic ingenuity.

Standard Solid Car
By Scott Pearson on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

This economical car is a family vehicle with no bells and whistles but plenty of perks to keep you happy. When you need a good used car, this is an excellent choice.

1997F0RD ESCORT
By CALEB on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I BOUGHT MY 97 ESCORT WITH 2100 MILES ON IT.IT HAS BEEN SUPER DEPENDABLE.HAD A CRANK PULLEY GO BAD AN A SENSOR ON THE GAS TANK .EACH WAS BITEY TO GET FIXED.THE FUEL SENSOR MIGHT HAVE BEEN MY FAULT IN THAT I HABITUALLY ADDED MORE GAS AFTER THE AUTOMATIC SHUT OFF.IF SO IT WAS A 3 HUNDRED DOLLAR LESSON. IT COULD EASILY USE MORE COMFORTABLE SEATS.ITS RESPONSIVE, STYLISH ECONOMICAL AND HIGHLY DEPENDABLE.ITS EASY TO USE AND EASY TO OWN!I THINK MY 8000 DOLLARS WAS WELL SPENT

Nice economy vehicle with lots of option
By Band Man on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

We bought the Escort Wagon in June of '97. Only one visit to the shop since then for a mechanical problem, and that was to replace a failed emission control part (after 3-year/36,000 mile warranty expired, of course - our cost was $175.00). During a brake job at 43,000 or so we had to replace the front rotors - they were too thin to turn. The car is fun to drive, but not exceptionally quiet. The stereo AM-FM cassette is pretty good, and the options available are great. Our Escort is loaded - every option but a CD player. I use the cruise control daily!

Great Car
By bark on 03/15/02 17:16 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I would have to rate my 97 Escort as execellent. It has racked up around 85000 trouble free miles. This particular Escort has a manual tranmission and gets around 30/36 mpg. The only drawback I can think of is related to the manual transmission. The manual tranny is a real hassle during rush hour traffic, stop go.

A reliable econobox
By Milek on 03/15/02 14:15 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

A surprisingly reliable car.

stamp's review
By Stamper8 on 03/03/02 20:08 PM (PST)

Great car