Used 1997 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Well spent money
By PizzaGuru

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Best compact car ford ever built! If your looking for a dependable car this is it. I've got 130,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. No major problems ever. Our other car is a Dodge Stratus.....It's always at the repair shop. The Escort will probably outlast me.

Favorite Features

Rear seats that fold down.

Suggested Improvements

ON THE KEY RING GET RID OF THE RED PANIC BUTTON!!!!!

Great inexpensive car
By brianl703

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This 1997 Ford Escort has aged pretty well. It drives pretty much as it did when we got it 5 years ago. Gas mileage is good, it handles pretty well (the chassis is much more rigid than previous year Ford Escorts). With 81,000 miles, the engine barely uses 1/3 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 in 4500 miles. The check engine light had been on for a couple of years (with a P1443 trouble code), I finally got around to fixing it by replacing the purge flow solenoid with a $5 wrecking yard part. It turned out the rubber hose had started deteriorating, and the solenoid got clogged with debris.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Reliability. Those parts which do break can be found cheaply at a wrecking yard.

Suggested Improvements

Bring this car back, Ford. Do it with new sheetmetal like everyone else does, but leave the mechanical pieces the same. They are reliable and time- tested. Your Japanese competition does that!

My lil red car
By NurseNell

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Fun to Drive. Dependable car. Good in snow. Attracts deer lol! Had a deer riding on my hood and windshield.Windshield never broke- mechanically sound vehicle--gas gage stuck on full at 89000 miles--regular oil changes done and replacement of y pipe a year ago. Thinking of trading to Dodge Stratus but will miss my little escort!

Favorite Features

5-speed, stereo,exterior body style

Suggested Improvements

need trunk opener inside car my automatic key lost and expensive to replace

Damn Asphalt
By zipzow319

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My '97 Escort was a fun little car w/just enough character to make me look like I was having fun. The highway miles were impecable, and the city miles weren't bad either. I made an average of two trips to Mn. from K.C. a year, and the car got me there and back w/no problems. Last time in Mn. I hit a piece of construction asphalt on the highway and totaled the car. All in all though, the car did me well and I had to shed a tear when the insurance company took it away from me.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, ability to work on engine, handles decently for the size, spoiler, trunk space

Suggested Improvements

stereo console (hard to update),

It really is okay...
By Husoni

1997 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

At first I had some issues with look of the vehicle as well as my experience with the dealership, but over the years I trully can not complain. I have backed into poles, other cars, spun out on the free way and still I have not had any injuries or had any repairs required. "it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin..." really. Gas is great as well. It's like my own private bumper car.

Favorite Features

Gas milage

Suggested Improvements

Comfort, sleeker style, more storage consoles.