Used 1997 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

5 stars...out of 100
By snowdozer

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

This car is a piece of junk. We went through not just one, but two cars: 97 Escort wagon, white. Same problem: the engine seized! Oil level was checked religiously. All preventative maintenance done. Welcome to the Ford family! Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk? Propriety prevents me from properly conveying my complete and heartfelt disgust at this putrid broken-down bucket of bolts. I would love to level both barrels of my indignation at the pinhead engineers that designed this car. Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk? Treat yourself right for once and DON'T buy this money-burning horror show! Not one but TWO cars, both donation material now

Favorite Features

I love how the engine seizes up after about 125000 miles. Sweet!

Suggested Improvements

Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk?

Great Little Car
By Rachel

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This little car has been great! It was my mother's car and now mine and we've pretty much run it until it could go no more. I'll be replacing it soon, but it's been super reliable. The only problems I've had have been recent...once it was over 110,000 miles!

Favorite Features

I love my color-boysenberry! The gas mileage is also great.

Suggested Improvements

It doesn't have a lot of get-up and go so if you live some place hilly, the acceleration up hills is rather slow.

unbelievably reliable
By Sab

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Escort for 7 years now, and have no complaints. I am a hard driver. I brake hard, drive fast, do a lot of u-turns, and am just plain aggressive, and my car has withstood it all. I've always maintained it well, with regular oil changes, fixed the brakes every few years, but have never had to do any major repairs. I've not rust-proofed it, and it only started to rust a couple of years ago, which I think is good. There seem to be virtually no blind spots either (with the exception of the usual one). I would recommend to anyone that they purchase this car. It would make a great starter car. I'm not parting with mine, unless she finally kicks the bucket.

Favorite Features

Color...fantastic fuchsia-like purple. All car manufacturer's should have one exceptional car color. Lack of blind spots. Good pick up for a little engine. Lack of repairs required.

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders.

Sooo Reliable!
By christie

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This Escort is my first and only car I have ever owned, and it has been amazingly reliable. In 6 years, I have only had to get new tires and replace the battery; there have been no major mechanical problems. I paid it off 3 years ago, but will probably drive it for one more year before replacing it.

Favorite Features

I like the turning radius - I can get in and out of any tight position with ease. The seats are comfortable, cruise control has been perfect, heating and cooling always worked well too.

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders are way too small to fit any size cup. My model doesn't have power windows or locks - that would be a nice improvement.

Gets me and my stuff from point A to B
By kfhoz

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this little station wagon about 4 years ago. I was looking at Subaru's because that is what I had owned before, and my husband has one but this one was much cheaper. It has worked just fine the whole time! The engine revs lots lower than the Subaru at highway speeds, so it gets lots better mileage. This car has worked for me as well as the Toyota Camry I drove for 5 years. It has not needed any fancy mechanical work, gets great mileage, and I don't worry about it. I carry kayaks on top, and camping gear inside, and have moved a portable dishwasher with no problem.

Favorite Features

I love the big buttons on the radio/cassette player. My old Toyota had itty bitty little buttons that were hard to operate while keeping your eyes on the road. The split-seats in the back, so you can get your skis inside, along with 3 passengers has been very nice. Has airbag.

Suggested Improvements

My least favorite feature on this car is the lack of central locking - and that is only because my previous car had central locking and I got used to it. The seats are a bit more like old-fashioned bucket seats, and I would prefer better lumbar support. There is one airbag.