Used 1997 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Finally giving up the ghost
By frata

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car from my sister when it had 95,000 miles one it. Now it has 130,000. It is the "fancy" model with power windows, power locks, keyless entry, alarm, power mirrors etc. Until now it has been absolutely reliable with no problems whatsoever. Recently the service engine soon light came on and I took it to the shop and they replaced the oxygen sensor. This solved the light for about a day until it came on again and the engine started to act like it was trying to cut out. It was a great car but it is not worth putting any money into. I would recommend this car to someone looking for a used car. Make sure it is a low mileage one though, it is an economy car and falls apart with old age, apparently.

Power windows/locks, keyless entry/alarm, power mirrors, rear window defroster. These are things that are not usually found on an economy car of this age.

They don't make the car anymore but the only thing I would change is the stereo, it is beyond terrible.

5 stars...out of 100
By snowdozer

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

This car is a piece of junk. We went through not just one, but two cars: 97 Escort wagon, white. Same problem: the engine seized! Oil level was checked religiously. All preventative maintenance done. Welcome to the Ford family! Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk? Propriety prevents me from properly conveying my complete and heartfelt disgust at this putrid broken-down bucket of bolts. I would love to level both barrels of my indignation at the pinhead engineers that designed this car. Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk? Treat yourself right for once and DON'T buy this money-burning horror show! Not one but TWO cars, both donation material now

I love how the engine seizes up after about 125000 miles. Sweet!

Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk?

Great Little Car
By Rachel

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This little car has been great! It was my mother's car and now mine and we've pretty much run it until it could go no more. I'll be replacing it soon, but it's been super reliable. The only problems I've had have been recent...once it was over 110,000 miles!

I love my color-boysenberry! The gas mileage is also great.

It doesn't have a lot of get-up and go so if you live some place hilly, the acceleration up hills is rather slow.

unbelievably reliable
By Sab

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Escort for 7 years now, and have no complaints. I am a hard driver. I brake hard, drive fast, do a lot of u-turns, and am just plain aggressive, and my car has withstood it all. I've always maintained it well, with regular oil changes, fixed the brakes every few years, but have never had to do any major repairs. I've not rust-proofed it, and it only started to rust a couple of years ago, which I think is good. There seem to be virtually no blind spots either (with the exception of the usual one). I would recommend to anyone that they purchase this car. It would make a great starter car. I'm not parting with mine, unless she finally kicks the bucket.

Color...fantastic fuchsia-like purple. All car manufacturer's should have one exceptional car color. Lack of blind spots. Good pick up for a little engine. Lack of repairs required.

Deeper cup holders.

Sooo Reliable!
By christie

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This Escort is my first and only car I have ever owned, and it has been amazingly reliable. In 6 years, I have only had to get new tires and replace the battery; there have been no major mechanical problems. I paid it off 3 years ago, but will probably drive it for one more year before replacing it.

I like the turning radius - I can get in and out of any tight position with ease. The seats are comfortable, cruise control has been perfect, heating and cooling always worked well too.

Front cup holders are way too small to fit any size cup. My model doesn't have power windows or locks - that would be a nice improvement.