1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
My new escort
By jalange on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Just bought the car three days ago from the dealer. Used to be driven by a little old man in town and the car only had 21,450 miles for a 1997 LX Sport. Looks like showroom new. Read reviews about quality, fuel economy and design and all have been correct, Ford has a great car here. I used to be turned off by Escorts since m-i-l picked me up at airport with a 1985 which died every 10 miles. Ford has really turned it around.

Excellent value for the money
By bgharrison on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I haven't had my Escort very long; bought it used with 57k miles on it. Excellent fuel economy, somewhat comfortable as far as leg room in the front (I'm about 6' with long legs; this is important!). Only with I had cruise control on this one for freeway drives, and pwr locks.

Not bad for 175k miles..
By gLaze on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I picked the car up for 700$ with 175k miles on it. To hold me over till i got a new car. I've driven it every day for about a year, about 50+ miles a day. And after 175k the only things wrong w/ it were wheel bearings needed replacing, and the rear spring was broken. And the tranny is acting up now.. but not TOO bad. All in all a reliable car.

Economy is cheap for a reason
By Loaf on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

The car has some minor problems. The car was just towed away today because it will not start (even after several jump attempts). I had driven the car at 5:30, got back in the car at 6:30, and the engine wouldn't even turn. Thanks ford, you suck again. This is the second escort i have had.

Unexpected
By KC0178 on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 33,000 miles on it, for my 18 year old son to use in central Florida. We put a CD player in it. Apart from oil changes every 5-7,000 miles, a battery, tires, a change of belts @ 57,000, and a $700 rear end repair when a strut gave out, this car has been through 105,000 miles. The A/C still blows cold. The brakes need replacing. I'd say we got our money's worth out of this car. Too bad they don't make them any more.

My Little Escort
By michellethewonderful on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Escort LX for 5 years. I just paid it off and it is still going strong. I enjoy driving the car. The gas mileage is excellent. I'm so attached to my car that when I bought a Ford Mustang in '98, I took it back to the dealership to reclaim my Escort!

Great Short Term - Careful long term
By MightyMet on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car did't give me one problem at all and I never had one item ever break on it and it was never in the shop for anything other then routine maintenance until just recently and it was a big one. The car has 121,000miles and the #1 Piston is hitting the valve and the only solution is total engine replacement. Car was VERY reliable until it hit the 120,000 mark. If the miles are low and the price is right you should go for it as I really enjoyed owning it but once you hit that 100,000 you should be thinking about selling it or trading it in.

keeps on going
By Phil Ford on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I drive 100 miles a day round\trip to work. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles, bought two sets of tires, changed all the belts and hoses at 100,000 miles, and replaced the brakes at the same time. The car has never laid down on me. I have not had to replace so much as a burned out bulb. It's not the hottest car, but it sure has gotten me back and forth quite well for the past four years.

Had enough
By hopping mad on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in brand new in June of 1997. I have had nothing but problems with it. At 18000 miles the drive shaft belt went and crank shaft. Luckily it was still under warrenty. At about 20,000 miles the check coolant lite went on and stay on. So far I have had a new radiator installed, new rear rotators put on and new cv joints which still are not working right. Plus new brakes. As far as I am concern I am ready to trade this car in.

Pleased as usual
By Escort Fan on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Our poor Escort has been through a lot of abuse, unfortunately, so it is reaching a need for premature repairs-- not its fault! We have to put it though apartments without garages, storms, bad roads, rail tracks, highway speeds before warmup, city driving and long trips. It has handled it very well and at nearly 70+K, it is only now having mechanical issues.