1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
barney car
By Ray-Jay on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

This has been a GREAT car. I bought this car with 28,000. Currently still driving it with 189,000. Wow ! I can put on the miles! No compalints from me. Just now did brakes for the first time. Only regular maintence...tune up, timing belt,plugs &wires. No trouble with a/c. I'm a Happy ford owner!! Gas mileage a plus with all my driving. Currently car shopping for a newer car! Wish me luck!!

I love my Ford Excort!!
By Dottie J. on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This is a dependable little car - easy to handle and gets good gas mileage. I have owned three of these cares in a row now, and I have found all of them to be very dependable. Routine maintenance charges are the only costs I have ever encountered in any of them.

Best car I've ever owned.
By lovemyescort on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost 5 years. 5 trouble-free years. Have only replaced tie-rod ends and front brakes. Have put 50k miles on since I bought it. Outstanding reliability. Exceptional fuel mileage. Just change the oil and keep driving it.

Just keeps on going-and going-and going!
By slate stevens on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it new in 1997 for $9999.00 on a weekend sale ad. I thought it was going to be a strippo, but to my suprise it was a "sport model", which included head rests on rear seats, sportier front seats, alloy wheels, spoiler, body colored accents, am-fm casette with 4 speakers, intermitant wipers, chrome tip exhaust, etc. 105,000 miles later, extremely reliable car, just plain won't break! Oil changed every 5,000 miles, replaced front brakes, rear still good! Just make sure you replace that timing belt every 60,000 miles, or it could break and it will damage valves and maybe pistons when it goes.

Crap
By AlisonE on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

this car has done $86,000/miles and is on its 3rd transmision.. inside parts are falling off.. DO NOT buy this car.. more trouble than its worth.. although it did run fine for the first 3 years.. after that it just fell apart. IT was one thing after another..

too bad thy stopped making these
By frozennorth on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

bought new, driven to work everyday , 36 miles each way. Tires, muffler, brakes, thermostat, and alternator replaced. That's it except for gas and oil changes.

I've be happy with my escort
By Shala on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I recieved my escort in high school and to my liking I still have it, six years later. Dipples my escorts name has took me through snow,rain, wind, and sun shine just fine. durning my college years it brought me home to San Diego,Ca and back to Tacoma and Pullman, WA. several time and I had no problems. I'm proud to say I've enjoyed my car and suprized it's prformed so well. Ford did a good job on my car.

quality
By p botich on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

it appears ford used quality parts on these cars. even with high mileage thecar is very healthy and reliable.their just to slow for most drivers.

My new escort
By jalange on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Just bought the car three days ago from the dealer. Used to be driven by a little old man in town and the car only had 21,450 miles for a 1997 LX Sport. Looks like showroom new. Read reviews about quality, fuel economy and design and all have been correct, Ford has a great car here. I used to be turned off by Escorts since m-i-l picked me up at airport with a 1985 which died every 10 miles. Ford has really turned it around.

Excellent value for the money
By bgharrison on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I haven't had my Escort very long; bought it used with 57k miles on it. Excellent fuel economy, somewhat comfortable as far as leg room in the front (I'm about 6' with long legs; this is important!). Only with I had cruise control on this one for freeway drives, and pwr locks.