1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Super flag car
By Terry's flag car on 02/21/05 18:08 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I own a flag car business and escort oversize loads from Pennsylvania up and down the east cost. I went right to Mobile One and Slick Fifty when I bought this car. I average 11,000 miles a month, ha and you think you have a long drive to work. Plenty of power, 40+ miles per gallon at high speeds, fairly comfortable, plenty of room and I'm 6 ft. Great little car. I do use 5 speed's for my work. Automatic transmissions would not hold up to to the pounding we give these little cars. I had a '91 wagon and put 300,000 miles on it. Again, a great little car.

Well spent money
By PizzaGuru on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Best compact car ford ever built! If your looking for a dependable car this is it. I've got 130,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. No major problems ever. Our other car is a Dodge Stratus.....It's always at the repair shop. The Escort will probably outlast me.

Great inexpensive car
By brianl703 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This 1997 Ford Escort has aged pretty well. It drives pretty much as it did when we got it 5 years ago. Gas mileage is good, it handles pretty well (the chassis is much more rigid than previous year Ford Escorts). With 81,000 miles, the engine barely uses 1/3 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 in 4500 miles. The check engine light had been on for a couple of years (with a P1443 trouble code), I finally got around to fixing it by replacing the purge flow solenoid with a $5 wrecking yard part. It turned out the rubber hose had started deteriorating, and the solenoid got clogged with debris.

My lil red car
By NurseNell on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Fun to Drive. Dependable car. Good in snow. Attracts deer lol! Had a deer riding on my hood and windshield.Windshield never broke- mechanically sound vehicle--gas gage stuck on full at 89000 miles--regular oil changes done and replacement of y pipe a year ago. Thinking of trading to Dodge Stratus but will miss my little escort!

Damn Asphalt
By zipzow319 on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My '97 Escort was a fun little car w/just enough character to make me look like I was having fun. The highway miles were impecable, and the city miles weren't bad either. I made an average of two trips to Mn. from K.C. a year, and the car got me there and back w/no problems. Last time in Mn. I hit a piece of construction asphalt on the highway and totaled the car. All in all though, the car did me well and I had to shed a tear when the insurance company took it away from me.

It really is okay...
By Husoni on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

At first I had some issues with look of the vehicle as well as my experience with the dealership, but over the years I trully can not complain. I have backed into poles, other cars, spun out on the free way and still I have not had any injuries or had any repairs required. "it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin..." really. Gas is great as well. It's like my own private bumper car.

A fun car with reliability
By BTA on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Our second car. Fuel efficient and low cost to maintain. Our first Ford and a pleasant surprise. Don't put many miles on it. Reminds me of our dog; always starts up immediately and is ready to go when we are. Used much to drive and leave at airport, and we know that it will start in all weather to get us home.

Escort... possibly the BEST Ford vehicle
By CPL on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

We purchased this vehicle used from a Ford Dealer with about 50K kilometers (30K miles). We still have it. The car is now just under 200,000 kilometers and runs like a charm. Other than the regular maintenance (oil changes, flushes, brakes..etc), we have put in less than $1000 in unusual maintenance over the 5 year period. I would still recommend anyone to purchase the escort used.

can't complain
By Ben Smith on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

i purchased this car from a family member with 105k on it. At that time, the car had never broken down, and ran like a dream (especially w/105k). Every 3k, the oil had been changed and all maintance recommendations were followed. I would average 28+ MPG, even while i was driving like an idiot. After 130k, the transmission begin slipping quite often and fuel economy began to fall off quickly. I can't complain about the cheap parts and quality when an escort makes it to 135k.

Wifes Car
By GJGJ on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Wife Loves the car No costs other than oil changes It is a second car for us which is conveint