Used 1997 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great car
By Aaron

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I'd buy this car again! I have the A/T, A/C, manual windows, man. locks, no cruise. I avg. 30-32 mpg, best road trip 40 mpg (50-55 mph). I use this car to carry some carpentry gear, I've packed it tight w/ lots of tools, carries 10 /8'-0" studs, roof rack can do 200+ lbs lumber, Lumbar stinks, I use a booster lumbar support, drink holders poorly designed, panic button on key fob occasionally annoying. Low maintenance costs, run synthetic oil, snows up front for winter (decent in snow up to 4"). Ford should have made the rear seats removable for cargo & fuel economy. I'm going to install scan guage II for improved mpg, switching back to summer tires, use a K&N air filter.

Driveability, always starts & runs, reliable, cargo capacity, turning/ manueverabilty

Deepen cup holders, panic button unneccessary, make rear seats removeable, make roof rack removeable for reduced air drag when not in use, heated side view mirrors, trunk hatch button & fuel hatch button would be nice

My new car
By Gary Grove

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I like the size and the handling.The gas mileage is great. All maintance was normal. The price fit into budget. I like the color.

I like the size, four passangers and large trunk.

None

Great Utility Vehicle
By Escort Owner

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Have had no major problems other than blowing a head gasket at 130K miles. Fixed that for less than $300 with a box of wrenches and a Haynes manual. Drove crosscountry twice, and was main travel vehicle for years. Have hauled 1000 lbs of concrete in the back. Busted the shocks! 4x8 plywood fits nicely on the luggage rack. This car has carried the mail for me and my family for a long time. We used to joke about it being my sons first car. He was 1 when we got it. In a few years he will be old enough to drive it so it just may be. It's not fancy by any means but peppy for a small car. All in all it's been worth every penny.

My favorite feature of this vehicle was it's ease of maintanence. Light and easy to fit in a garage for routine upkeep and oil changes. Parts are relatively inexpensive. I changed equip. on this vehicle mostly as preventative maintanence. Water pumps, timing belts, cables, and fluids.

I would like the suspension to be upgraded. This car ate tie rod ends for some reason. Also I broke two sets of coil springs on the back of it. Once was my fault for overloading it but the second set I have yet to figure it out.

1997 Ford Escort
By Unice Redd

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I love to drive and this car was a challenge at first, (5 sp) but once I got the hang of it...Had only one mechanical problem, needed a check up. Durable, dependable, great on mileage, low maintenance.

Entire audio system is remarkable, mileage is true for gas in city and open road. Very quiet. Low maintenance.

More leg room is needed in the back

The little car that could! 10 years!
By westcoastcop

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it new, put 160,000 miles on it with only an engine mount and electric cooling fan replaced, and several burned out bulbs. Other than that, routine fluid/filter changes, couple of batteries and one tune up plus some tire replacement and brake pads...thats it! Reliable! Never let me down, never stranded me, never disapointed me! Still looks new, red sports model 4 door, I put a cd player in it when my son was starting to drive it.

Reliability, still looks new and the car itself looks modern even tho it is 10 model years old now. Plain, simple transportation in the same way the Model T was!

Ford has addressed all of the improvements with the current 08 Focus replacement, and the 09 will be a whole new car.