Used 1997 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

My new car
By Gary Grove

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I like the size and the handling.The gas mileage is great. All maintance was normal. The price fit into budget. I like the color.

Favorite Features

I like the size, four passangers and large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great Utility Vehicle
By Escort Owner

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Have had no major problems other than blowing a head gasket at 130K miles. Fixed that for less than $300 with a box of wrenches and a Haynes manual. Drove crosscountry twice, and was main travel vehicle for years. Have hauled 1000 lbs of concrete in the back. Busted the shocks! 4x8 plywood fits nicely on the luggage rack. This car has carried the mail for me and my family for a long time. We used to joke about it being my sons first car. He was 1 when we got it. In a few years he will be old enough to drive it so it just may be. It's not fancy by any means but peppy for a small car. All in all it's been worth every penny.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature of this vehicle was it's ease of maintanence. Light and easy to fit in a garage for routine upkeep and oil changes. Parts are relatively inexpensive. I changed equip. on this vehicle mostly as preventative maintanence. Water pumps, timing belts, cables, and fluids.

Suggested Improvements

I would like the suspension to be upgraded. This car ate tie rod ends for some reason. Also I broke two sets of coil springs on the back of it. Once was my fault for overloading it but the second set I have yet to figure it out.

1997 Ford Escort
By Unice Redd

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I love to drive and this car was a challenge at first, (5 sp) but once I got the hang of it...Had only one mechanical problem, needed a check up. Durable, dependable, great on mileage, low maintenance.

Favorite Features

Entire audio system is remarkable, mileage is true for gas in city and open road. Very quiet. Low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room is needed in the back

The little car that could! 10 years!
By westcoastcop

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it new, put 160,000 miles on it with only an engine mount and electric cooling fan replaced, and several burned out bulbs. Other than that, routine fluid/filter changes, couple of batteries and one tune up plus some tire replacement and brake pads...thats it! Reliable! Never let me down, never stranded me, never disapointed me! Still looks new, red sports model 4 door, I put a cd player in it when my son was starting to drive it.

Favorite Features

Reliability, still looks new and the car itself looks modern even tho it is 10 model years old now. Plain, simple transportation in the same way the Model T was!

Suggested Improvements

Ford has addressed all of the improvements with the current 08 Focus replacement, and the 09 will be a whole new car.

Alright Car
By daf58

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car at 30,000 miles. Has been very good to me, only minor repairs have been needed. Have owned this car for almost 10 years and I am very pleased, I now have close to 180,000 miles and this little Escort is still running strong.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, very reliable

Suggested Improvements

More powerful 4 cylinder engine more interior room