1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Unexpected
By KC0178 on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 33,000 miles on it, for my 18 year old son to use in central Florida. We put a CD player in it. Apart from oil changes every 5-7,000 miles, a battery, tires, a change of belts @ 57,000, and a $700 rear end repair when a strut gave out, this car has been through 105,000 miles. The A/C still blows cold. The brakes need replacing. I'd say we got our money's worth out of this car. Too bad they don't make them any more.

My Little Escort
By michellethewonderful on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Escort LX for 5 years. I just paid it off and it is still going strong. I enjoy driving the car. The gas mileage is excellent. I'm so attached to my car that when I bought a Ford Mustang in '98, I took it back to the dealership to reclaim my Escort!

Great Short Term - Careful long term
By MightyMet on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car did't give me one problem at all and I never had one item ever break on it and it was never in the shop for anything other then routine maintenance until just recently and it was a big one. The car has 121,000miles and the #1 Piston is hitting the valve and the only solution is total engine replacement. Car was VERY reliable until it hit the 120,000 mark. If the miles are low and the price is right you should go for it as I really enjoyed owning it but once you hit that 100,000 you should be thinking about selling it or trading it in.

keeps on going
By Phil Ford on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I drive 100 miles a day round\trip to work. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles, bought two sets of tires, changed all the belts and hoses at 100,000 miles, and replaced the brakes at the same time. The car has never laid down on me. I have not had to replace so much as a burned out bulb. It's not the hottest car, but it sure has gotten me back and forth quite well for the past four years.

Had enough
By hopping mad on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in brand new in June of 1997. I have had nothing but problems with it. At 18000 miles the drive shaft belt went and crank shaft. Luckily it was still under warrenty. At about 20,000 miles the check coolant lite went on and stay on. So far I have had a new radiator installed, new rear rotators put on and new cv joints which still are not working right. Plus new brakes. As far as I am concern I am ready to trade this car in.

Pleased as usual
By Escort Fan on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Our poor Escort has been through a lot of abuse, unfortunately, so it is reaching a need for premature repairs-- not its fault! We have to put it though apartments without garages, storms, bad roads, rail tracks, highway speeds before warmup, city driving and long trips. It has handled it very well and at nearly 70+K, it is only now having mechanical issues.

It keeps running and running and running
By Thatch on 09/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I am amazed at the engine. I have 112000 miles and change oil every 3000 miles. It has never needed a quart and is still relatively clean when I change it. Good gas mileage 30 to 33 on the road.

1997 Escort
By Dueffert on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable, great gas mileage (about 34mpg. Easy to replace parts.

1997F0RD ESCORT
By CALEB on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I BOUGHT MY 97 ESCORT WITH 2100 MILES ON IT.IT HAS BEEN SUPER DEPENDABLE.HAD A CRANK PULLEY GO BAD AN A SENSOR ON THE GAS TANK .EACH WAS BITEY TO GET FIXED.THE FUEL SENSOR MIGHT HAVE BEEN MY FAULT IN THAT I HABITUALLY ADDED MORE GAS AFTER THE AUTOMATIC SHUT OFF.IF SO IT WAS A 3 HUNDRED DOLLAR LESSON. IT COULD EASILY USE MORE COMFORTABLE SEATS.ITS RESPONSIVE, STYLISH ECONOMICAL AND HIGHLY DEPENDABLE.ITS EASY TO USE AND EASY TO OWN!I THINK MY 8000 DOLLARS WAS WELL SPENT

Great Car
By bark on 03/15/02 17:16 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I would have to rate my 97 Escort as execellent. It has racked up around 85000 trouble free miles. This particular Escort has a manual tranmission and gets around 30/36 mpg. The only drawback I can think of is related to the manual transmission. The manual tranny is a real hassle during rush hour traffic, stop go.