Used 1997 Ford Escort LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Sooo Reliable!
By christie

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This Escort is my first and only car I have ever owned, and it has been amazingly reliable. In 6 years, I have only had to get new tires and replace the battery; there have been no major mechanical problems. I paid it off 3 years ago, but will probably drive it for one more year before replacing it.

I like the turning radius - I can get in and out of any tight position with ease. The seats are comfortable, cruise control has been perfect, heating and cooling always worked well too.

Front cup holders are way too small to fit any size cup. My model doesn't have power windows or locks - that would be a nice improvement.

It has served me well!
By kaisharif

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car in college and it has served me well. Very reliable, very good on gas. Minimal upkeep, just standard maintenance. Just made my last payment and plan on keeping it until it falls apart.

I love driving a 5 speed and it's actually a little peppy!

Cup holder is waaaayyyy to shallow. I can't count how many times I've spilled a drink!

great car, bad seller
By worldgirlorbit

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy my Escort, except for one thing. The oil system. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, but I have had so many problems with the pump, the sender unit, the filter. I've had three oil changes in the past two months alone, and I've only driven it a few times. Other than that I have had no problems.

Size and look of the car, it perfect for driving to the beach with my dog and some friends.

Make the engine compartment more accessible to home mechanics. This would cut down on the time it takes to fix it!

My kids hate this car! Mom loves it!
By LKB

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been very very loyal to me. Great gas mileage and very few repairs. I have driven it for 6.5 years and it has proven to be very reliable. It's not a pretty car; my kids don't want to be seen in it. I told them they'll be begging my to drive it when they get their licenses; I would have done backflips at 16 if this was my car. But I won't review the cars I had to drive with the rusted floorboards. It is great for a small person with 1 or 2 kids; nothing fancy and you do get plenty of road noise -- so turn up the radio!

Awesome gas mileage; about 30 MPG. My LS does have power windows & doors, so if you close your eyes, you COULD be in a nicer car.

Cup holders in front console are way too shallow to hold any cup of any size; good for change though. There is a middle holder that is a little deeper. Emergency brake is really touchy; its pretty close to the gear shift and if you are not careful, you'll engage it.

Can't Go Wrong With This Car
By Michael

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been a perfect car for me, it has about 165,000 miles on it today. All I have ever had to do with this car is brakes, tires, oil, belts and an air filter. This car does have an automatic transmission and it has the original. I have had it flushed a couple of times with the filter replaced but never anything more. If you treat these cars well, they will last a very long time without problems. I have owned several cars over the years, and most of which I have had to put a new transmission and/or service the air conditioner by 150,000 thousand miles. But this car has been the exception. I am very happy with this vehicle for a 2nd car!! Buy yours today!

A bigger engine would have been nice, and the stock stereo could use a little more bass.