Used 1997 Ford Escort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort Sedan

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

The little red car that could!
By pickleman

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and paid only $10,000! This car has paid for itself so many times over, I ought to build a shrine to it! This is the 4 door sedan, the LX sport. It came with special sport seats with rear headrests and different fabric than the base model, plus a better radio, a wing on the trunk, nicer alloy wheels, spoiler, etc. 170,000 miles with only wear and tear items replaced (belts, engine mount, catalytic converter) the front head light lenses fogged over and replaced, several sets of tires and brakes and oil changes pretty much it!

Favorite Features

So darn reliable, but a great car, too. My son is now driving it, and it's getting more abuse than I used to give it, but it still runs great! Good example of a perfect transportation car! The blue book now lists the true value at $1700.00, which is sad, but there's still a lot of life in her!

Suggested Improvements

All the improvements were addressed when Ford ended the Escort run and started the Ford Focus production.

The Best Escort they ever made
By HELLO

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have a metalic green (love the color) 1997 Ford Escort LX and it has been the best investment I have ever made. I have owned this car over 11 1/2 years and have had only small issues with the vehicle outside the routine maintanance up until recently 145,000 miles(starting to burn oil). First of all; the cup holders were to shallow to hold big cups which triggered spilled drinks if making quick turns. The rear stock springs cracked shortly after I had the car but drove it for 9 years anyway. The front tie rods are a stress point which wear out quick if you do a lot of quick radius turning. I guess I can't complain about 40,000 miles when the replacement parts are less than $100.00.

Favorite Features

Ice cold air conditioning in summer and warm air in winter. My 5 speed handles like a sports car for an econobox with 30+ mpg around town. I have never had any mechanical or electical issues with my Ford Escort beside routine mantanance changing battery, spark plugs, oil changes.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the next generation Ford Escort ASAP or you might not have a repeat customer. The replacement Focus was ok but too boxy and not as sleek or economical as the Escort. Better lumbar support in the seats and no cheesy plastic on the doors. How about a hybrid Escort or plug in Escort.

My new car
By Gary Grove

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I like the size and the handling.The gas mileage is great. All maintance was normal. The price fit into budget. I like the color.

Favorite Features

I like the size, four passangers and large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

None

1997 Ford Escort
By Unice Redd

1997 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love to drive and this car was a challenge at first, (5 sp) but once I got the hang of it...Had only one mechanical problem, needed a check up. Durable, dependable, great on mileage, low maintenance.

Favorite Features

Entire audio system is remarkable, mileage is true for gas in city and open road. Very quiet. Low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room is needed in the back

The little car that could! 10 years!
By westcoastcop

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it new, put 160,000 miles on it with only an engine mount and electric cooling fan replaced, and several burned out bulbs. Other than that, routine fluid/filter changes, couple of batteries and one tune up plus some tire replacement and brake pads...thats it! Reliable! Never let me down, never stranded me, never disapointed me! Still looks new, red sports model 4 door, I put a cd player in it when my son was starting to drive it.

Favorite Features

Reliability, still looks new and the car itself looks modern even tho it is 10 model years old now. Plain, simple transportation in the same way the Model T was!

Suggested Improvements

Ford has addressed all of the improvements with the current 08 Focus replacement, and the 09 will be a whole new car.