1997 Ford Escort Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
A working man's (women's) car
By Fordy Something on 09/13/05 21:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought 2 brand new escorts, manual trans, the same exact day. At the time, I traveled over 750 miles a week. I swapped every other week attempting to have the cars outlast the loans. After 8 years and 330000 total miles on these 2 cars I can only say it was one of the better decisions I've made. Only major repair was the radiators on both failed the same week within a 1000 mi. of each other at about 100000 miles. That's it, aside from regularly scheduled maintenance. Unfortunately, the one with 150000 on it got rearended and the other with 180000 is getting tired. I'll miss them both. I suppose I'll never get this lucky again when it comes to purchasing a car.

Can't Go Wrong With This Car
By Michael on 06/10/05 03:36 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been a perfect car for me, it has about 165,000 miles on it today. All I have ever had to do with this car is brakes, tires, oil, belts and an air filter. This car does have an automatic transmission and it has the original. I have had it flushed a couple of times with the filter replaced but never anything more. If you treat these cars well, they will last a very long time without problems. I have owned several cars over the years, and most of which I have had to put a new transmission and/or service the air conditioner by 150,000 thousand miles. But this car has been the exception. I am very happy with this vehicle for a 2nd car!! Buy yours today!

Best Buy for the Money!
By EscortLover4-Ever on 05/16/05 13:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new, after giving up my '88 Escort with 216,000 miles on it. This car currently has over 220,000 miles on it and I'm going for at least another 30,000! The car has been very dependable. Have spent maybe $2,000 on total repairs (other than maintanance) in 8 years. Still get great mileage on the highway (checked last week and got 36 mpg). They'll have to peel me out of this one before I give it up. I'm just sad that Ford did away with the Escort - can't beat the value and the performance!

Great First Car
By futuremarine16a2 on 04/18/05 22:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Good little car. I was more interested in something with a big engine v6 or v8 but my parents made me test drive this one and as soon as I pulled back into the dealership I looked right at my mom and told her to sign for it. Good gas mileage.

Reliable but cheap
By kris on 03/30/05 12:40 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We have had this car now for three years. It is reliable and easy to fix ourselves when it breaks down. It accelerates fairly nicely and the steering is nice and easy. The ride is rough; you really feel every bump and sometimes it feels like we are riding inside of a bouncing ball. The interior quality is lacking, but it was never meant to be a top of the line car. The seats are uncomfortable for long drives.

American-made reliability!
By Eric on 03/01/05 09:29 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Absolutely reliable. Not the most quiet or refined automobile in its class, but VERY cheap to fix and maintain. The perfect utility-type vehicle for work/students/grocery chasing. Excellent mileage. The standard for dependability! This is my third Escort. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Well spent money
By PizzaGuru on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Best compact car ford ever built! If your looking for a dependable car this is it. I've got 130,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. No major problems ever. Our other car is a Dodge Stratus.....It's always at the repair shop. The Escort will probably outlast me.

Great inexpensive car
By brianl703 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This 1997 Ford Escort has aged pretty well. It drives pretty much as it did when we got it 5 years ago. Gas mileage is good, it handles pretty well (the chassis is much more rigid than previous year Ford Escorts). With 81,000 miles, the engine barely uses 1/3 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 in 4500 miles. The check engine light had been on for a couple of years (with a P1443 trouble code), I finally got around to fixing it by replacing the purge flow solenoid with a $5 wrecking yard part. It turned out the rubber hose had started deteriorating, and the solenoid got clogged with debris.

My lil red car
By NurseNell on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Fun to Drive. Dependable car. Good in snow. Attracts deer lol! Had a deer riding on my hood and windshield.Windshield never broke- mechanically sound vehicle--gas gage stuck on full at 89000 miles--regular oil changes done and replacement of y pipe a year ago. Thinking of trading to Dodge Stratus but will miss my little escort!

Damn Asphalt
By zipzow319 on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My '97 Escort was a fun little car w/just enough character to make me look like I was having fun. The highway miles were impecable, and the city miles weren't bad either. I made an average of two trips to Mn. from K.C. a year, and the car got me there and back w/no problems. Last time in Mn. I hit a piece of construction asphalt on the highway and totaled the car. All in all though, the car did me well and I had to shed a tear when the insurance company took it away from me.