1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Damn Asphalt
By zipzow319 on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

My '97 Escort was a fun little car w/just enough character to make me look like I was having fun. The highway miles were impecable, and the city miles weren't bad either. I made an average of two trips to Mn. from K.C. a year, and the car got me there and back w/no problems. Last time in Mn. I hit a piece of construction asphalt on the highway and totaled the car. All in all though, the car did me well and I had to shed a tear when the insurance company took it away from me.

A fun car with reliability
By BTA on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Our second car. Fuel efficient and low cost to maintain. Our first Ford and a pleasant surprise. Don't put many miles on it. Reminds me of our dog; always starts up immediately and is ready to go when we are. Used much to drive and leave at airport, and we know that it will start in all weather to get us home.

Escort... possibly the BEST Ford vehicle
By CPL on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

We purchased this vehicle used from a Ford Dealer with about 50K kilometers (30K miles). We still have it. The car is now just under 200,000 kilometers and runs like a charm. Other than the regular maintenance (oil changes, flushes, brakes..etc), we have put in less than $1000 in unusual maintenance over the 5 year period. I would still recommend anyone to purchase the escort used.

Wifes Car
By GJGJ on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Wife Loves the car No costs other than oil changes It is a second car for us which is conveint

I love my Ford Excort!!
By Dottie J. on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This is a dependable little car - easy to handle and gets good gas mileage. I have owned three of these cares in a row now, and I have found all of them to be very dependable. Routine maintenance charges are the only costs I have ever encountered in any of them.

Just keeps on going-and going-and going!
By slate stevens on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it new in 1997 for $9999.00 on a weekend sale ad. I thought it was going to be a strippo, but to my suprise it was a "sport model", which included head rests on rear seats, sportier front seats, alloy wheels, spoiler, body colored accents, am-fm casette with 4 speakers, intermitant wipers, chrome tip exhaust, etc. 105,000 miles later, extremely reliable car, just plain won't break! Oil changed every 5,000 miles, replaced front brakes, rear still good! Just make sure you replace that timing belt every 60,000 miles, or it could break and it will damage valves and maybe pistons when it goes.

Crap
By AlisonE on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

this car has done $86,000/miles and is on its 3rd transmision.. inside parts are falling off.. DO NOT buy this car.. more trouble than its worth.. although it did run fine for the first 3 years.. after that it just fell apart. IT was one thing after another..

I've be happy with my escort
By Shala on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I recieved my escort in high school and to my liking I still have it, six years later. Dipples my escorts name has took me through snow,rain, wind, and sun shine just fine. durning my college years it brought me home to San Diego,Ca and back to Tacoma and Pullman, WA. several time and I had no problems. I'm proud to say I've enjoyed my car and suprized it's prformed so well. Ford did a good job on my car.

My new escort
By jalange on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Just bought the car three days ago from the dealer. Used to be driven by a little old man in town and the car only had 21,450 miles for a 1997 LX Sport. Looks like showroom new. Read reviews about quality, fuel economy and design and all have been correct, Ford has a great car here. I used to be turned off by Escorts since m-i-l picked me up at airport with a 1985 which died every 10 miles. Ford has really turned it around.

Unexpected
By KC0178 on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 33,000 miles on it, for my 18 year old son to use in central Florida. We put a CD player in it. Apart from oil changes every 5-7,000 miles, a battery, tires, a change of belts @ 57,000, and a $700 rear end repair when a strut gave out, this car has been through 105,000 miles. The A/C still blows cold. The brakes need replacing. I'd say we got our money's worth out of this car. Too bad they don't make them any more.