1997 Ford Escort Wagon - Consumer Reviews

LX 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (23 reviews )
Takes a Lickin'
By CA_Kid on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Bought new, now have over 100K on it and it still runs great. Body and paint job are outstanding and the engine is extremely durable. Like most 4 cyl. cars, some power is lost when turning on the A/C, but it sure comes out cool! Windshield seems to have a design flaw, the padding keeps coming out. Otherwise I couldn't be happier with this little commuter car.

Should Have Been Recalled
By gtrbernie on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I purchased my Escort in 2000 with 13,000 miles on it. After 19,000 miles of light duty, I was told that I needed new rear coil springs. I spoke to several people that owned the same vehicle, and several mechanics (including the service manager at my local Ford dealership), and was told that this is a common problem that Ford is aware of, but not footing the bill for. Otherwise, a reliable, but not very interesting, econobox. Total lack of ergonomic ingenuity.

Nice economy vehicle with lots of option
By Band Man on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

We bought the Escort Wagon in June of '97. Only one visit to the shop since then for a mechanical problem, and that was to replace a failed emission control part (after 3-year/36,000 mile warranty expired, of course - our cost was $175.00). During a brake job at 43,000 or so we had to replace the front rotors - they were too thin to turn. The car is fun to drive, but not exceptionally quiet. The stereo AM-FM cassette is pretty good, and the options available are great. Our Escort is loaded - every option but a CD player. I use the cruise control daily!