Used 1997 Ford Escort Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort Wagon

LX 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (23 reviews )

Good basic car
By Godboldm

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I got this car after graduating college. Basically because I wanted an economical car that could move stuff. The Escort wagon seemed like the perfect choice. I was really impressed by how well it starts in cold weather conditions. With a new battery, it has started up great, even with a windchill of -30. The cold did take a toll on the interior, one of the rear locks (the thing that sicks up) snapped off. I guess it got really brittle in the cold. So be careful! It is a bit sluggish, but what can you expect from a basic economy car? It has delivered what I expected. So far, I cannot complain.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, roof rack, cargo room, maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, interior components, lower back support, noisy cabin.

5 stars...out of 100
By snowdozer

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car is a piece of junk. We went through not just one, but two cars: 97 Escort wagon, white. Same problem: the engine seized! Oil level was checked religiously. All preventative maintenance done. Welcome to the Ford family! Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk? Propriety prevents me from properly conveying my complete and heartfelt disgust at this putrid broken-down bucket of bolts. I would love to level both barrels of my indignation at the pinhead engineers that designed this car. Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk? Treat yourself right for once and DON'T buy this money-burning horror show! Not one but TWO cars, both donation material now

Favorite Features

I love how the engine seizes up after about 125000 miles. Sweet!

Suggested Improvements

Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk?

Gets me and my stuff from point A to B
By kfhoz

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this little station wagon about 4 years ago. I was looking at Subaru's because that is what I had owned before, and my husband has one but this one was much cheaper. It has worked just fine the whole time! The engine revs lots lower than the Subaru at highway speeds, so it gets lots better mileage. This car has worked for me as well as the Toyota Camry I drove for 5 years. It has not needed any fancy mechanical work, gets great mileage, and I don't worry about it. I carry kayaks on top, and camping gear inside, and have moved a portable dishwasher with no problem.

Favorite Features

I love the big buttons on the radio/cassette player. My old Toyota had itty bitty little buttons that were hard to operate while keeping your eyes on the road. The split-seats in the back, so you can get your skis inside, along with 3 passengers has been very nice. Has airbag.

Suggested Improvements

My least favorite feature on this car is the lack of central locking - and that is only because my previous car had central locking and I got used to it. The seats are a bit more like old-fashioned bucket seats, and I would prefer better lumbar support. There is one airbag.

LUV my Escort Wagon
By LUV my Escort

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I live in Colorado & all these people move in from warmer climates & just have to buy their SUV's to get around in the snow. We only had 1 three foot blizzard in which it was impossible for anyone to get out. I also had to replace the rear springs & was shocked to learn they were broke. Apparently a common problem. Otherwise, this car has been extremely reliable & anyone who thinks that Ford doesn't build a good product should think again!

Favorite Features

Cruise control & air conditioning.

Suggested Improvements

Seat heaters!

Great car!
By Brian

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

For the last year or so this car sat still going no where. It took nothing at all to get it going again. We slapped some new tires on and changed the spark plugs and she was ready! Thats says a lot about the dependability of this car. I haven't had any problems with it at all aside from the norm for its age.

Favorite Features

Just the dependability. My car is bone stock nothing. No power windows or any thing! Well ... power steering. No a/c! Still love it!

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are WORTHLESS! I can't tell you how many drinks have fallen over. Why build a car with no a/c? :)