Used 1997 Ford Escort LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

LX Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Sooo Reliable!
By christie on 04/29/06 01:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This Escort is my first and only car I have ever owned, and it has been amazingly reliable. In 6 years, I have only had to get new tires and replace the battery; there have been no major mechanical problems. I paid it off 3 years ago, but will probably drive it for one more year before replacing it.

It has served me well!
By kaisharif on 12/13/05 13:11 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car in college and it has served me well. Very reliable, very good on gas. Minimal upkeep, just standard maintenance. Just made my last payment and plan on keeping it until it falls apart.

great car, bad seller
By worldgirlorbit on 11/12/05 12:10 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy my Escort, except for one thing. The oil system. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, but I have had so many problems with the pump, the sender unit, the filter. I've had three oil changes in the past two months alone, and I've only driven it a few times. Other than that I have had no problems.

My kids hate this car! Mom loves it!
By LKB on 10/20/05 10:28 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been very very loyal to me. Great gas mileage and very few repairs. I have driven it for 6.5 years and it has proven to be very reliable. It's not a pretty car; my kids don't want to be seen in it. I told them they'll be begging my to drive it when they get their licenses; I would have done backflips at 16 if this was my car. But I won't review the cars I had to drive with the rusted floorboards. It is great for a small person with 1 or 2 kids; nothing fancy and you do get plenty of road noise -- so turn up the radio!

Can't Go Wrong With This Car
By Michael on 06/10/05 03:36 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been a perfect car for me, it has about 165,000 miles on it today. All I have ever had to do with this car is brakes, tires, oil, belts and an air filter. This car does have an automatic transmission and it has the original. I have had it flushed a couple of times with the filter replaced but never anything more. If you treat these cars well, they will last a very long time without problems. I have owned several cars over the years, and most of which I have had to put a new transmission and/or service the air conditioner by 150,000 thousand miles. But this car has been the exception. I am very happy with this vehicle for a 2nd car!! Buy yours today!

Great First Car
By futuremarine16a2 on 04/18/05 22:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Good little car. I was more interested in something with a big engine v6 or v8 but my parents made me test drive this one and as soon as I pulled back into the dealership I looked right at my mom and told her to sign for it. Good gas mileage.

Reliable but cheap
By kris on 03/30/05 12:40 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

We have had this car now for three years. It is reliable and easy to fix ourselves when it breaks down. It accelerates fairly nicely and the steering is nice and easy. The ride is rough; you really feel every bump and sometimes it feels like we are riding inside of a bouncing ball. The interior quality is lacking, but it was never meant to be a top of the line car. The seats are uncomfortable for long drives.

American-made reliability!
By Eric on 03/01/05 09:29 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Absolutely reliable. Not the most quiet or refined automobile in its class, but VERY cheap to fix and maintain. The perfect utility-type vehicle for work/students/grocery chasing. Excellent mileage. The standard for dependability! This is my third Escort. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Well spent money
By PizzaGuru on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Best compact car ford ever built! If your looking for a dependable car this is it. I've got 130,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. No major problems ever. Our other car is a Dodge Stratus.....It's always at the repair shop. The Escort will probably outlast me.

Great inexpensive car
By brianl703 on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This 1997 Ford Escort has aged pretty well. It drives pretty much as it did when we got it 5 years ago. Gas mileage is good, it handles pretty well (the chassis is much more rigid than previous year Ford Escorts). With 81,000 miles, the engine barely uses 1/3 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 in 4500 miles. The check engine light had been on for a couple of years (with a P1443 trouble code), I finally got around to fixing it by replacing the purge flow solenoid with a $5 wrecking yard part. It turned out the rubber hose had started deteriorating, and the solenoid got clogged with debris.