1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Modern version of the Model T!
By Just keeps going! on 06/19/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

In 1903 Ford started off building reliable, easy to drive, inexpensive to buy, and reliable cars...the Model A. The Ford Escort and newer Ford Focus prove that Ford never lost sight of their heritage! (except briefly with the Pinto!) We bought this 1997 Escort new off the lot in 1996, when they first came out with the new generation Escort. It was improved in every way over the older Escort that I traded in. 150,000 miles later, I can honestly say that it beat every Honda and Toyota I ever owned, dating back to 1971! Reliable to a fault, great mileage, durability, easy to drive. Just about the perfect transportation car.

Great Mileage
By madhatter on 05/20/08 16:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this with 30,000 miles. Last year she rolled 210,000 and just flat died. I looked around for a replacement, but couldn't find anything that was even close to a match for comfort, mileage and room. I commute daily and need carrying room. I opted for another engine. It took a bit to get the bugs worked out, but now I am super happy with it. My mileage ranges anywhere from 30-33 depending upon the weather. I use this in the most adverse conditions daily. It has been through -30 temperatures and 70 mph winds, closed roads and snow so deep you were plowing with the bumper. I just can't match this one for a commuter car - my workhorse!

The little red car that could!
By pickleman on 05/15/08 15:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and paid only $10,000! This car has paid for itself so many times over, I ought to build a shrine to it! This is the 4 door sedan, the LX sport. It came with special sport seats with rear headrests and different fabric than the base model, plus a better radio, a wing on the trunk, nicer alloy wheels, spoiler, etc. 170,000 miles with only wear and tear items replaced (belts, engine mount, catalytic converter) the front head light lenses fogged over and replaced, several sets of tires and brakes and oil changes pretty much it!

The Best Escort they ever made
By HELLO on 03/18/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I have a metalic green (love the color) 1997 Ford Escort LX and it has been the best investment I have ever made. I have owned this car over 11 1/2 years and have had only small issues with the vehicle outside the routine maintanance up until recently 145,000 miles(starting to burn oil). First of all; the cup holders were to shallow to hold big cups which triggered spilled drinks if making quick turns. The rear stock springs cracked shortly after I had the car but drove it for 9 years anyway. The front tie rods are a stress point which wear out quick if you do a lot of quick radius turning. I guess I can't complain about 40,000 miles when the replacement parts are less than $100.00.

Great car
By Aaron on 03/16/08 09:52 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I'd buy this car again! I have the A/T, A/C, manual windows, man. locks, no cruise. I avg. 30-32 mpg, best road trip 40 mpg (50-55 mph). I use this car to carry some carpentry gear, I've packed it tight w/ lots of tools, carries 10 /8'-0" studs, roof rack can do 200+ lbs lumber, Lumbar stinks, I use a booster lumbar support, drink holders poorly designed, panic button on key fob occasionally annoying. Low maintenance costs, run synthetic oil, snows up front for winter (decent in snow up to 4"). Ford should have made the rear seats removable for cargo & fuel economy. I'm going to install scan guage II for improved mpg, switching back to summer tires, use a K&N air filter.

My new car
By Gary Grove on 01/24/08 07:21 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I like the size and the handling.The gas mileage is great. All maintance was normal. The price fit into budget. I like the color.

Great Utility Vehicle
By Escort Owner on 01/22/08 06:50 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Have had no major problems other than blowing a head gasket at 130K miles. Fixed that for less than $300 with a box of wrenches and a Haynes manual. Drove crosscountry twice, and was main travel vehicle for years. Have hauled 1000 lbs of concrete in the back. Busted the shocks! 4x8 plywood fits nicely on the luggage rack. This car has carried the mail for me and my family for a long time. We used to joke about it being my sons first car. He was 1 when we got it. In a few years he will be old enough to drive it so it just may be. It's not fancy by any means but peppy for a small car. All in all it's been worth every penny.

1997 Ford Escort
By Unice Redd on 01/10/08 22:25 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I love to drive and this car was a challenge at first, (5 sp) but once I got the hang of it...Had only one mechanical problem, needed a check up. Durable, dependable, great on mileage, low maintenance.

The little car that could! 10 years!
By westcoastcop on 12/14/07 15:07 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it new, put 160,000 miles on it with only an engine mount and electric cooling fan replaced, and several burned out bulbs. Other than that, routine fluid/filter changes, couple of batteries and one tune up plus some tire replacement and brake pads...thats it! Reliable! Never let me down, never stranded me, never disapointed me! Still looks new, red sports model 4 door, I put a cd player in it when my son was starting to drive it.

Alright Car
By daf58 on 08/08/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car at 30,000 miles. Has been very good to me, only minor repairs have been needed. Have owned this car for almost 10 years and I am very pleased, I now have close to 180,000 miles and this little Escort is still running strong.