1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Good basic car
By Godboldm on 03/02/07 12:15 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I got this car after graduating college. Basically because I wanted an economical car that could move stuff. The Escort wagon seemed like the perfect choice. I was really impressed by how well it starts in cold weather conditions. With a new battery, it has started up great, even with a windchill of -30. The cold did take a toll on the interior, one of the rear locks (the thing that sicks up) snapped off. I guess it got really brittle in the cold. So be careful! It is a bit sluggish, but what can you expect from a basic economy car? It has delivered what I expected. So far, I cannot complain.

5 stars...out of 100
By snowdozer on 11/03/06 14:59 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

This car is a piece of junk. We went through not just one, but two cars: 97 Escort wagon, white. Same problem: the engine seized! Oil level was checked religiously. All preventative maintenance done. Welcome to the Ford family! Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk? Propriety prevents me from properly conveying my complete and heartfelt disgust at this putrid broken-down bucket of bolts. I would love to level both barrels of my indignation at the pinhead engineers that designed this car. Have I mentioned that this car is a piece of junk? Treat yourself right for once and DON'T buy this money-burning horror show! Not one but TWO cars, both donation material now

Gets me and my stuff from point A to B
By kfhoz on 02/25/06 15:10 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this little station wagon about 4 years ago. I was looking at Subaru's because that is what I had owned before, and my husband has one but this one was much cheaper. It has worked just fine the whole time! The engine revs lots lower than the Subaru at highway speeds, so it gets lots better mileage. This car has worked for me as well as the Toyota Camry I drove for 5 years. It has not needed any fancy mechanical work, gets great mileage, and I don't worry about it. I carry kayaks on top, and camping gear inside, and have moved a portable dishwasher with no problem.

LUV my Escort Wagon
By LUV my Escort on 02/23/06 19:48 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I live in Colorado & all these people move in from warmer climates & just have to buy their SUV's to get around in the snow. We only had 1 three foot blizzard in which it was impossible for anyone to get out. I also had to replace the rear springs & was shocked to learn they were broke. Apparently a common problem. Otherwise, this car has been extremely reliable & anyone who thinks that Ford doesn't build a good product should think again!

Great car!
By Brian on 06/24/05 04:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

For the last year or so this car sat still going no where. It took nothing at all to get it going again. We slapped some new tires on and changed the spark plugs and she was ready! Thats says a lot about the dependability of this car. I haven't had any problems with it at all aside from the norm for its age.

A good little car.
By FlyByPC on 03/16/05 12:41 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Although a big step down in size for me, (from a Chevy G20 van, and a Mercury Colony Park wagon which I really miss), the Escort has been a good little car, so far. OK (but not outstanding) economy, good reliability, and acceptable performance. From the reviews, I hear the '97 is significantly more responsive than the '96. I would hate to drive the '96 model, as I find the '97 performance acceptable, but far from impressive. As a fairly big guy (6', 240lb), I was surprised how much room there is up front. It holds quite a bit of cargo, too. The lack of cruise, power locks and windows is quaint, but at least it has A/C! The one truly BAD feature is the USELESS front cupholder. (See below).

Super flag car
By Terry's flag car on 02/21/05 18:08 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I own a flag car business and escort oversize loads from Pennsylvania up and down the east cost. I went right to Mobile One and Slick Fifty when I bought this car. I average 11,000 miles a month, ha and you think you have a long drive to work. Plenty of power, 40+ miles per gallon at high speeds, fairly comfortable, plenty of room and I'm 6 ft. Great little car. I do use 5 speed's for my work. Automatic transmissions would not hold up to to the pounding we give these little cars. I had a '91 wagon and put 300,000 miles on it. Again, a great little car.

too bad thy stopped making these
By frozennorth on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

bought new, driven to work everyday , 36 miles each way. Tires, muffler, brakes, thermostat, and alternator replaced. That's it except for gas and oil changes.

quality
By p botich on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

it appears ford used quality parts on these cars. even with high mileage thecar is very healthy and reliable.their just to slow for most drivers.

Great car
By 1997escortlover on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

We have owned ford escorts for over 20 years 1981-2001 this car was dependable. it was able to take a beating. We will miss it. we traded this one in 2001. We had over 100k miles and the clutch was on the way out,so was the starter,computer,timing belt, and cv joint