1997 Ford Escort 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews 2

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

LX Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Great Little Car!
By mcaldwell on 01/24/09 19:16 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car brand new in 1996 when I was just four years old. This car has never failed to get us where we need to go! We even took it up to Canada one summer and it drove superbly! The gas mileage is a definite plus, however now that I'm no longer my little four-year-old self, and am 6ft tall, the back seat is extremely tough to get into. It's now our secondary car and we almost never put the whole family in it. I share it with my mom and it is a great, easy, reliable car with just enough get up and go to get me out of trouble and keep me out of it! The clutch is amazing; it's lasted over 106,000 miles and it's still like new! The only comlaint is a loss of power with the AC on.

Modern version of the Model T!
By Just keeps going! on 06/19/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

In 1903 Ford started off building reliable, easy to drive, inexpensive to buy, and reliable cars...the Model A. The Ford Escort and newer Ford Focus prove that Ford never lost sight of their heritage! (except briefly with the Pinto!) We bought this 1997 Escort new off the lot in 1996, when they first came out with the new generation Escort. It was improved in every way over the older Escort that I traded in. 150,000 miles later, I can honestly say that it beat every Honda and Toyota I ever owned, dating back to 1971! Reliable to a fault, great mileage, durability, easy to drive. Just about the perfect transportation car.

The little red car that could!
By pickleman on 05/15/08 15:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and paid only $10,000! This car has paid for itself so many times over, I ought to build a shrine to it! This is the 4 door sedan, the LX sport. It came with special sport seats with rear headrests and different fabric than the base model, plus a better radio, a wing on the trunk, nicer alloy wheels, spoiler, etc. 170,000 miles with only wear and tear items replaced (belts, engine mount, catalytic converter) the front head light lenses fogged over and replaced, several sets of tires and brakes and oil changes pretty much it!

The Best Escort they ever made
By HELLO on 03/18/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I have a metalic green (love the color) 1997 Ford Escort LX and it has been the best investment I have ever made. I have owned this car over 11 1/2 years and have had only small issues with the vehicle outside the routine maintanance up until recently 145,000 miles(starting to burn oil). First of all; the cup holders were to shallow to hold big cups which triggered spilled drinks if making quick turns. The rear stock springs cracked shortly after I had the car but drove it for 9 years anyway. The front tie rods are a stress point which wear out quick if you do a lot of quick radius turning. I guess I can't complain about 40,000 miles when the replacement parts are less than $100.00.

My new car
By Gary Grove on 01/24/08 07:21 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I like the size and the handling.The gas mileage is great. All maintance was normal. The price fit into budget. I like the color.

The little car that could! 10 years!
By westcoastcop on 12/14/07 15:07 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it new, put 160,000 miles on it with only an engine mount and electric cooling fan replaced, and several burned out bulbs. Other than that, routine fluid/filter changes, couple of batteries and one tune up plus some tire replacement and brake pads...thats it! Reliable! Never let me down, never stranded me, never disapointed me! Still looks new, red sports model 4 door, I put a cd player in it when my son was starting to drive it.

Alright Car
By daf58 on 08/08/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car at 30,000 miles. Has been very good to me, only minor repairs have been needed. Have owned this car for almost 10 years and I am very pleased, I now have close to 180,000 miles and this little Escort is still running strong.

Reliable, Reliable, Reliable
By Christopher on 04/04/07 19:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned. It is not a cool ride, but when it is as inexpensive as it is, and never costs you a dime once you purchase it, I feel pretty cool driving it.

Finally giving up the ghost
By frata on 11/13/06 20:45 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car from my sister when it had 95,000 miles one it. Now it has 130,000. It is the "fancy" model with power windows, power locks, keyless entry, alarm, power mirrors etc. Until now it has been absolutely reliable with no problems whatsoever. Recently the service engine soon light came on and I took it to the shop and they replaced the oxygen sensor. This solved the light for about a day until it came on again and the engine started to act like it was trying to cut out. It was a great car but it is not worth putting any money into. I would recommend this car to someone looking for a used car. Make sure it is a low mileage one though, it is an economy car and falls apart with old age, apparently.

Great Little Car
By Rachel on 06/11/06 11:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This little car has been great! It was my mother's car and now mine and we've pretty much run it until it could go no more. I'll be replacing it soon, but it's been super reliable. The only problems I've had have been recent...once it was over 110,000 miles!