Used 1997 Ford Escort LX Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort Wagon - Consumer Reviews

LX 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (23 reviews )

Ford escort 97 station
By micamans

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car a year ago second hand. I needed a cheap car to get me to work and just prayed it would not die on me even though it had 220000 K's on it. It now has 310000 It still gets me from A to B fine. Ive had the problem that it sometimes refuses to go into first gear. This problem has something to do with the sync rings in the gearbox but the problem just seems to sort it's self out. Other then that I have not r had any problems with the car. It is quite sluggish compared with all of these modern cars here in Europe and the suspention is like spagetti in the corners, but hey it is no racing car.

It is still going after all of these miles....this makes you happy

Just give it a little love, and it will treat you well in return.

Excellent temporary car, wouldn't recommend long term
By brendan12090

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Have had this escort for a little less than a year and it has just been terrible. Everything has had to of been replaced including, all four struts, both lower ball joints, full exhaust, and little repairs along the way, I should have just bought a new car! Although it has many problems, it refuses to die and for that I gave it a 4 in reliability. Moving on to a Toyota because of their reliability. But for cheap temporary transportation it's a good car and gets relatively good gas mileage. Cheap to repair but nothing is extremely cheap. Engines aren't too bad and the transmissions aren't terrible either, but the body style is absolutely ugly and it rusts so quickly!

Gas mileage, Roof rack, that's about it

Body style, interior comfort, interior style, but they don't make it anymore so it's speaking to deaf ears.

Great at first but awful now
By brendan12090

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I have had 3 escort models in my life span, so far the 96 wagon was the better of them all, I have a 98 escort wagon now and I've had to replace everything, except for the engine. I love the gas mileage but the cost of repairs is starting to go through the roof and about to just junk it because the unibody is rotted and will not pass inspection and to think it's 2013 and it barely has 95000 miles on it, amazing, anyways if you want reliability go foreign stay away from fords

gas mileage

everything

300,000 kms and still going strong!
By emersome

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Bought my Escort Wagon used and best money I've ever spent on a vehicle so far. Plenty of cargo space but small enough you can park anywhere. Put winter tires on it and is amazing around town; have passed half-tons stuck on the side of the road. Can even do some light off-roading. Easily put 2 kayaks on top and has enough clearance that you can get where you need to go. Little slow off the start but once its going has lots of pep. With regular maintenance its been very reliable and is still zooming along at 300K. And fuel mileage is awesome! Had a hatchback Escort before and wasn't too thrilled but the Wagon has really been impressive.

Fuel mileage. Cargo space for non SUV. Capability in winter.

Better factory sound system; hard to put in after-market if you want to improve it. Rubber/plastic mats and a liner for the back.

1997 Ford Escort station wagon
By Fay Forto

1997 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

It drives like new. I enjoy driving it and it is a great gas saver. I can drive all day long and it is fun to drive it. It takes 5 passengers including me the driver. It drives very smoothly. I can put groceries behind the back seat. I can also put things on top of the car. It is very useful to me. I love it because it gives the same comfort just like a mini van or SUV. It is very comfortable. It provides what I need in a car. I do not have to spend a whole lot of money buying an expensive car because this one provides me what I really needed in a car. I enjoy driving it and I want other car owners to know that it is not just foreign cars that saves me gas. I am happy with it.

My favorite features are the following: First, I like this car because it has 4 cylinder that saves me lots of money on gas. Second, I can have four other people ride with me. I feel comfortable driving it because it drives very smoothly. It drives and ride like new. I don't have to buy a new car.