1997 Ford Escort Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1997 Escort Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Sort Reviews by

Great 1st Car!
By LizzyLouBorne

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car for me in January, when I turned 17. She paid $1,500 it only had 123,000 miles on it. It was from an older couple. The interior is in perfect condition. I can't say much about how it runs because I finally went take my driving test yesterday, and I passed. I drove it all day long. The only problem I have is there is no AC. I am getting that fixed very soon, though. The only set backs are I have read about shaking when it idles low or something, and there is no tape or cd player. It's good for me though because I don't need it. I am having a problem with it shaking when I am parked, but other than that it runs like a champ.

Favorite Features

The interior is great and its a go getter.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel should be able to move.

First Car Is Always Best!!!
By leia

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

Got this as my first car. I purchased it with 81,000 miles and 6 years old for $1200!!! A steal!!! The only things it has ever needed is basic wear and tear items. 175,000 miles now and the water pump and timing are still original. Still run conventional oil with no leaks. AT does not slip and has no leaks as well! This has been my greatest purchase ever!! I wish Ford would make another one. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!!!

Favorite Features

Manual everything except trans. Great for first time drivers!!!

Suggested Improvements

Make cup holders deeper so carpet doesn't get ruined and a little more leg room in the back seats.

Never liked it, but it keeps going
By never liked it

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

Cup holders are too shallow, things always spill. I have had a number of O2 sensors and other such things replaced. Had to take it back to the dealer a week after purchase...entire top end replaced under warrant at about 34,000. It now has 150,00 on it. It leaks/burns oil, the radiator leaks, the AC compressor self destructed, the trannyis starting to slip, I've had two exhausts put on it, I've done a couple brake jobs. Like all these cars the rear springs are broken and the front end wears. Also, I have always found this car to be incredibly underbraked. I could, from day one, slam the brake pedal with both feet and not lock up the brakes.

Favorite Features

Ability to just keep going.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful brakes, a better stereo, bad choice on the rear springs.

1997 Ford Escort
By Unice Redd

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I love to drive and this car was a challenge at first, (5 sp) but once I got the hang of it...Had only one mechanical problem, needed a check up. Durable, dependable, great on mileage, low maintenance.

Favorite Features

Entire audio system is remarkable, mileage is true for gas in city and open road. Very quiet. Low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room is needed in the back

My Escort
By fubar1

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I really like my 1997 Escort. It has lots of power and I really like the handling on dirt and asphalt roads. My only complaint is that the back of the car is too light and it likes to slide when going through curves on dirt roads at high speeds. But I added weight and it is great now.

Favorite Features

The engine power is the greatest

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and more weight in the back if the car. Other than that it is a great car.

unbelievably reliable
By Sab

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Escort for 7 years now, and have no complaints. I am a hard driver. I brake hard, drive fast, do a lot of u-turns, and am just plain aggressive, and my car has withstood it all. I've always maintained it well, with regular oil changes, fixed the brakes every few years, but have never had to do any major repairs. I've not rust-proofed it, and it only started to rust a couple of years ago, which I think is good. There seem to be virtually no blind spots either (with the exception of the usual one). I would recommend to anyone that they purchase this car. It would make a great starter car. I'm not parting with mine, unless she finally kicks the bucket.

Favorite Features

Color...fantastic fuchsia-like purple. All car manufacturer's should have one exceptional car color. Lack of blind spots. Good pick up for a little engine. Lack of repairs required.

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders.

A working man's (women's) car
By Fordy Something

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I bought 2 brand new escorts, manual trans, the same exact day. At the time, I traveled over 750 miles a week. I swapped every other week attempting to have the cars outlast the loans. After 8 years and 330000 total miles on these 2 cars I can only say it was one of the better decisions I've made. Only major repair was the radiators on both failed the same week within a 1000 mi. of each other at about 100000 miles. That's it, aside from regularly scheduled maintenance. Unfortunately, the one with 150000 on it got rearended and the other with 180000 is getting tired. I'll miss them both. I suppose I'll never get this lucky again when it comes to purchasing a car.

Favorite Features

manual trans gives it some guts - reliability was second to none - economical and affordable to operate

Suggested Improvements

Install the same reliability in all cars! Especially the one I choose to buy next .... PLEASE!

Best Buy for the Money!
By EscortLover4-Ever

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new, after giving up my '88 Escort with 216,000 miles on it. This car currently has over 220,000 miles on it and I'm going for at least another 30,000! The car has been very dependable. Have spent maybe $2,000 on total repairs (other than maintanance) in 8 years. Still get great mileage on the highway (checked last week and got 36 mpg). They'll have to peel me out of this one before I give it up. I'm just sad that Ford did away with the Escort - can't beat the value and the performance!

Favorite Features

Mileage, reliability.

It really is okay...
By Husoni

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

At first I had some issues with look of the vehicle as well as my experience with the dealership, but over the years I trully can not complain. I have backed into poles, other cars, spun out on the free way and still I have not had any injuries or had any repairs required. "it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin..." really. Gas is great as well. It's like my own private bumper car.

Favorite Features

Gas milage

Suggested Improvements

Comfort, sleeker style, more storage consoles.

can't complain
By Ben Smith

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

i purchased this car from a family member with 105k on it. At that time, the car had never broken down, and ran like a dream (especially w/105k). Every 3k, the oil had been changed and all maintance recommendations were followed. I would average 28+ MPG, even while i was driving like an idiot. After 130k, the transmission begin slipping quite often and fuel economy began to fall off quickly. I can't complain about the cheap parts and quality when an escort makes it to 135k.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, disposable car to run into the ground, ability to corner quickly, 135k until problems started, always started right up, never broke down

Suggested Improvements

better sound system, more comfortable seats