Used 1997 Ford Escort Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great 1st Car!
By LizzyLouBorne

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

My mom bought this car for me in January, when I turned 17. She paid $1,500 it only had 123,000 miles on it. It was from an older couple. The interior is in perfect condition. I can't say much about how it runs because I finally went take my driving test yesterday, and I passed. I drove it all day long. The only problem I have is there is no AC. I am getting that fixed very soon, though. The only set backs are I have read about shaking when it idles low or something, and there is no tape or cd player. It's good for me though because I don't need it. I am having a problem with it shaking when I am parked, but other than that it runs like a champ.

Favorite Features

The interior is great and its a go getter.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel should be able to move.

First Car Is Always Best!!!
By leia

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

Got this as my first car. I purchased it with 81,000 miles and 6 years old for $1200!!! A steal!!! The only things it has ever needed is basic wear and tear items. 175,000 miles now and the water pump and timing are still original. Still run conventional oil with no leaks. AT does not slip and has no leaks as well! This has been my greatest purchase ever!! I wish Ford would make another one. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!!!

Favorite Features

Manual everything except trans. Great for first time drivers!!!

Suggested Improvements

Make cup holders deeper so carpet doesn't get ruined and a little more leg room in the back seats.

Never liked it, but it keeps going
By never liked it

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

Cup holders are too shallow, things always spill. I have had a number of O2 sensors and other such things replaced. Had to take it back to the dealer a week after purchase...entire top end replaced under warrant at about 34,000. It now has 150,00 on it. It leaks/burns oil, the radiator leaks, the AC compressor self destructed, the trannyis starting to slip, I've had two exhausts put on it, I've done a couple brake jobs. Like all these cars the rear springs are broken and the front end wears. Also, I have always found this car to be incredibly underbraked. I could, from day one, slam the brake pedal with both feet and not lock up the brakes.

Favorite Features

Ability to just keep going.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful brakes, a better stereo, bad choice on the rear springs.

1997 Ford Escort
By Unice Redd

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I love to drive and this car was a challenge at first, (5 sp) but once I got the hang of it...Had only one mechanical problem, needed a check up. Durable, dependable, great on mileage, low maintenance.

Favorite Features

Entire audio system is remarkable, mileage is true for gas in city and open road. Very quiet. Low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room is needed in the back

My Escort
By fubar1

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

I really like my 1997 Escort. It has lots of power and I really like the handling on dirt and asphalt roads. My only complaint is that the back of the car is too light and it likes to slide when going through curves on dirt roads at high speeds. But I added weight and it is great now.

Favorite Features

The engine power is the greatest

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and more weight in the back if the car. Other than that it is a great car.