Used 1997 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Escort - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

My dream car!!!
By amadisily

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in '99 after my previous one was totaled. It was a great value. At the time it only had 36K miles. Now it is at 308.6K! It still drives well but must retire. It has a tiny oil leak, but just started leaking radiator fluid from the engine and just sprung a gas leak. All in the past 4 months (3K miles). So, I'd say this car is AH-MAZING! I keep routine maintenance on the car, but I drive it like the sport car it is. It has held up royally! I still see them all over town, so I know they are great cars. But it's time to retire it and move on to a newer car. *sniff*

Favorite Features

I love that everything still works on the car after 17 years. The power locks and windows, the lights, the radio....everything.

Suggested Improvements

The interior ceiling fabric was coming down at the back window when I bought the car. I pinned it up and it has stayed. But now the rest is falling in. However, the car is old and this might be normal.

Ford escort 97 station
By micamans

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car a year ago second hand. I needed a cheap car to get me to work and just prayed it would not die on me even though it had 220000 K's on it. It now has 310000 It still gets me from A to B fine. Ive had the problem that it sometimes refuses to go into first gear. This problem has something to do with the sync rings in the gearbox but the problem just seems to sort it's self out. Other then that I have not r had any problems with the car. It is quite sluggish compared with all of these modern cars here in Europe and the suspention is like spagetti in the corners, but hey it is no racing car.

Favorite Features

It is still going after all of these miles....this makes you happy

Suggested Improvements

Just give it a little love, and it will treat you well in return.

Excellent temporary car, wouldn't recommend long term
By brendan12090

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Have had this escort for a little less than a year and it has just been terrible. Everything has had to of been replaced including, all four struts, both lower ball joints, full exhaust, and little repairs along the way, I should have just bought a new car! Although it has many problems, it refuses to die and for that I gave it a 4 in reliability. Moving on to a Toyota because of their reliability. But for cheap temporary transportation it's a good car and gets relatively good gas mileage. Cheap to repair but nothing is extremely cheap. Engines aren't too bad and the transmissions aren't terrible either, but the body style is absolutely ugly and it rusts so quickly!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Roof rack, that's about it

Suggested Improvements

Body style, interior comfort, interior style, but they don't make it anymore so it's speaking to deaf ears.

Great at first but awful now
By brendan12090

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I have had 3 escort models in my life span, so far the 96 wagon was the better of them all, I have a 98 escort wagon now and I've had to replace everything, except for the engine. I love the gas mileage but the cost of repairs is starting to go through the roof and about to just junk it because the unibody is rotted and will not pass inspection and to think it's 2013 and it barely has 95000 miles on it, amazing, anyways if you want reliability go foreign stay away from fords

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

everything

Ticking Bomb. Avoid !!!
By madcarpenter

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Our '97 Escort, 2.0 SPI engine recently succumbed at 121k miles to the well known, dreaded 'Dropped #4 Valve Seat' fatal engine defect particular to this poorly designed powerplant. ALL '97-'04 Ford vehicles using this engine are at risk of this happening as they approach 100k miles. Most consumer reviews of this problem claim it happened abruptly between 100k and 130k. It even afflicts vehicles that have been meticulously maintained by their owners! The steel valve seats pressed into the aluminum head of these engines expand and contract at different rates, eventually loosening. WHEN (not if) this happens, it's like dropping a grenade into your engine! Google it! Shame on you, Ford!!!