1996 Ford Escort Consumer Review: This is a hidden gem!

1996 Ford Escort - Consumer Review

This is a hidden gem!
By Escortfun on

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

This gem is fun todrive, very economical (38mpg in hwy450mi one tank). Costs nothing to maintain, other than the oil changes etc., and it is reliable and practical (it easily fits my bicycle). The manual I own is peppy and accelerates with the 5th from 55 to 80 very quickly. It can go (tested recently) over 110 mph! I have driven this baby accross the US (it has 140K) for 6 years, and it NEVER left me stranded. I love this car so much, that even though I am buying a brand new sports car, I will keep it, because even a price as high as $4000 is little for it. You found a 96-Escort? Buy it and do not think about it. A REAL bargain!

Mechanical reliability Fuel economy Lots of baggage space,with foldout back seat

Check engine light often comes on for no apparent reason! But ignoring it is the way to go.. Hey Bill Ford Jr.! Bring this car back in production please! This is the car that made FORD great, not the Explorer rolling-over monsters!